Menu

Antibiotic question

Has anyone ever had a dramatic improvement in the first day of taking an antibiotic? I just started a 5 day zpack yesterday afternoon. By bedtime my throat felt so much better and I had a lot less congestion. Is it really possible it could have worked that fast? I'll also note that I had some gastro-intestinal 'issues' pretty fast too. Got those resolved with some probiotics, I think. Just wonder if anyone else has had this experience?

Yes, that can happen. Especially with strep throat. That's almost always better after 24 hours. It also depends on the antibiotic and how strong it is. Some work almost immediately...some take 48 hours before you see any signs of improvement. Also, if you caught the infection early and got it treated immediately, you will improve more rapidly than if you let it go for a week before seeking treatment.

This definitely happened to me!

I was dramatically better in one day, I was absolutely amazed. Then the major gastro issues started, and I mean major...which I eventually figured out was Lactose Intolerance. I guess these really fast-acting powerful antibiotics can wipe out your ability to digest lactose along with the bad stuff they wipe out. It's actually more common than I realized.

Anyway, hopefully that doesn't happen to you ;).

Yes.

My son had pneumonia and was on Zithromax and was much improved after one day. Unfortunately the second dose gave him hives and made it hard for him to breathe. I was very annoyed at having to throw out the Zithromax and go to the ER for a new antibiotic when the Zithromax was WORKING!

Anyway, yes, Zithromax can work fast.