Menu

What Are You Teaching for Kindergarten?

PandaMom

Just wondering what many of you are teaching for Kindergarten. DD has cognitive delays, PDD-NOS and ADHD along with a few other issues so I don't want to overwhelm her but I do want to do enough to challenge her. She is capable of learning/doing the work but she is just doing it at her own pace. The reason I wonder if I am doing enough is that the director of one of her speech programs asked me if I was following state standards. She used to work for the school system. Short answer, NO. Right now we are using Singapore Math Earlybird, Wordly Wise 3000, HWT's, Lolipop Logic, and ETC mixed with MCP Phonics. She is handling all of this very well and is doing much better than most people give her credit for. I see others that are teaching science, social studies, geography, music, art, foreign languages, etc. I don't want to go overboard but I want to do enough so she doesn't get too far behind and have trouble catching up later on.

Susie

DD Dallas(7)

I did pretty much the same things you're doing. Last year, my special needs ds did phonics, math, handwriting and history. His history was just stories. The first semester, we did stories from around the world, and second semester was stories from American history. My goal was to focus on reading and math. Anything else was gravy.

That went for my three older kids too, when they went through Kindergarten, and they didn't have special needs.

This year, we're doing the same things (math, phonics, handwriting) but I added SOTW just a couple of times a week. I read some simple science picture books to him sometimes too.

Personally, I think the folks that who have a mile long list of subjects planned for K are usually overly ambitious. They tend to be the same people who get burned out early on.

What you're doing sounds great to me! I'm not sure what state you're in, but K state standards in most states include things like me, my family, my neighborhood and simple holidays.