Menu

Has anyone else had this experience with Amazon

lynn

Prices go up and down all the time. I really don't understand why that happens, and I've sometimes wondered if Amazon is playing mind games or doing psychological research to find out how many people will actually buy at a certain price point. I think it's really just a supply/demand thing.

It's fun to leave stuff in my cart and watch the prices go up and down. I check them every day or so just to see what is happening. If a price goes way down, I'll consider buying the item.

Yes, I've seen prices change too.

I've had a book in "save for later" for months now. (I don't know why I don't either buy it or delete it.) Price goes up and down every time I look at the cart. It does seem odd with books, because in a store book prices stay the same, but then in Barnes & Noble they are not discounted to begin with.

Yes, this happens all the time and has for as long as I can remember. It's not too concerning, but a little aggravating to buy something and have it go down. :glare:

I also see a lot of listings for the same item at different prices. Particularly on small stuff and food items. Be sure to thoroughly check your search results. (Some are amazon, some are fulfilled by amazon and some 3rd party sellers. Be sure to compare all and figure shipping etc.)

Prices go up and down all the time. I really don't understand why that happens, and I've sometimes wondered if Amazon is playing mind games or doing psychological research to find out how many people will actually buy at a certain price point. I think it's really just a supply/demand thing.

I was just about to check out with something (electronic) last week, and the price jumped $13. I got so mad. I was going to just wait for it to go back down, but I have decided I don't need it, instead.

I use camelcamelcamel sometimes too.

I've noticed them going up and down, usually by just a few cents. I usually assume it has to do with stuff coming from third party sellers. Every now and then there has been a substantial price increase and I kick myself for not buying something, but it was usually something I didn't really need anyway. ;) BTW, I've noticed that Zappos has started carrying some of the things I buy from Amazon at competitive prices.

Do you mean while it's your actual shopping cart, during a short period of time? Like you go put a few items in there, during the course of about an hour, and when you go to check out, the prices have changed? Or do you mean putting items in there, and then not checking out, and when you go back another time, to finish, the price has changed? In the second situation, I've seen changes, more often down than up though.

Yeah, what I do is if I need something, but I have a little wiggle room of when to get it, I check it out on camelcamelcamel. If it is just something I want eventually, I put it in my wishlist, and in the comments I put the lowest price I've seen. I check the wishlist fairly often and can often get steep discounts on things. For instance, we're considering getting a dome climber for our backyard. The one I have in our wishlist has fluctuated between $240 and $160, which is a pretty significant difference. This is not uncommon, either.

This practice also helps with impulse buying too. :)

Last week I bought a part for my kitchenaid blender. I looked on Amazon to see if they even had it. They did and it was .10 plus 3.99 shipping. I bought it right away. I was very happy they had it and wanted to show DH what I found. In the 30 mins since I bought it at .10 the price had risen to 5.00

Once, I had a very full Amazon cart. It was loaded for my school year big purchase. Well, almost everything had gone up. It was now cheaper to buy at Rainbow. So, I put everything into 'save for later'. 60 mins later I was about to buy from Rainbow (much searching and putting things into my Rainbow cart) and I was notified that everything had gone down in price. It was cheaper than it had been previously, and it was now cheaper to buy from Amazon.

We use amazon for a lot of things because getting to the closest shopping area is an hour roundtrip. I keep a 'save for later' cart with several hundred items and check every day or two to see how prices have changed. When Christmas shopping I check multiples times a day. There are always fluctuations but it can be played to your advantage if you don't need something right away and have a few minutes a day to check the prices.

For example. I had been wanting popsicle molds. I put several in my cart that were in the $10-15 range for a set of four. The one I really liked was usually $12-14. I checked it one day and saw that the price had dropped to under $9 and it was now part of the 3 for 4 promotion. I had to get four items - two sets of molds, a book, and another kitchen gadget and paid less than I would have paid for two sets of molds at regular price. I wanted to get more and tracked the price again to get the same deal.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/

Yep, prices on some things seem to never change, while other things go up and down by a few cents all day long every day, and still others change greatly over time, up and down. I purposely keep things I regularly buy (like vitamins) in my cart, as well as any books or whatever I may be interested in, then watch the prices. All you have to do is click on your cart at the top of the page, and you will get a list telling you what items' prices have changed.

Yes, that does happen not just on Amazon but on most on-line based retailers. The prices do go up and down independent of anything that you personally have done but I have read research about how your on-line habits affect prices as well.

For example, let's say you put an item in your cart but then don't check out. A company's has their computer set to raise the price so that the next time you check you will feel like you have missed a good deal. They do not expect people to buy during this time period. After another period of time they will lower the price to slightly lower than the price you first saw it at making it seem like a good deal and motivating you to buy it before the price goes back up. If you don't buy then they will continue to lower the price until they reach their set point. All the while, their site is tracking you and you end up with ads for the exact item you are looking at all over the place - Yahoo, YIM, FB, etc. If I ever look at something that I want but am not ready to buy I will check it periodically until it comes up with a really good price and then I try to coordinate it with sales, free shipping, coupons, gift certificates or what have you.

VS currently has a pair of jeans that I want. They cost $60. I have already bought one pair at that price. After that I saw that they had them on sale for $45 so I wanted to buy another pair. Unfortunately, I didn't buy them then and now they are back to regular price but if I bought today I have coupons for a free pair of panties, $10 off all bras, a free tote bag for all purchase over $75, $ disocunts per certain amount spent and free shipping and I can use all of these at the same time saving quite a bit of money on items that were on my list to buy already.

I used to be the marketing/price controll person for a big box retailer. It is a tough, time consuming job that involves a lot of work. The issue can be so much more complex than the example that I just gave you. One way to check on Amazon is to have someone else that doesn't have the same IP address check the price of the item and see if it is the same as the price of the item in your cart. If you price is higher, you will know that it was because it was put in your cart. In that case, move it to a buy later or wish list and track the price until it reaches a price that you are willing to pay.