Menu

If I were to stop R&S Reading (hypothetical question ;)

alisoncooks

I am still love-love-loving R&S Phonics.

Seriously... :001_wub:

However, I'm having 2nd thoughts re: the reading program. I was fine to give it a try, but the very first lesson -- 2 weeks in -- that we introduced sight words (made, light), my daughter looked at me with a face that just seemed to say:

"Wha?!?! You JUST told me that 'ma' said /ma/! What's all this craziness!?!!"

I could hear the cogs turning and echoes of "Warning! Warning! Does not compute!" :glare:

This is my child who, after many months of not getting it has finally been showing signs of progress & understanding with R&S phonics. I'm not sure I want to throw any wrenches in there....

So....if I were to pause R&S reading (Bible Nurture series) until...IDK, maybe phonics instruction is finished (until we've worked through Phonics 1 & 2?)... is there anything I need to be adding IN ITS PLACE RIGHT NOW?

Extra reading in terms of phonics readers? Check, got those.

Anything else? Comprehension activities? Just add narration to our current literature activities?

I usually start the phonics a few weeks before the reading so that I don't run into this problem. By the time we encounter the words that are intended as sight words, my children already know the phonics rules and can read them properly.

If you were to pause the reading program until you had progressed further in the phonics, I don't see why you would need to add something else in the interim. Phonics is the basis of reading, so there is nothing wrong with working on it alone for a while. It will definitely help give your child confidence in her reading when you pick it back up and she can do it, which is an added bonus. :001_smile:

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will just postpone starting the Bible Nurture readers (and not worry about adding anything extra, other than phonics readers). I think DD really needs to get her sounds/blending skills down pat. I'm considering doing both years of R&S Phonics before doing the readers that have sight words (then maybe do the readers at an accelerated pace, to get caught up to grade level). IDK how that'd work....just a thought.

I'd drop the reading in a heartbeat if she's not ready for it. But then, I don't use any reading curricula with my kids beyond learning how to read. We just read good quality literature instead.

Yeah.... we are reading together (I read aloud, often).

I just loved the idea of R&S's reading program, with it's Bible-based readers. :tongue_smilie: But -- I am reminding myself -- it won't harm anything to hold off for a few months. I don't have to do Reading Lesson 3 the SAME TIME as Phonics Lesson 3. :D

It's been a few years since we used the first grade, but I believe the sight stuff is only the first unit. Grades 2-4 cover the whole bible, so if you skipped all of first grade, you could start second without missing anything. We like (most of) R&S Reading for the first 4 years.