Menu

Picture Books That Might Save a Student's Life

Hunter

We've had some incidents in my building lately that could have resulted in injuries and one possible fatality, if I hadn't of intervened. Knowledge that is contained in picture books was all it took to see the danger.

Don't step in water that has live wires in it. No my neighbor didn't know how dangerous that was.

If you build something with a support, you cannot remove that main support and expect it to keep standing, without collapsing.

I know there have been some other recent incidents, but the particulars are fuzzy to me, now. I feel like I'm forever screaming and launching myself at people, lately. And then running to the library for a book to prove I'm not crazy. Well I am crazy, but just justified in my extreme reaction to the potential dangers. :lol:

I just thought it would be fun to list links to picture books that might just save a life. Sorry I can't list my current favorites, until I find a used copy I can afford. You know how Amazon and ebay prices rise when we start chatting about books. :tongue_smilie:

Safety Brochures and Pamphlets from Baltimore FD

OSHA safety posters and tri-folds

Although I confess I don't understand at all why you need literary support for predicting outcomes based on the law of gravity. I also don't quite understand how these people are still alive if they don't know about electrocution or how to stack blocks so they don't fall down.

Are you talking about adults or children?

Safety Brochures and Pamphlets from Baltimore FD

OSHA safety posters and tri-folds

Although I confess I don't understand at all why you need literary support for predicting outcomes based on the law of gravity. I also don't quite understand how these people are still alive if they don't know about electrocution or how to stack blocks so they don't fall down.

Are you talking about adults or children?

Adults. Many people in my low income building are disabled in one way or another, or just never received a proper education in the city schools. They don't believe me about things until they see them in print. I sometimes wonder too how they have managed. They tell me there is a God, and they must be right.

Thanks for the links. I just thought it would be funny to list short and pretty picture book on architecture and electricity and cooking and such. Usually we talk about testing and core standards and grade levels. Sometimes we forget the real priorities of an education.

It doesn't hurt to add a picture book a week on science topics that overlap with safety issues. Zero cost. Maybe save a life.

I have a very good friend who teaches disabled young adults who are learning to live independently. Most of her students function on a second or third grade level, so she repeats lots of lessons. Those repetitive lessons make so many more options possible. I wonder if your community has a similar service?

This is her company's website: Sycamore Services

Maybe you could post some of the OSHA posters near dangerous spots in your building.

We have a magic school bus electricity one that mentions the powerline thing.

Magic school Bus things are on my wishlist. I have a few books in the pile of kid's books I have set aside for children to help themselves to when visiting. One of the adults discovered them and is in love with them, now. My priority is the adults, so once they take a shine to a kid thing, it moves up the priority list. Thanks for the reminder. Magic school bus covers a LOT.

I just put this on hold at the library. It looks TOO funny! :lol:

This website is from the UK. Lots of useful stuff, including a "Safe at Home" video.

http://www.rospa.com/homesafety/resources/videos/safe-at-home.aspx

Thank you for the more serious suggestions. Sometimes I'm so used to seeing certain things, I think small instead of bigger. My comfort zone is to just get a picture book, bribe with a cookie and say, "after that incident, shut up, sit down, and let me read you the book that obviously should have been a part of your childhood, but was NOT!" Maybe that's wrong. I don't know. Making waves. Asking for things. It never seems to be worth it in the long run. Recently though I was told I'm becoming like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and no longer trust the people that can help me. I'm not all that familiar with the series, but it seems to make people laugh when they talk about it, and all nod.

But let's not get too serious in this thread. For today, lets talk funny and pretty picture books. I'm really looking forward to reading Professor Buckle myself, never mind sharing it with my primary daredevil.

Any good books on tree climbing safety? Yes there WAS a tree climbing incident recently. Thankfully a passerby intervened.

Food safety? Something humorous? Not for cooking, but things like how long it's okay to leave a 1/2 eaten hamburger on the counter?