Menu

48 hours since braces put on and...

...she still can't, or won't, chew anything. She tried to eat pumpkin muffins I made this morning. She really wanted them. They are super yummy, super moist, and super soft. But she's only eating foods that can be swallowed whole...applesauce, yogurt, smoothies, milkshakes, and blended soup.

She's also tongue-tied. The orthodontist said he adjusted the wire on the expanders as far forward as he could, but it is still pushing against her frenulum, which is now white above and below the wire. It looks like it is slowly ripping it apart. We're going in for him to look at it.

Oh, and she's still crying.

I think my dd was sore for about a week or more when she first got hers - and sore for a couple of days after every visit for while too. She lived on things she could drink or spoon for way too long. After about a week, she was more hungry than sore and started eating normally again. I just gave my dd time and tried to not make a big deal of it. It is good that you're going back for the tongue-tied problem.

:grouphug: sweetie!

When braces are first "put on" there may be pain for a few days. I believe this is the pressure of applying all of that hardware. :001_huh: My dd was very sore for a few days, but she became used to it by the 2rd or 3rd adjustment. Hers went on Jan 2011 and they come off in 6 weeks - election day!

Just continue to give her puddings, ice cream, jello, soups, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. She'll be fine in time.

Poor kid.

My dd recently got braces. The problem was that once the braces were on, she couldn't actually shut her mouth all the way because of the hardware; hence, her teeth wouldn't meet (esp. from the middle to the back of the mouth), so there was no way for her to actually chew (except nibbling w/ the front teeth). I definitely didn't expect that!

It took my dd a couple of weeks to figure out a method where she could actually start chewing some stuff.

Poor baby! We had the same situation here. It is rough, but it will get better. If ibuprofen is something your family takes that may be helpful.

She had 1200mg of ibuprofen and 1000mg of acetaminophen Tuesday.

She had 2400mg of ibuprofen yesterday.

She's taken 400mg so far today.

Edited by joannqn

When I first got my braces it was WEEKS before I could eat solid food, and every month they got tightened I had nearly a week of not eating solids. I have a very low pain threshold so that didn't help. I had those things on for 4.5 years, that was a lot of weeks on soup and apple sauce.

OMG, your poor daughter! My son's braces caused him almost no discomfort at all. I think I gave him one dose of Motrin right after they were put on and that was the end of it.

Poor girl!

Same with both my boys.....I have no idea why though since mine were sore for days.

Sorry she's hurting so much.

:grouphug:

Our neighbor just got braces last week. Her dad told me yesterday that she cried for four days and couldn't eat anything.

I take my son in to the ortho later today for a check-up. He told us six months ago that braces were on the horizon, but wanted to wait until DS had lost one more tooth. I am so nervous about DS getting braces as he has sensory issues and can't tolerate swallowing any pain meds. :001_huh:

:grouphug: to you and your daughter.

If I had known how much braces hurt I might not have done it. But I am GLAD I did, and she will be too. I'm just as sorry for you as her. This is why I din't let my step dd visit ortho to see about braces for a tooth that was twisted in the back of her mouth that you couldn't see. All that pain for nothing? No way.

My biggest concern is the frenulum. Not only does it look like it is slowly being ripped by the wire of the bottom expander, but it is holding her tongue back. She can't touch her bottom teeth, let alone the top teeth, with her tongue.

She needs to have it clipped. Edited to add: They'll put her out, since she's older, then the doctor will hold her tongue out of the way and use surgical scissors to cut it back to where it should be attached at the base of the tongue. In an older child, she'll get a stitch or two to close the wound, babies don't need stitches or anesthesia. It's a VERY quick surgery, and it heals rapidly as well.

Edited by DianeW88

She needs to have it clipped. Edited to add: They'll put her out, since she's older, then the doctor will hold her tongue out of the way and use surgical scissors to cut it back to where it should be attached at the base of the tongue. In an older child, she'll get a stitch or two to close the wound, babies don't need stitches or anesthesia. It's a VERY quick surgery, and it heals rapidly as well.

I wish we would have insisted on it being clipped when she was a baby, but the current idea is to only clip it if it is interfering with feeding. She nursed just fine.

I noticed my youngest having issues with breastfeeding right away (kept slipping off which caused me pain) so her's was clipped. It was so dang easy. I think she only cried because we woke her up.

I need to find out how to get it clipped. Can the ortho refer or do we have to go see the ped? And how soon can it be done? Can they take the expander off until it is done?

They can do it with the expander and all the other hardware in her mouth. Since she's older, she'll probably need to be referred to an ENT or an oral surgeon. Peds will do it in the office for an infant, but not for an older child, since she'll have to be put out. Call your ped for a referral. Your ortho may be able to refer you as well.

Back from the ortho...

He pulled the lower expander out. He said it was a pretty large sore. He's going to see if he can get enough expansion with just the braces when they are put on (in 4-6 months).

Oh the poor dear! :grouphug:

I'm glad you were able to get her in.

Are you sure he didn't tighten them to much? Well its good that your getting her checked again. :chillpill: :lurk5:

Yes. The biggest problem is the expanders. DD is tongue-tied, so the wire going under her tongue was pushing against her frenulum and holding her tongue back. He had adjusted the wire as far forward as it could go in hopes she'd have enough room.

:grouphug: Poor thing. It sounds like she has a compassionate ortho though. :001_smile: Some doctors don't seem to care when kids suffer.

He does seem like a very nice guy. But it was obviously a pretty big problem when the device is preventing her from moving her tongue and cutting into her flesh.

Poor dear. :grouphug:

Are you going to have her frenulum clipped anyway?

I remember having looped, flat wires against the bottom of my 4 front lower teeth. I had horrible sores for years. I didn't even get wax. Of course, my ortho was a sadistic ahole. Sounds like yours is much better. it hurts alot to have sores in the mouth.:grouphug::grouphug: