Menu

Caps for Sale Peddler costume

What a cute costume idea!!! I love it! :D I'd definitely start scanning local thrift stores, and let friends know what you're looking for too, in case they come across some. I'd think you could find them for a dollar or two apiece, but I'd start looking *now* before others are doing their Halloween shopping.

Maybe you could fake a stack of caps by

taking a circle of felt, sewing around it in big stitches, then pull the thread to pucker the circle. Stuff it slightly with whatever you have (even newspaper, shredded). Then hot glue a bottom piece of felt that fits the bottom of the now puckered circle and extends a bit out in a brim shape.

Make a stack of these by adding a couple of dabs of hot glue to the top of each finished fakey cap and making a tower of them. Maybe not *too* tall, or it might fall over. Anchor it all to a real cap.

?? Might work!

Not a tutorial per se but I would just cut two circles using a dinner plate for a pattern and then cut a circle out of the middle of one using a dessert plate. Then put the two circles right side together and sew around the outer edge. Then bind the small inner circle with a strip of cloth.

Edited by celticmom
correct spelling

Not sure how much you want to spend per hat, but I just got the Oriental Trading catalog in today's mail, and they have a bunch of hats in it that might work.

Child's bright cotton bucket hats, $16.00 per dozen

felt berets with elastic bands, $21.00 per dozen

neon cotton sailor hats, $16.00 per dozen

bright glitter plastic shiny top hats, $16.00 per dozen

shiny black plastic top hats, $6.50 per dozen

bright accordion cardboard and paper top hats, $10.50 per dozen

neon plastic gangster hats, $9.50 per dozen

and a bunch more.

orientaltrading.com

• 4 weeks later...
Maybe you could fake a stack of caps by

taking a circle of felt, sewing around it in big stitches, then pull the thread to pucker the circle. Stuff it slightly with whatever you have (even newspaper, shredded). Then hot glue a bottom piece of felt that fits the bottom of the now puckered circle and extends a bit out in a brim shape.

Make a stack of these by adding a couple of dabs of hot glue to the top of each finished fakey cap and making a tower of them. Maybe not *too* tall, or it might fall over. Anchor it all to a real cap.

?? Might work!

I would do something like this. The real caps on the 13yo above look great, but in our house Halloween costumes are all about improvisation. (ETA: That makes it sound like I'm criticizing the costume. I'm not -- it's fantastic! But we don't have any caps like that so we would have to improvise.)

I think what I would do is cut circles from corrugated cardboard and then cut fabric a couple of inches wides than the cardboard. I would fold the fabric over the cardboard and staple down the edges (playing around to make it look like a cap). Then I would hot glue all of them together. Perhaps one real cap on top for authenticity.

photo34.jpg

my little hermione granger and the peddler!

i used this tutorial for the felt caps. http://bjdmagazine.com/2011/01/22/tutorial-create-a-simple-french-beret-for-your-bjd/

i used this tutorial for the checked cap. http://mushroomvillagers.wordpress.com/the-eddie-cap-tutorial/

i used this tutorial for the bowtie. http://seekatesew.blogspot.com/2012/09/double-bow-tie-tutorial-for-boys.html

also added a picture of my little ones. they don't go to school so were not limited to a literary character.

meet gabby douglas and the boxer!

photo35.jpg

poor baby #5 had no costume.

Edited by brett_ashley