Menu

If someone referred to their husband as their "lover"

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard it and always thought they meant "the one they share love with" not the person they have s3x with. It doesn't bother me, but I live in the PNW where hippies still live and thrive. :D:D:D:D

Yes, that's how I would understand it. When my cousins and I were little my grandmother always used to call us "My little lover", meaning someone she loved.

You know, not a week goes by that I don't hear that question. Or asking I know what caused it yet. lol

Ugh...I HATE that!! My SIL (also has 4 kids) has a great (and oh, so terrible response that I'm almost embarrassed to post)....."Yeah, we think it's do*gy style." or "Yeah, aren't you doing it right?" I don't know if she's seriously ever said it to anyone, but I wouldn't put it past her. :lol:

On using "love" from a previous poster. I call my dh and kids "love" or "my love" frequently and I really think it is from too much British telly and books. Like when they come to ask me a question, I might say, "What's up my love?" I don't think that is creepy at all.

"Making love in the green grass" from Brown-Eyed Girl doesn't mean s*x? Huh. That's what I always thought.

OP...after hearing "lover" from her a few times I would absolutely have to adopt the "lov-ah" pronunciation from the SNL skit and make up something totally obscene about me and my "lov-ah". Well, that is what I'd like to think I'd do, but I'd probably burst out laughing before I ever got it out of my mouth.

You know, not a week goes by that I don't hear that question. Or asking I know what caused it yet. lol

I seriously would say, "No! I can't figure it out!"

"Making love in the green grass" from Brown-Eyed Girl doesn't mean s*x? Huh. That's what I always thought.

I always thought BOTH songs were about sex. Especially since my dad would start ranting if they played the "cleaned up" version of Brown Eyed Girl on the radio. There are two versions of Under the Boardwalk, too...

I always thought BOTH songs were about sex. Especially since my dad would start ranting if they played the "cleaned up" version of Brown Eyed Girl on the radio. There are two versions of Under the Boardwalk, too...

I tend to respond that babies are caused by boredom.;)

And I thought all those songs were about sex too.

I don't think it would bother me. *shrug*

Once again, :iagree: It wouldn't faze me.

It wouldn't faze be but then again I grew up around a family member that called their significant other "Papa Bear" and "Daddy" (he did not have kids). It grossed me out as a kid, lol. I'm embarrassed to say I have called my husband Daddy in public more then once and have gotten some strange looks afterwards. It embarrasses me when it slips. :blush5:

Yeah, that on the other hand does give me a moment of pause. We are friends with an older couple. They call each other Mommy and Daddy. I'm fairly certain they don't have kids together.

I've never thought much about it when I heard women call their husband their lover. Now I will always think of this thread. ;) And I'll probably burst out laughing. :lol: Especially at the thought of the term "Sperminator" :smilielol5:

I have always called my dh either Daddy or my beloved.

But from here on out, I'm bestowing the title of The Sperminator upon him.

Better yet, let's make it very formal and regal official sounding:

The Beloved Big Daddy Sperminator

Well, it came from when I found out I was pregnant w/Princess. Until her, all my kids were 6-7 yrs apart. So, I christened Wolf 'the Sperminator'.

Then, when we found out we were having Boo, I called him that in front of SpecialMama. Much choking and spluttering followed.

Probably should've waited until she'd swallowed her sip of coffee.

Ugh...I HATE that!! My SIL (also has 4 kids) has a great (and oh, so terrible response that I'm almost embarrassed to post)....."Yeah, we think it's do*gy style." or "Yeah, aren't you doing it right?" I don't know if she's seriously ever said it to anyone, but I wouldn't put it past her. :lol:

On using "love" from a previous poster. I call my dh and kids "love" or "my love" frequently and I really think it is from too much British telly and books. Like when they come to ask me a question, I might say, "What's up my love?" I don't think that is creepy at all.

OP...after hearing "lover" from her a few times I would absolutely have to adopt the "lov-ah" pronunciation from the SNL skit and make up something totally obscene about me and my "lov-ah". Well, that is what I'd like to think I'd do, but I'd probably burst out laughing before I ever got it out of my mouth.

That reminds me of the time my car mechanic (!!!) asked me the infamous, "don't you know..." question (I was pg with our fourth). You should have seen his face when I said, "Oh yeah, and I just can't get enough." :blushing: <------- Mechanic

Yes! I prefer a delivery service. I'd rather not brew my own :D

That reminds me of the time my car mechanic (!!!) asked me the infamous, "don't you know..." question (I was pg with our fourth). You should have seen his face when I said, "Oh yeah, and I just can't get enough." :blushing: <------- Mechanic

:smilielol5:

what would you think? This person will say things like "My lover, Bob. . . " or "I'm going out tonight with my lover." She is not saying it in a joking way and there is no doubt that she's really referring to her husband. I realize that my husband is my lover, but it throws me off somehow when she does this.

