Menu

We are thinking of speaking to a military (army?) recruiter.........

I didn't, but it could have been a summer thing? I left GFAFB and went to Ft Devens for the summer. I don't think it exists anymore. Too bad. It was nice. Did my EWAC there.

Yes, it was only during the summer for students on the day shift. I was there in the fall, so we started out with PT in the early AM and after a couple months it was switched to afternoons after class.

I thought it quite funny when I was stationed at Ft. Hood that no one there seemed to take the heat seriously...there were no "flags" dictating how much outdoor activity was safe. If someone got a bee in their bonnet and thought that the unit had too many PT test failures and wanted everyone to do PT in the afternoon as well, no one thought that it would be a safety issue.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Joanne,

I didn't read through all the posts, but one of my older brothers (not very academic, but super creative) went into the Navy because my parents couldn't afford to pay for college for us.

He served his years as a cook. He was stationed in Hawaii and got to travel the world. When his time was up, he got out, took his GI Bill and went to college (University of Texas -- Austin, I think). He is vice president of an advertising agency now. :)

Actually, you know what? I *am* insulted. Why would I post if HE weren't interested? Why would you even POST that?

You can allow your young adults to move on without information, coaching, support. In spite of having many military people in our family, we are not a military family. Being HIS FREAKING MOTHER and 46, I know it's prudent and wise to ask some questions about how best to go about this before we sit in front of a trained professional who will want to woo and seduce him into service.

Good Lord.

I think your use of the word "we" in the OP made it sound like his parents were looking into this primarily.

I would have said "my son is interested in ___, are there any resources he should know about?"

I think your use of the word "we" in the OP made it sound like his parents were looking into this primarily.

I would have said "my son is interested in ___, are there any resources he should know about?"

Sadly, as you know, Joanne's husband can't really help her with this right now. Encouragement would be far nicer than snarkiness.

Sadly, as you know, Joanne's husband can't really help her with this right now. Encouragement would be far nicer than snarkiness.

I read no snarkiness nor meant any. Honestly when I read "we are thinking" on this [parenting-oriented] board, I assume "we" means parents.

Also, it is my understanding that Joanne's current husband is not her son's father. Though her son's father is her ex, he still has input into his son's future, hence her comment that he can't help pay for college.

Joanne, I have to admit that, until you clarified, I didn't get the impression that your son was interested in joining the military, either. I was thinking that you and your ds's father were trying to think of some good options for him, and you were trying to get some information and opinions about it before you suggested it to him.

This is how the original post came across to me as well.

Hi Joanne,

I think the military provides many opportunities to our young people today. If your son is interested I say go for it! Our family has definitely benefited from serving our country. My dh started his military career in 1982 as an enlisted soldier. Earned money to go to college and did that and reentered the military in 1987. We got married and had our first child. He won a scholarship while deployed-Green to Gold and we left the military for college and ROTC program.

Came back on active duty as an officer in 1995 with a PharmD degree and it's been a wonderful experience for our family. We have traveled all over the US, lived in Korea for 2 years and Europe for 7. All this to say...if he's interested and can work hard...he can do anything he sets his mind to. Best wishes for your family. :grouphug:

:iagree: "We are thinking of speaking to a military recruiter for our son" was the opening line. I thought it was putting out feelers before approaching the son. Easy interpretation to make.

Does anyone have experience with the Coast Guard? I always hear, "and don't forget about the Coast Guard!" but no one ever seems to be in it and have details! :lurk5:

Does anyone have experience with the Coast Guard? I always hear, "and don't forget about the Coast Guard!" but no one ever seems to be in it and have details! :lurk5:

Dh was in the Coast Guard.... way back in the early-mid '80s. We met about 6 months after he got out. For him, it was a great way to grow up a bit, earn money for college (completely paid for), while serving his country.

The one that made Joanne feel insulted. Not going to debate it, discuss it, etc; I was merely pointing out that she needed encouragement.

I think some of us have posted about this because we were trying to encourage Joanne that she shouldn't feel hurt or offended, not because we were trying to pile on the insults.

I don't understand why you think people are trying to insult her if they say they misread her original post to mean that she and her ds's father were looking into the military as a possible career option for their ds. I don't think anyone thought that was a bad thing -- I know I was thinking that it was great that she was trying to come up with ideas for him. I just didn't realize that her ds was the one who came up with the idea on his own, and that she was trying to help him get more information, but it really didn't matter to me either way.

I can't really speak for anyone else, but I know that I only posted about it because I felt badly that she was offended, and I wanted her to know that I believed that no offense was intended, and that her OP may not have been quite as clear to others as she thought it was. I truly hope I didn't come across the wrong way!

I don't understand why you think people are trying to insult her if they say they misread her original post to mean that she and her ds's father were looking into the military as a possible career option for their ds. I don't think anyone thought that was a bad thing --

I DON'T think people were trying to insult her!!! I was responding to ONE person who Joanne said she felt insulted by. And I quoted that person so I don't know why you thought I meant you or anyone else. I'm sorry you felt that way.

I DON'T think people were trying to insult her!!! I was responding to ONE person who Joanne said she felt insulted by. And I quoted that person so I don't know why you thought I meant you or anyone else. I'm sorry you felt that way.

Oh, that's good. I was worried that you might have meant me. :blush:

Hi Joanne,

I think the military provides many opportunities to our young people today. If your son is interested I say go for it! Our family has definitely benefited from serving our country. My dh started his military career in 1982 as an enlisted soldier. Earned money to go to college and did that and reentered the military in 1987. We got married and had our first child. He won a scholarship while deployed-Green to Gold and we left the military for college and ROTC program.

Came back on active duty as an officer in 1995 with a PharmD degree and it's been a wonderful experience for our family. We have traveled all over the US, lived in Korea for 2 years and Europe for 7. All this to say...if he's interested and can work hard...he can do anything he sets his mind to. Best wishes for your family. :grouphug:

:) I would think that someone who is "handy" would also find some great training and career opportunities from the military. That's just my impression - I have no idea IRL.

:) I would think that someone who is "handy" would also find some great training and career opportunities from the military. That's just my impression - I have no idea IRL.

:iagree: The skills you learn in the military can definitely be marketable outside the military and for a lot more money.

My dh joined the Army right out of high school and he says it was the best thing he did. He said it opened his eyes to the real world. I told him that's an understatement as he was deployed in Desert Storm.

His years with the Army taught him a lot and he recommends military service for young people.

We're not sure if our boys will be able to join the military due to health issues.