Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OtherJohn

What features would you like to see?

I second the thread preview text, it was such a time saver when I was scanning for something specific.

I would love it if the ability to read posts were restricted to registered members, thereby requiring a login to access the posts. It has always bothered me that my posts frequently appear on the first page in a Google search if I happen to use the right combination of search terms.

Since things are in flux anyway, I thought I'd bump up our request for an Early Learning, Ages 0-5/Preschooling subforum.

I don't know if SWB has feelings other way on this topic, but there's been discussion in the past that there are so many interesting facets of early play-based learning that it might warrant a separate section, especially since one of the all-time popular topics on the board is "What do I do with my toddler while I'm working with the big kids?"

Here's the previous thread on this topic, with all the various points of view:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/374471-would-it-be-possible-to-request-a-preschooling-subforum/

I apologize if this is repeated, I didn't read every response.

Is there any possibility of adding skins? Sometimes the white can be a bit much, so the option to change it would be great.

A hybrid/threaded mode. I know I'm supposed to use search and subscribe to follow things, but I like to see the whole picture. Also, that seriously impedes browsing. Sorry I am so late to add this to the what-would-you-like thread. I hope it isn't too late. It never dawned on me that this would be missing in the new forum. I'm not involved with any other forums so I don't know what the new normal is.

Thanks,

Nan

Any way to add threaded/ hybrid view like on the old board? It makes it much easier to follow the flow of a conversation. This is so bulky that I find myself hesitating to come here to read because I have to dedicate a large amount of time per visit that I just don't have to dedicate to the task.

I don't know if others would like this or not. I get the whole public forum thing, it is a great resource etc..... What about having one part private? Maybe the general forum. You have to be a member with a user name to read that. It would keep the curriculum talk available for everyone, but the general chit chat (which gets more personal) is a little more private.

I also agree that the like dislike button could get messy.

Is having a private forum (like the lounge) going to be possible? I'd also like to see this.

Better functionality of the "Post" feature. Ideally one would be redirected to ones new Post following submission. For now we ("me included) are making too many double and triple posts.

Bill

Better functionality of the "Post" feature. Ideally one would be redirected to ones new Post following submission. For now we ("me included) are making too many double and triple posts.

Bill

I think it must be a forum glitch some people are experiencing, because the bolded above is what has happened all but one time when I have posted.

Has the auto spell check aka red line under misspelled words been addressed? Because someone was nasty to me over a misspelled word and this public educated person got her feelings hurt and I don't think I'll ever be the same again.

Has the auto spell check aka red line under misspelled words been addressed? Because someone was nasty to me over a misspelled word and this public educated person got her feelings hurt and I don't think I'll ever be the same again.

I will see about getting spell checker back in. I use it religiously because I am horrible with spelling. Mainly because of the speed of typing, but also because I am bad at homonyms. I wrote "Bare" with us one time when the site went down instead of bear and embarrassed the company. Yep, that was me!

Yes. Give it a bit for the css to recache and it will show up better.

BTW, how is the double posting today? I made a change that might have helped.

Yes. Give it a bit for the css to recache and it will show up better.

BTW, how is the double posting today? I made a change that might have helped.

It was one of those "intermittent" things, so hard to know for sure, but so far, so good!

Bill

I will see about getting spell checker back in. I use it religiously because I am horrible with spelling. Mainly because of the speed of typing, but also because I am bad at homonyms. I wrote "Bare" with us one time when the site went down instead of bear and embarrassed the company. Yep, that was me!

I loved that. See you are not part of the in crowd until you get made fun of! :laugh: <----- and this smiley is rather dopey. Where's the gree guy with very large teeth?

I loved that. See you are not part of the in crowd until you get made fun of! :laugh: <----- and this smiley is rather dopey. Where's the green guy with very large teeth?

He's still there. I have a hard time navigating the smilies, but you can type : D (without the space). :D

He's still there. I have a hard time navigating the smilies, but you can type : D (without the space). :D

I somehow missed that. I like the green one and his buck teeth

Could the "Edit" and "Report" buttons at the bottom of posts be less dim?

Bill

Less dim? Really, Bill? I expect a little more PC-ness from you than that.

Can't you do this already? Instead of clicking on the thread name, click on the little blue box to the left of the thread name. That takes you to the first unread.

Haven't checked this yet, but I'd like to go to first unread from within the thread. I don't always get to the thread from the forum it's in. Often it's from a search, but other times it could be from clicking on a link someone has provided.

