Menu

Would Beast Academy be good for this child?

MrsBanjoClown

I'm considering BA for ds1 (almost 8) for next school year. He is currently working through SM2. He is doing well, but he has trouble staying focused (I've mentioned this problem here before). He says he thinks the computation problems are boring but he likes word problems. We just started working on CWP2 and I think he liked it. He sometimes makes mistakes because he forgets to write down whatever number he is carrying (we are working on addition/subtraction with borrowing right now). Other than that, he is not really having trouble with it other than taking forever to get the problems done. He has a very vivid imagination and is very into storytelling and acting out stories. He is constantly thinking about other things, singing, staring off into space, or asking questions while he is supposed to be working his math problems. He has been identified as gifted by the ps. There is also a chance that he has ADD-inattentive, but we have not had him tested.

I think that the way BA is formatted may help him focus better since it seems to be based on a story (is this correct?). I am worried about it frustrating him, because he is a perfectionist and hates to get answers wrong. I think that is where my ultimate decision has to be made. Is it going to keep him interested enough to counteract the frustration and the reactions he may have to being frustrated? It's hard to know right now where he will be next summer, and I know we have plenty of time to decide, but I wanted to try to get some input from someone who may see some similarities between ds and one of their own children.

If we don't do BA, we will stick with SM. As much as I wish we could, I don't see us being able to purchase both.

Yes, I think it would be a good fit, or at least worth trying. BA is super engaging - many kids read the text again and again for fun. The practice book offers relatively fewer problems per concept, so it's good for bright kids who don't focus well on long practice pages.

BA does have some very hard problems in it. I think it helps my perfectionist daughter that the hard problems are marked with stars and each one has a hint in the back. We rarely use the hint, but it seems that just highlighting the idea that you're expected to struggle with this question makes her freak out less about it. She likes to add or take away stars depending on whether the question "deserves" them.

BA also includes specific elements in the text about coping with difficult problems. There are parts that seem to be written straight to the perfectionist kid. For example, the BA characters are on a competitive math team, and in book 3C there's a story about their team losing a meet. The characters have to cope with their feelings about failure and move on. This is an outstanding learning opportunity for perfectionists.

:iagree:with Rivka. My son has used Beast Academy 3A, 3B, and now is in 3C. He uses it as enrichment, but he would need the next books sooner than they are planned to be published. You are welcome to read this more detailed review I recently wrote about BA.

I also want to add that the Singapore CWP books are worth keeping no matter which curriculum path you choose.