Menu

What do I need?

Kaleidoscope

DD11 isn't doing well with the current plan.

I have her doing busy work during the day. I want to move past this at some point of course.

I think i need a workbook based curriculum. Simple and straight forward would is what we need. She's on very very different levels in each subject... 1st or 2nd grade in some subjects and 3rd or 4th in other subjects. So I need the subjects totally unrelated from each other.

I care the most about math and comprehension. She's not a wiz, never will be a wiz. That's okay. But we need progress, nice slow steady progress.

So is there a workbook based curriculum that would cover everything?

Is your daughter good at independent workbook learning? Are you looking for curriculum to catch up on whatever gaps she may have in math and comprehension? Or curriculum for whatever level she is currently at now.

Maybe you can elaborate on what you hope for your daughter to achieve in math and comprehension in the next few months so that it is easier for us to suggest.

The best low / middle learner curriculum I have ever used which is very out of the box and can be quite self guided is Calvert.

Many virtual schools are now using this program, that is actually where we received our introduction.

Though we no longer use it (it was too structured for my DD1) If I had to go back to a boxed curriculum this would likely be it.

Calvert is slow steady learning with enough hands on experiments to keep many students interested. They also have a program for students that are older and are still having issues with reading comprehension.

I can't say that it will answer everything, but it certainly is straight forward, regimented day with a comprehensive schedule and plan.

Why would you have her doing busy work at all? :confused: Perhaps you mean something else by this than what I'm thinking?

I'm trying to keep her out of trouble while I homeschool 4 other children. I would love to let her do other things but instead she acts out, disrupts.... It's on and on.

Hopefully the busy work will reinforce something. At the very least though she gets to practice obeying. The more she obeys the more freedom she can have.

Is your daughter good at independent workbook learning? Are you looking for curriculum to catch up on whatever gaps she may have in math and comprehension? Or curriculum for whatever level she is currently at now.

Maybe you can elaborate on what you hope for your daughter to achieve in math and comprehension in the next few months so that it is easier for us to suggest.

No she isn't good at independent learning. I don't plan for her to do much on her own. At least not right now. I just can't juggle anything more than a workbook curriculum. Plus she seems to like workbooks. We can carry it with us easily too.

I just want progress. I don't know what she is capable of so I just want to move forward as much as possible.

The best low / middle learner curriculum I have ever used which is very out of the box and can be quite self guided is Calvert.

Many virtual schools are now using this program, that is actually where we received our introduction.

Though we no longer use it (it was too structured for my DD1) If I had to go back to a boxed curriculum this would likely be it.

Calvert is slow steady learning with enough hands on experiments to keep many students interested. They also have a program for students that are older and are still having issues with reading comprehension.

I can't say that it will answer everything, but it certainly is straight forward, regimented day with a comprehensive schedule and plan.

Have you seen CLE? or maybe AlphaOmega? Oak Meadow actually might work because you can tailor the assignments to her abilities. McRuffy works wonders here. It is simple and hands-on. The math goes through 5th right now and LA through 4th.

http://www.mcruffy.com/SEAnnouncement.htm

I have used Calvert PreK-6th over the years and I would not put a struggling learner in it at all (ask me how I know.). Maybe look at the Verticy part of the program.

Thanks for the info. I'll look at all you mentioned. I've never looked at workbooks so I had no idea where to start.

DD11 isn't doing well with the current plan.

I have her doing busy work during the day. I want to move past this at some point of course.

I think i need a workbook based curriculum. Simple and straight forward would is what we need. She's on very very different levels in each subject... 1st or 2nd grade in some subjects and 3rd or 4th in other subjects. So I need the subjects totally unrelated from each other.

I care the most about math and comprehension. She's not a wiz, never will be a wiz. That's okay. But we need progress, nice slow steady progress.

So is there a workbook based curriculum that would cover everything?

I suggest you look at Math U See for math. It is quite good for either slow and steady or can be accelerated, and it does not show grade levels but rather Greek letters, so you can put her where she needs to be and go at her pace, regardless of grade.

Maybe look at WWE1 for writing and related, and could also relate to comprehension? IEW for writing is also helpful for reading comprehension work. Or did you mean math comprehension?

Maybe just those areas now, and add on more when she is ready.

How old are the other kids that you are teaching? Can she learn with them?

My other 4 kids are 11, 9, 8, and 8. The ages look great on paper but it doesn't work IRL. She can do memory work time with us. That's about 30 minutes. At this point though that is all she can do with the rest of the kids. I have her in the room while we do geography and science. I have her drawing or coloring or sometimes doing copy work. She hears a little.

I want to get her back answering questions from our science book. She's good at finding the answers if I keep it simple... and that means she's reading some and at least getting exposed to some Science. She doesn't seem to understand it but maybe it will gradually build up.

I suggest you look at Math U See for math. It is quite good for either slow and steady or can be accelerated, and it does not show grade levels but rather Greek letters, so you can put her where she needs to be and go at her pace, regardless of grade.

Maybe look at WWE1 for writing and related, and could also relate to comprehension? IEW for writing is also helpful for reading comprehension work. Or did you mean math comprehension?

Maybe just those areas now, and add on more when she is ready.

I tried MUS before but I do have a level on hand that I could try again. Maybe it would work for her now. Well, actually, the level I have is above where she is.... but maybe in another 6 months she will be ready for it.

We are doing IEW. I do it one-on-one with her. She struggles. So far she can't choose key words. Just choosing words at all is hard. When she does finally make a decision it's not working for her... the words are usually not great choices and she can't put the sentence back together.