Menu

S/O: Christmas Budget - Help Me, Creative Ladies!

Like some others I read, our "big" family gift is actually a cruise we're taking in April. The kids know this and are fine with this, plus we'll do stockings.

I'm going to surprise them with two things, though. First, we're going to let each of the three kids pick something to donate from Oxfam. Second, we've splurged on a really cool dolphin encounter excursion while on the cruise.

I'd like to find a way to make the opening of these gifts more fun, other than just writing it on a card, or doing a picture present. I'm thinking scavenger hunt or something like that. The problem is, I have NO idea how to even get started.

So, ok....now I need your help! Give me ideas of clues, or other presentation ideas, or whatever you can think of that will make this more of an event.

I need you!!!!

I've done scavenger hunts with clues several times. It's just a trail of clues all over the house (or even I've done them around the neighborhood) that ends at the present. Each clue leads to another, which leads to another, and so forth. I've also done follow the string to the present things where a string is wrapped all over the place and you have to follow it all over the house to get to the present.

I've done scavenger hunts with clues several times. It's just a trail of clues all over the house (or even I've done them around the neighborhood) that ends at the present. Each clue leads to another, which leads to another, and so forth. I've also done follow the string to the present things where a string is wrapped all over the place and you have to follow it all over the house to get to the present.

This is what I'm talking about!! I can't think of any good clues, though. I want them to be themed. It's as if every creative bone in my body has been turned into the off position.

I love the idea of the scavenger hunt! Can you get smaller gifts to give them each time they find a clue - a stuffed dolphin, the movie Dolphin Tale, dolphin safe sunscreen, pool shoes, etc?

I've also seen gifts like this end with a puzzle that the kids have to put together - so each clue would include a piece of the puzzle. Their gift is written on the puzzle.

Our family gift is a cruise too! I never thought of giving them the excursions as a Christmas gift! We just picked a couple out last night (zip lining near Dunn's Falls in Jamaica!). I think I'll do this too.

A couple "clues" I would use

1. (the one they open first)

For your gift this year, you need to work for each clue.

So, here is what you need to do:

Go to my bedroom, look under the bed;

Just be careful not to hit your head!!!

Put a gift there with another clue tied to it. Throw in a puzzle piece (if you decide to go that way!).

This could be really fun! I might need to steal some of these ideas!!

Oh - and they'll absolutely LOVE the dolphins! Where are you doing that? We've done the swim in Cozumel and then again at Discovery Cove. Amazing. My 6 yo even went out into the deep water and swam with them! She now wants to be a marine biologist!! She is obsessed with dolphins.

I love the idea of the scavenger hunt! Can you get smaller gifts to give them each time they find a clue - a stuffed dolphin, the movie Dolphin Tale, dolphin safe sunscreen, pool shoes, etc?

I've also seen gifts like this end with a puzzle that the kids have to put together - so each clue would include a piece of the puzzle. Their gift is written on the puzzle.

Our family gift is a cruise too! I never thought of giving them the excursions as a Christmas gift! We just picked a couple out last night (zip lining near Dunn's Falls in Jamaica!). I think I'll do this too.

A couple "clues" I would use

1. (the one they open first)

For your gift this year, you need to work for each clue.

So, here is what you need to do:

Go to my bedroom, look under the bed;

Just be careful not to hit your head!!!

Put a gift there with another clue tied to it. Throw in a puzzle piece (if you decide to go that way!).

This could be really fun! I might need to steal some of these ideas!!

Oh - and they'll absolutely LOVE the dolphins! Where are you doing that? We've done the swim in Cozumel and then again at Discovery Cove. Amazing. My 6 yo even went out into the deep water and swam with them! She now wants to be a marine biologist!! She is obsessed with dolphins.

This is GREAT stuff! I'm totally doing the puzzle thing. And I'm going to make the hunt obnoxiously long. :lol:

We're doing it at Blue Lagoon in Nassau, primarily because I hate Nassau and prefer not to even get off the ship there. My kids have never been there because, for whatever reason, every time they've cruised with Nassau on the itinerary we've missed it for some reason or another (primarily weather). Now they're obsessed with going, so I had to find something to do that I could actually tolerate.

This is GREAT stuff! I'm totally doing the puzzle thing. And I'm going to make the hunt obnoxiously long. :lol:

We're doing it at Blue Lagoon in Nassau, primarily because I hate Nassau and prefer not to even get off the ship there. My kids have never been there because, for whatever reason, every time they've cruised with Nassau on the itinerary we've missed it for some reason or another (primarily weather). Now they're obsessed with going, so I had to find something to do that I could actually tolerate.

Awesome! We also stay on the ships in Nassau. Now, watch. Nassau will be your kids' favorite port!!! :)

Awesome! We also stay on the ships in Nassau. Now, watch. Nassau will be your kids' favorite port!!! :)

I seriously hope not. Or, if it is, we'll have to pick different itineraries! This particular cruise is definitely not for the ports. I picked it for the ship. It'll be the only time I've ever been on the same ship twice.

We chose our next cruise for the ship too. Have you ever been on the Independence of the Seas?

Which ship are you on this time? I can't believe this is the first time you've sailed the same ship twice!! I'm nervous because this is the first time we're not taking the Disney Magic/Wonder!!!

I haven't been on the Independence of the Seas. The only RCCL ship I've been on is Majesty of the Seas, and it was so long ago it was the newest ship in the fleet at the time (think mid-90s). I've also never been on Disney.

I've stuck pretty much to NCL for quite some time, with a few Carnival thrown in here and there for good measure. This next ship is the Epic, which is hands down the most amazing ship (and best cruise) I've ever sailed. Ever. Very unique, great entertainment, amazing food...I can't wait to see my husband's face when he boards.