Menu

an athlete AND prediabetic...nutrition question

My 13yod is predisposed to diabetes. We've known that for a number of years now. She eats and her blood sugar spikes and stays spiked much longer than a normally healthy individual. Her blood sugar does not reach "diabetic" levels though. I manage this with a diet of protein, vegies, and complex carbs.

My question is this - she's a competitive swimmer....she's very lean and all muscle. She has grueling workouts 5 days a week in the pool.

So I'm looking at sports drinks that are supposed to replenish her after workouts and I'm sort of freaking out at all the carbs and sugars in them. She does not like Powerade zero, but I'm thinking she might just need to suck it up and drink it anyway. Do you think drinks like Gatorade and Powerade are worth it? Will her workouts sort of balance out the carb/sugar ratio she'd be drinking? I have doubts that water alone is going to give her the nutritional support she needs and I do know that she needs the carbs to fuel her workouts. Also regular Powerade (what she likes best) has high fructose corn syrup in it. I'm not thrilled about that either.

I'm sort of lost as to how to nutritionally support her this way. Any ideas anybody?

Thanks.

Michelle

If you feel it is essential to supplement with something other than water, I'd try unsweetened coconut water (sold in small aspectic packs). It has some electrolytes. Many are cut with fruit juice for flavor, which adds sugar, obviously. If she can tolerate the plain, I'd go with that.

You could also try something like half a packet of emergen-C perhaps, which would give her some replenishment. Emergen-C has added fructose, but one packet has far less sugar than a typical sports drink.

These may not be ideal ratios of electrolytes but I think sports drinks are also very much overused (eta: not in your case OP, just in general)

Can you also add some sea salt to foods consumed in her every day life?

Edited by Momof3littles

I am always a bit skeptical about drinks like gatorade being necessary. Unless you are an elite athlete are your electrolytes really that out of balance after a workout? I workout about 6 days a week for 1-2 hrs, I have upped the intensity of my workouts so it is usually closer to 1 hour lately. I ensure to fuel my body with food and hydrate with water before and after workouts. If you really are concerned you can always make your own (like this one) so you can control the amount of sugar or you can put a pinch of unprocessed salt in her water bottle.

The recommended after practice drink is chocolate milk! Really! :D

If you look at the nutrition info on Gatorade, etc. there really isn't much there. The electrolytes can be replaced with fruit or juice much better than sugar water. Swimmers need plain water more than Gatorade.

Here are a lot of articles about swimmers and nutrition.

http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=1635&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en

If you look at the nutrition info on Gatorade, etc. there really isn't much there. The electrolytes can be replaced with fruit or juice much better than sugar water. Swimmers need plain water more than Gatorade.

:iagree: During the Olympics I saw a video of Ryan Lochte talking about buying tons of chocolate milk that doesn't need refrigerated because it is perfect for after workouts.

In an exercise book I recently read (which I highly recommend) the scientists/doctors interviewed for the book said that the perfect after workout drink is a glass of chocolate milk. The milk has the protein and other nutrients needed and the chocolate syrup has the sugar to replenish the body but not as much sugar/carbs as an exercise drink.

Can she drink dairy milk? There is organic/natural chocolate syrup you can buy if you don't want high fructose corn syrup.

As other above have posted. :)

Edited by Kleine Hexe

I have tried chocolate milk with her in the past. The problem is she doesn't like milk ... of any sort. She chokes down the chocolate milk. She doesn't like cheese or yogurt either. :glare:

Her love for swimming might outweigh her disgust with milk. She's a pretty reasonable kid and I might be able to convince her the chocolate milk (or some other remedy) is worth it even if it doesn't taste all that great.

Thank you for your help and suggestions everyone. I appreciate it so much!

Michelle

Edited by Michelle O. in MO

:iagree::iagree:

Gatorade is not good....nope!

Artificial color, tons of sugar. I do not care what they say, THAT is NOT good for any athlete, let alone one who is Pre-diabetic.

We use protein and fruit shakes ( Naked Juice...especially the mean green...but watered 1/2 and 1/2). And chocolate milk. In order for muscle to rebuild, you need protein and carbs....but GOOD carbs from fruit...NOT processed sugar. This is one of my big pet peeves : sports and so-called sports drinks. Hmmmph.:glare:

In an exercise book I recently read (which I highly recommend) the scientists/doctors interviewed for the book said that the perfect after workout drink is a glass of chocolate milk. The milk has the protein and other nutrients needed and the chocolate syrup has the sugar to replenish the body but not as much sugar/carbs as an exercise drink.

Can she drink dairy milk? There is organic/natural chocolate syrup you can buy if you don't want high fructose corn syrup.

As other above have posted. :)

We have also used almond or coconut milk...yummy!

My oldest DS runs cross country, and his coaches won't allow any kind of sports drinks at practices or meets. They say they're nothing but junk. Even when they were doing long runs (seven to eight miles) in the August heat and humidity, the coaches insisted that water is the best thing for staying hydrated. Lots of water and lots of fruit are what they push.

