Menu

Can someone help me with the wording for invitations?

I know I asked about this a while back, but I wasn't sure exactly what we were having for our 25th wedding anniversary. So know I know what we are doing but am stumped on the wording. This is what I know :

We are giving it ourselves.

It will be in our backyard.

I will be wearing my original wedding gown, but a friend of mine is making another dress out of the material. It will be ankle length, and strapless.

My 2 daughters will be wearing a matte silver long dress.

My husband and my son will be wearing black pants, white shirt, and silver tie.

We will be renewing our wedding vows by writing our own.

We will have beer, and non-alcoholic beverages.

We will have a buffet style dinner.

We will have a champagne toast.

We will have a three tier cake. Silver and White. This will be dessert.

We will have a DJ and a dance floor.

The pool will be open to those who wish to use it.

Okay, so how do I word all of this???????????

Help!!:tongue_smilie:

Please join us for dinner, drinks, and dancing as we celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary!

[date]

[time]

[location]

Weather permitting, the pool will be open - bring your swimwear/suit/gear (?)

Guests can find out what you are wearing, food details, etc., when they get there.

Sounds like a fun evening. Congratulations!

This is tricky...I'm guessing you want people to realize that this is a more formal event and not just a bbq?

Maybe it should be worded more like a wedding invitation with the focus on the vow renewal.

(So the invitation would be for the vow renewal with a reception to follow...even using a separate card to specify dinner, drinks and dancing)

Regarding the pool...how many invites are you sending? I'd be inclined to contact people closer to the date with a casual mention of 'we decided to make the pool available...' If it is on the invitation I think it brings down the formality of the event, kwim?

I've been to 25th ann. parties that are more casual without a ceremony. I've also been to vow renewals that were more formal. Depending on what tone you're hoping for I think you can find a way to convey that with the invitation.

Well, it isn't really "formal". Because we are having a buffet for dinner. No sit down, with meals served by waiters/waitresses.

I was thinking more casual.

After the short vow renewal, someone will do a toast, then buffet dinner. After that, I will go in and probably change myself into casual clothing.(I hate dancing in a long dress).

Thank you all so far for the help. :lol:

I'm a little confused by the idea that you will be wearing gowns, but the pool will be available for swimming. :confused:

I can only imagine your guests' incredible confusion as they try to decide what to wear to the party.

Personally, I would decorate the pool with some lights, fountains, or floating floral arrangements, and nix the swimming idea.

If I receiving the invitation, it would be helpful to know how you wished for us to dress:

business casual?

semi-formal?

smart casual?

leisure attire?

(Can you guess I looked this up on Wikipedia?!?)

Wow. I never knew there were so many choices. If the swimsuits were mentioned, my kids would want to be wearing shorts to the party!

Regardless, have a wonderful time!

If I receiving the invitation, it would be helpful to know how you wished for us to dress:

business casual?

semi-formal?

smart casual?

leisure attire?

(Can you guess I looked this up on Wikipedia?!?)

Wow. I never knew there were so many choices. If the swimsuits were mentioned, my kids would want to be wearing shorts to the party!

Regardless, have a wonderful time!

Since it's a backyard party and swimming is mentioned, "casual" will probably be assumed but it could be stated on the invitation so people aren't feeling underdressed when they see the hosts in more formal clothing (which they plan to change out of anyway ;) ).

Edited by marbel

I would make it a "renewal of vows" "party to follow" so that people know that there are two different things going on here - one more formal, followed by a possible pool party/casual dinner.

I would also identify which if my friends are truly helpful. I know in my life, I have girl friends who would ask, "Hey, can I help?" and I might have a list of things that they could do to help. One might do a flower arrangement for the cake table, others could be counted on to be in charge of an appetizer, others might lend me their wine glasses, and one would be dependable in terms of making sure my drunk uncle doesn't make an ass of himself or that my mother isn't ignored by the younger crowd.

But mostly, some girl friends are particularly good at casually letting others know details like, "No really, she doesn't want gifts, probably jeans aren't the best choice, you can change in her bathroom if you bring a suit and towel."

I just did this for my parent's 50th. I did an invitation, a RSVP card w/return envelope, and a designed business card for additional information/incidentals.

