Menu

singapore math - intensive practice

mlktwins

Hi all! My boys have been doing MM for the past 1.5 years. I am going to add in Singapore's CWP. I am also thinking about the IP book for them. Would this be a good fit for kids that have learned using MM? For what it is worth, I have one a bit above average in math and one quite a bit above average. We are speedily going through MM 2A and will be done in a few weeks. I am afraid of missing concepts so I am making them work through it (not all the problems) to make sure I don't miss something they need to know. I also have Zacarro's Primary Math Challenge I'm getting ready to start. I know that they are not working to their level of ability and need to challenge them more.

Also, would you start with CWP and IP (if that is recommended) with 2A or go back a bit to cover my bases?

Thanks so much!

at 2nd grade level, I will only pick one out of IP/CWP. there is only so much you can do with adding and subtraction. DS didn't start CWP until he was 4th level and we add IP (so both) when he was 5th and 6th.

DD is on 2A, and we do not use anything other than textbook/workbook. I will have her start IP when she is 3rd to replace workbook. If your kids seem proficient on the concept and calculation. I will just move them on.

I started IP and CWP at level 2. We did not do all the problems, and actually, IP has a TON of problems. We mostly did the challenging sections.

IP and CWP are a great supplement to MM to make it more interesting and challenging for a mathy child. The techniques are very similar for the mental math. IP does explain a few techniques that weren't in MM, but they were easy to pick up.

Be aware that after doing the addition/subtraction section of IP2A or CWP2, you may not find any need to do MM2B. I think we did one little section on fractions that my son hadn't had yet, then took the end of year test. Most of MM2B is 3-digit addition/subtraction with regrouping, and a mathy kid will usually have that down pat after doing 2-digit, because they extrapolate to however many digits are needed.;)