Edited by Pawz4me
typos and more typos

Thanks for everyone's information about chocolate milk! I've seen alot of athletes promoting chocolate milk lately and I had no idea why!?!?! I mistakenly thought the chocolate was bad for my girls/swimmers :lol: Guess that will be their new after swim practice drink. They are going to be thrilled.

Yep to marksdailyapple. Might want to consider a higher fat diet for her as well. More butter, coconut oil, avocados, nuts/seeds. A higher-fat Paleo-type diet really helps my Type 1 mom significantly decrease her insulin needs. It wouldn't spike blood sugar the way Gatorade or juice do, would give her longer-term energy and even possibly stave off a Type 1 diagnosis.

A snack/muffin made of coconut flour might be a good option as well. Fairly high protein (lots of eggs in them) and high fiber, so any sweetener you use in it is released slowly into the bloodstream, not all at once.

My 13yod is predisposed to diabetes. We've known that for a number of years now... I manage this with a diet of protein, vegies, and complex carbs.

Do you think drinks like Gatorade and Powerade are worth it? Will her workouts sort of balance out the carb/sugar ratio she'd be drinking? I have doubts that water alone is going to give her the nutritional support she needs..

I'm sort of lost as to how to nutritionally support her this way. Any ideas anybody?

It sounds like it might be time for the two of you to sit down with a registered/licensed dietician who is very familiar with the diabetes piece. Familiarity with competitive sports would be beneficial, of course. Does she see an endocrinologist? Perhaps they might be able to recommend someone to work with her. If not, check with a sports medicine practice for a referral to a good dietician.

These are all awesome suggestions!! Thank you all so, so much. DD and I will give these suggestions a try until we find a good fit for her.

I hate, hate, hate having to be the food police in this house but I don't see that I have much choice. Seeing that dd has long-term swimming plans, she might as well learn how to fuel herself in a nutritionally sound way now than pay the price for poor choices later.

I also didn't know that there was such a thing as chocolate almond milk. I like that myself!!

Michelle

It sounds like it might be time for the two of you to sit down with a registered/licensed dietician who is very familiar with the diabetes piece. Familiarity with competitive sports would be beneficial, of course. Does she see an endocrinologist? Perhaps they might be able to recommend someone to work with her. If not, check with a sports medicine practice for a referral to a good dietician.

I've absolutely been mulling this over. She used to see an endocrinologist, but doesn't any longer. I might call her pediatrician and see if I can't get a referral to a sports nutritionist or something like that. :) Thank you!

Yep to marksdailyapple. Might want to consider a higher fat diet for her as well. More butter, coconut oil, avocados, nuts/seeds. A higher-fat Paleo-type diet really helps my Type 1 mom significantly decrease her insulin needs. It wouldn't spike blood sugar the way Gatorade or juice do, would give her longer-term energy and even possibly stave off a Type 1 diagnosis.

A snack/muffin made of coconut flour might be a good option as well. Fairly high protein (lots of eggs in them) and high fiber, so any sweetener you use in it is released slowly into the bloodstream, not all at once.

Type 1 Diabetes is not related to diet. Nothing you eat will make this disease develop.

Also decreasing insulin is not the goal for a Type 1 diabetic as their body does not produce it anymore and they WILL DIE without it. However, controlling her blood glucose numbers is what is keeping your mother from needing more insulin. if her blood glucose numbers were higher or she was eating higher grams of carbohydrates then she would NEED more insulin.

As for the op, i would recommend you speak with your doctor and find out what they want you to do about her "pre" diabetes control. Also what type of diabetes do they think she is predisposed to? I am assumming Type 2 as you cannot stop type 1 from happening with diet.

My DS just got home from cross country practice, and I told him about this thread and the chocolate milk recommendation. He said the coaches did recommend for the runners to drink it after practices and meets. DS never mentioned that to me because he can't stand milk in any form. But I thought I'd come back here to pass on yet another recommendation for chocolate milk.

She is a swimmer, not a football player sweating out electrolytes. She doesn't need gatorade unless she's at an outdoor meet all day. My kids are competitive swimmers and I rarely let them have gatorade. Exception being when we have an all day meet outside, in the TX heat (100's). Even then, I usually give them a vitamin water instead. Try silk chocolate almond milk or plain water w/ flavorings. Look for True Orange (or True Lemon or True Lime) if she needs flavor. Apple or Orange juice if it doesn't cause her numbers to spike.

If you feel it is essential to supplement with something other than water, I'd try unsweetened coconut water (sold in small aspectic packs). It has some electrolytes. Many are cut with fruit juice for flavor, which adds sugar, obviously. If she can tolerate the plain, I'd go with that.

:iagree: Coconut water works for us. Under no circumstances does my daughter's swim coach allow any sports drinks. They are not needed.

hth,

Georgia