Are you still working the issues with the mobile versions? They don't have as much functionality as the old board. No smilies, cannot hotlink kilt pictures, etc. ;)

I have seen a lot of improvement on the computer, so I am sure you are working very hard.

I would really like to see the return of the ability to tag threads of interest. It was incredibly useful to keep track of useful threads by topics.

Given the crazy types of spam we've seen lately, would you all consider limiting the abilities of new posters? For example, require 50 or 100 posts before you're allowed to have a signature, avatar, post links or photos.

Has it already been mentioned to be able to group Content Followed by categories, like we used to do with subscriptions? I really miss that.

Has it already been mentioned to be able to group Content Followed by categories, like we used to do with subscriptions? I really miss that.

I don't know, but I'm extremely frustrated with the difficulties involved in following threads I've subscribed to.

Given the crazy types of spam we've seen lately, would you all consider limiting the abilities of new posters? For example, require 50 or 100 posts before you're allowed to have a signature, avatar, post links or photos.

I completely agree with this, it would be great if possible. It's been a bit nasty out there lately!!

I don't know, but I'm extremely frustrated with the difficulties involved in following threads I've subscribed to.

So am I. it turns out that my settings that say I'm supposed to be following any thread I post on don't show up in that place!!! I just found some I've posted in in "My content". :cursing: Anyway it looks like I have to click on that button at the top of the thread saying to follow this, so maybe now it will show up where that stuff does.

Sometimes things are bolded that have no new posts since I last read them, too.

So am I. it turns out that my settings that say I'm supposed to be following any thread I post on don't show up in that place!!! I just found some I've posted in in "My content". :cursing: Anyway it looks like I have to click on that button at the top of the thread saying to follow this, so maybe now it will show up where that stuff does.

Sometimes things are bolded that have no new posts since I last read them, too.

This. Even more frustrating is that I can't figure out the rhyme or reason as to what is subscribed, what was subscribed that is no longer subscribed, etc., except that posting to a thread sometimes stops one from being subscribed to it. The whole thing is wonky.

Any chance we could have more sub-forums, particularly under the curriculum-related forums. If there were individual boards for each academic subject, it would be so much easier to find information about different curriculum options.

On the other hand, you might get fewer good responses with more sub-boards. I might respond to a question about Greek plays if it pops up in the main high school board, but never see the question if it's in a subforum I don't visit.

:iagree::iagree: :iagree::iagree: :iagree::iagree:

When a years old thread gets bumped, it's confusing to say the least!

Thank you, John, for this thread! And welcome to PHP and the boards.

I think the usefulness of an older thread depends a lot on what type of thread it is. If it's a thread about a family issue or an appliance recommendation, it might be too dated to revive. But there are lots of threads on curriculum questions that don't fade as quickly. For example, if I have a question about good high school physics curriculum or how someone scheduled a specific book, it might well fit onto a year old thread from the previous year's planning season.

I suppose I still can't see why anyone would care if a user decides to pay for upgrades that do not impact usage of the forum, and have no relationship to anyone else's use of the forum. Why would anyone think it a problem if someone else pays for a larger PM mailbox? And if it's simply a matter of people feeling bad because they see someone with features they do not feel is within their budget to afford, then it could be kept to only personal features that no one else knows you have unless there's a discussion around the matter.

There are lots of people that have things that I don't have, and it doesn't make my life any less to know they have those things. I don't suddenly hate my neighbourhood when my neighbour pays for a car with more features than the one I own, and it doesn't make me enjoy my car any less for him having an upgraded model. <shrug>

Colleen, the suggestion I made was for custom user titles (where it says Apprentice Bee Keeper under your user name), not the ability to change an actual user name. I agree that the ability to change your own user name would be messy. (Though I don't believe it's an option to change your own user name in vB in any case.)

I would be concerned that tiered levels of access that showed up in things like user titles or special icons that were near an avatar might give the appearance that some board members were more credible than others. Another site I visit had gold star users and members with little traffic cop icons as user moderators. But many of the prolific posters who had earned such icons were among the more argumentative and beligerent commentors.

There is already a tendency to evaluate a post based on the number of postings someone has. But all that a post count tells you is how many posts they have. It doesn't tell you anything about homeschooling experience, background in a particular subject or even if the posts have been about algebra or vacuum cleaners. I don't care if someone has more PM storage than I. I do care if one were able to purchase a mantle of authority or credibility.