Menu

Frustrated/Depressed

I'm at a loss with my daughter and homeschooling. We have homeschooled since she was 5, she is in 6th grade now. For the first 5 years we used a box curriculum and after fourth grade I deemed it unfit for us. Since then I've been using different curricula for everything. Text books didn't work very well, she disliked reading them and answering questions, she loved worktexts though. Well this year, everything is like pulling teeth, she is eleven and in sixth grade.

This year we started out pretty well. Teaching Textbooks Math 7 with Life of Fred, for math and she loved it. Now she hates it all and feels stupid thanks to Teaching Textbooks. We have also given up Life of Fred. We are using MEP year 6 now, but it's a trial.

For writing we are using Writing With Skill. We are taking it slowly and she is learning quite a lot, but when I try to get those skills to other subjects it's like hitting a brick wall. She can not make a sentence for science or history. Leading to science and history not working out well. Reading encyclopedias that she needs to outline and summarize doesn't happen.

We are using HAKE Grammar 6 and she is flying through it, but cannot connect the grammar with sentences out side the work.

Literature is going well, since she reads and I ask her questions orally.

I don't know what to do with her anymore. I'm so ready to just give up. I'm tired of my daughter feeling like she is stupid. She is very hands-on and she prefers to read vs being read to.

A lot of it could simply be her age. But even if she doesn't show you, if her grammar skills are good - she will carry it over. She has the knowledge. Application will come (in my experience). As far as math, maybe if you sit with her and let her talk through the problems some days instead of writing it. When my dd11 starts heading to a break down I will do most everything orally with her for a few days. Give her a little break from the monotony, kwim? That seems to reset her and she can get back into the swing of things. Good luck!

Hmm... can you just use some of the ideas of a more creative output? Maybe drop the history and science outlining in favor of longer narrations and projects she decides?

We are going to try typing on the computer for almost everything she would need to write out. If that doesn't work, we will try longer narrations and do what projects we can.

A lot of it could simply be her age. But even if she doesn't show you, if her grammar skills are good - she will carry it over. She has the knowledge. Application will come (in my experience). As far as math, maybe if you sit with her and let her talk through the problems some days instead of writing it. When my dd11 starts heading to a break down I will do most everything orally with her for a few days. Give her a little break from the monotony, kwim? That seems to reset her and she can get back into the swing of things. Good luck!

With MEP, I go over just about everything with her, or we write down problems and see who can complete it the fastest. It works and we have fun. I'd do it with everything if I could figure out how.