My reaction:

:ack2: :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

That pretty much sums it up. :D

Weird and gross. I also don't like "my beloved." All of it is just too dramatic. Just call them by their name. I mean I understand pet names when you're talking lovey-dovey to each other but those 2 squick me out.

:lol:

I hardly ever call DH by his name, unless we're in a crowd and he can't hear me. He doesn't call me by mine, either, usually. But we don't call each other 'lover' ... :ack2: :lol:

I knew a woman who went on and on about how her dh was her soulmate, and I have to tell you, it was incredibly annoying.

I probably shouldn't admit it, but both my dh and I laughed a few months later when we heard that the "soulmates" were getting a divorce.

:lol: That's too bad, really... but kind of funny at the same time. :D

I don't go for the soul mate thing either. I'm always insisting there is no such thing, and DH thinks that soul mates are possible but it's not like you 'run into them one day' type thing, but that over years of marriage and all that, people become soul mates. Which makes more sense, I reluctantly admit. :D We still wouldn't ever call each other that, though.

Oh my that is hysterical.... :rofl:

Does she come from the English West Country? In my home town in the south west, 'my lover' is an ordinary term for.... well just about anyone. 'All right, my lover?' is the equivalent of 'Hello.'

Then you move to northern England and get called 'chuck'.

And then in parts of Scotland (women) get called 'Hen'.

Laura

Oh no! I call my DH "Love" (when I am talking to him). Not lover. And I never *refer* to him as my lover! I agree that is :ack2:.

But now I'm all paranoid about "Love"! Is it bad to call him "Love"? Or "My love"? It is my name for him (to his face). When I'm talking to others I always call him "my husband" or use his name. I never, never call him his name when I am talking to him. It feels so unnatural to me!!!! I just can't do it. He calls me Sweetheart, and I call him Love or My love.

So give it to me straight... are we horrid?! I'm scared to ask, but I also don't want to be freaking anyone else out! (We use those names in the presence of others also.)

:leaving:

My husband and I usually refer to each other in pet names or just goofy things (like spin-offs of our actual names). Once, a few years ago, I called him by his first name and he asked if I was mad at him!!:lol:

Does she come from the English West Country? In my home town in the south west, 'my lover' is an ordinary term for.... well just about anyone. 'All right, my lover?' is the equivalent of 'Hello.'

Then you move to northern England and get called 'chuck'.

And then in parts of Scotland (women) get called 'Hen'.

Laura

No, she is not from England. I think she's from California. . .

I'm always rattling on about respecting people's preferences when it comes to referring to their names, partners, and relationships. But "lover" really tests me on that, because I simply can't help thinking, "Eeeww." I just have to hope I could conceal the ICK response.

:iagree: and :ack2: to the whole idea. I knew a mom that called her kids that too, and I just about died every time I heard it.

Oh, my! You just explained my entire childhood! (Or, at least, one very confusing facet of it.:tongue_smilie:) My grandma always called her grandchildren "my lover" or "lover" and I always thought it was so bizarre. She was of 100% English heritage so that is probably why. I just thought she was a bit off her rocker.

what would you think? This person will say things like "My lover, Bob. . . " or "I'm going out tonight with my lover." She is not saying it in a joking way and there is no doubt that she's really referring to her husband. I realize that my husband is my lover, but it throws me off somehow when she does this.

I love it! I wish I had that feeling and motivation all the time. Sustaining the sexual side of your marriage is important.

I bet it makes her husband feel like a king! Even if he doesn't acknowledge it outwardly...

I would find it a little odd to be around someone as they referred to their dh as lover. It would be like being around during their bedroom talk or something.

I call my cat Lovie. :D

I call my dh: dear, husband, pumpkin, beef cake, and .... bunny butt :lol:. That last one I tend not to use in public. When in conversation about him I will just use his name or say husband.

Well, it's not how I roll but I'd find it nicer to hear that than some of the unkind names and nasty remarks I hear about some husbands. So I'd chalk it up to a harmless, somewhat sweet remark. I much prefer to see people happy with their marriages than complaining about them.

The only thing I call my husband to others his his first name or my husband. In a lighthearted tone to close friends I might say Mr. Lastname or "the missus" or the man of the house or something else random.

Speaking of weird names for your spouse, when I was growing up I can remember my dad referring to my mom as "my old lady." My husband would be a dead man if he tried that, but I guess because it was the 70's and all she was okay with it. :lol:

If DH called me his "old lady" I would knock his head off, seriously. :D