How about invitation wording like this:

Please join us on this joyous occasion

As we celebrate 25 years of marriage

And renew our vows

Saturday, October twentieth, two thousand twelve

At six o'clock in the evening

The Jones Residence

1111 Main Street

Denver, Colorado

Buffet Reception immediately following

Dick and Jane Jones (Large, fancy script across the bottom)

And then enclose a separate business card with a beautiful image of you and your husband either from your wedding in the background. (Ran me about $15 for 250 cards.)

Make sure the picture has enough one color space so you can add the additional information/incidentals like:

Who to call or what website for directions

Your presence is present enough

The pool will be available for those who want to swim after dinner

Etc... just make it 2 or three things total

I'm a little confused by the idea that you will be wearing gowns, but the pool will be available for swimming. :confused:

I can only imagine your guests' incredible confusion as they try to decide what to wear to the party.

Personally, I would decorate the pool with some lights, fountains, or floating floral arrangements, and nix the swimming idea.

I agree. Trying to figure out what to wear to a formal pool party would cause my head to explode.

I just did this for my parent's 50th. I did an invitation, a RSVP card w/return envelope, and a designed business card for additional information/incidentals.

How about invitation wording like this:

Please join us on this joyous occasion

As we celebrate 25 years of marriage

And renew our vows

Saturday, October twentieth, two thousand twelve

At six o'clock in the evening

The Jones Residence

1111 Main Street

Denver, Colorado

Buffet Reception immediately following

Dick and Jane Jones (Large, fancy script across the bottom)

And then enclose a separate business card with a beautiful image of you and your husband either from your wedding in the background. (Ran me about $15 for 250 cards.)

Make sure the picture has enough one color space so you can add the additional information/incidentals like:

Who to call or what website for directions

Your presence is present enough

The pool will be available for those who want to swim after dinner

Etc... just make it 2 or three things total

This............is perfect. Love it! Thank you a million times over!

I would be so confuzzled :) If you're all good friends, you can just explain that your family will be dressing up, but that everyone else can come casual and bring swim gear.

But - I'd be soooooooooo uncomfortable showing up in shorts and a t-shirt for a BBQ and then see a fancy wedding cake and you all in formal wear! The long silver gowns, I think, are the real confusing issue. I think you may need to reconsider and go with tea length in a more casual material?

If you can somehow let the guests know that it's only for the renewal and that you'll all be changing..... I dunno.... But I'm sure it will be lovely no matter how you do it :)

I would be so confuzzled :) If you're all good friends, you can just explain that your family will be dressing up, but that everyone else can come casual and bring swim gear.

But - I'd be soooooooooo uncomfortable showing up in shorts and a t-shirt for a BBQ and then see a fancy wedding cake and you all in formal wear! The long silver gowns, I think, are the real confusing issue. I think you may need to reconsider and go with tea length in a more casual material?

If you can somehow let the guests know that it's only for the renewal and that you'll all be changing..... I dunno.... But I'm sure it will be lovely no matter how you do it :)

We have a guest list of over 100 people. Many people I haven't seen in years. And some live far away. So it would be kind of hard to get it out by word of mouth.

As far as the long silver gowns for my girls, that is questionable. I do know for sure they will be silver.

As the above PP stated, I will enclose a seperate card for "incedentals" such as please bring swimsuits and towels as the pool will be open for use after dinner.Formal wear will be worn by the immediate family for the ceremony only, guests are welcome to dress casually should they desire to do so.

Or something to that effect.

Will enclose SASE for RSVP card. And a map of directions. Including parking information.

I like ChrisB's wording. Only because we will be in formal wear for the ceremony, but the rest is going to be a casual event. People might look at us and feel they are underdressed, and because our pool will be open, many of them may want to swim(we have a massive 20X40 inground pool).

Parking info must be included because we live on a private drive.

Directions as not everyone has GPS, and it is just a nice thing to do.

Since we are putting on the meal, I will leave out the "presence is presents enough" part. If people want to give cards or gifts, I will leave that up to them. That is not why we are having this event obviously.(Although there are some people who expect numerous gifts when they have big events such as this) It is to share a very important day with friends and family, and hopefully all of my original bridal party.:lol: