Menu

2nd Grade Writing Options

ByGrace3

We are currently using WWE2, and while I do like it, it is a struggle. I am not into struggle these days and am really trying to make school as much of a pleasant experience as possible. DD struggles through the comprehension questions (often, not always) and dictation is a struggle.

What else is out there? I guess although I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet, I would like to know what all is out there.

Could we take a year "off" and just do narrations and copywork from content subjects? What would next year look like then? WWE 3 or would we have to do WWE 2 then?

My eventual goal is WWS, so what roads lead to that? :) Thanks!

Don't sweat it. I started WWE with my DS in 3rd grade and started with 2. He was just mature enough to handle it. We went through 2 and 3 over his 4th and 5th grade years, and now in his 6th grade year we are doing WWS. He is completely ready for it and doing well, but we are going slowly. I expect it will take him two years to complete it, but I'm okay with that. It is not an easy curriculum.

My DD7 was technically supposed to start WWE 2 at the beginning of this year, but it was too hard for her, and thus, a struggle. I went back to WWE 1 (about the half-way point) and it is just right. She simply is not ready for the level of dictation that WWE 2 has.

That said, she just "wrote" her first paragraph WWE-style yesterday. I guided her with questions and had her answer in complete sentences. I typed every word she said and when we were done we had an 8-sentence paragraph about the sinking of the Titanic that she was sooooo proud of! She read it out loud to her dad and brother and wanted to do another paragraph immediately...but we had to leave for her play-date with a friend. :-)

Edited by Hedgehogs4

Did you do WWE 1 before starting WWE2 ? IF not maybe she needs the 1st level. I have studied the samples and decided to start mine out on level one even though they are older. I can always beef it up if I need or want to, but I don't want it to overwhelm them, because I want them to think that writing is enjoyable. Mine are starting 3rd grade this year and haven't done any writing to speak of, so in answer to your question about waiting. I would at least have her do simple copywork for writing. And yes do your narrations in your other subjects.

Did you do WWE 1 before starting WWE2 ? IF not maybe she needs the 1st level. I have studied the samples and decided to start mine out on level one even though they are older. I can always beef it up if I need or want to, but I don't want it to overwhelm them, because I want them to think that writing is enjoyable. Mine are starting 3rd grade this year and haven't done any writing to speak of, so in answer to your question about waiting. I would at least have her do simple copywork for writing. And yes do your narrations in your other subjects.

We did complete WWE 1. She actually narrates well, she just misses many of the "details" the questions call for. Dictation is sometimes a struggle, sometimes not...

I really like the way WWE 2 is teaching summarizing, and I am ok with breaking up the dictation . . . so we may plug along. Just kind of wondering what the best options are in case I decide not to.