Menu

FAFSA for Spring 2013 freshman - when?

PuddleJumper1

Ds has been accepted at his college of choice. He's currently a senior in high school - entering college Fall 2013. Should we file FAFSA now or wait until we file 2012 taxes? He's beginning to look at scholarships and grants (he's already got our state one (FL) and one from his college). Does this info need to be on file before he applies for outside $$?

Thanks! Finding this new stage in the journey to be quite something :001_smile:

eta - I messed up - he's entering Fall of 2013. I changed what I could but the title will live to tell the tale :)

Edited by StillLearning

I'd check with the FA office, esp since Bright Futures requires the FAFSA now. Usually you do them as early in the year as you can for entering in the Fall semester. Since he'll be starting in Jan, you may need to do them with 2011 taxes and then do a new one once you have the 2012 taxes.

I'd check with the FA office, esp since Bright Futures requires the FAFSA now. Usually you do them as early in the year as you can for entering in the Fall semester. Since he'll be starting in Jan, you may need to do them with 2011 taxes and then do a new one once you have the 2012 taxes.

Thanks. I'll check with them.

I messed up my original post. He's starting in Fall of 2013 not the Spring.

Thanks. I'll check with them.

I messed up my original post. He's starting in Fall of 2013 not the Spring.

If he's starting in the Fall of 2013, then you would fill out the FAFSA for the 2013-2014 school year. That version of the FAFSA is available on 1/1/2013.

Check the school's website to see if they require any additional financial aid forms to be completed. Some schools use the CSS Profile and/or their own forms in addition to the FAFSA. Some of these forms may have different deadlines, so it's always important to check the specific requirements for each college he is applying to.

Brenda

If he's starting in the Fall of 2013, then you would fill out the FAFSA for the 2013-2014 school year. That version of the FAFSA is available on 1/1/2013.

Check the school's website to see if they require any additional financial aid forms to be completed. Some schools use the CSS Profile and/or their own forms in addition to the FAFSA. Some of these forms may have different deadlines, so it's always important to check the specific requirements for each college he is applying to.

Brenda

Also, Bright Futures for 2013-2014 will open December 1. Once you file an app with BF and file your FAFSA in January, 2013, BF will pick it up.

Lisa

If you don't have all your info early in January you can send in an estimated FAFSA and update asap.

Thank you all SO MUCH! Between the three of you all my questions are answered :001_smile: