Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OtherJohn

What features would you like to see?

I get the idea, but over in high school I think about the thread about an online class service that gets bump up every few months to respond to the original post. It's annoying.

Maybe make it so someone with posts under a certain number can't post on an old thread.

Is it spam that should be reported?

Bam!

More PM space given.

Niiiice.

I can confirm we will get a notification when you get mentioned/quoted.

Oh, this is what I was gonna ask for! But I see Chucki was wondering if there will be a way to turn OFF that notificiation; I get that some people don't care.

:iagree: A like button might work, but a dislike button is just asking for it...

I'm all for a 'like' button for posts/threads. But please, PLEASE don't put a 'dislike' one. There's no WAY this forum would do well with that. :tongue_smilie:

Other John, thanks so much for asking for input from us users! I agree with the others; a better search function would be nice, and I'm happy to see that we'll be able to get notifications when we're mentioned/quoted.

My husband's a computer programmer, and I think he'd like your style. :)

You can edit your thread titles. Click on the "edit" button, then right between the "save" and "cancel" buttons is a "go advanced" button. You can edit thread titles from there.

cocktail hour

dinner service

rent a principal

:D

Well, if we are going there I can make up a long and detailed list. :D

You can edit your thread titles. Click on the "edit" button, then right between the "save" and "cancel" buttons is a "go advanced" button. You can edit thread titles from there.

Been trying that for years. It doesn't work. At least not for everybody.

That's strange. I just edited the title of my above post to "testing."

It might work there but it doesn't work when one starts a new thread and makes a mistake in what appears on the main forum list. At least it doesn't for me.

I often thought it was a feature that was given when one got X number of posts.

I have successfully edited a thread's title. However, I think it doesn't work after a certain point...either after the first person clicks on the title or after the first response is made. Don't know. But after a certain point, it can't be done. So, if you recognize your error quickly, you're in luck. If not, not so much. :lol:

A like button would be awesome!:)

:iagree:

Over at Ravelry.com, they offer a "agree", "disagree", "funny", "informative", and more to each post -- so lurkers and others can chime in without clogging up the thread. I would love it if WTM Forums did a similar approach.

How about a spot for those who have graduated or finished homeschooling -- other than the College Board? That would be nice to have.

OK, I'm not on Facebook so I don't get it. Can someone explain to me what purpose a like button on the forums would serve? I enjoyed the star ratings for particularly helpful or inspiring threads, minus the part where people disagreed and had a star tug-of-war. Would a like button be similar to that? If so, wouldn't it just irritate people who didn't like the thing liked by others, prompting more annoying e-mails to mods?

Like, what would the like button do for us, man? :lol: I don't get it.

Over at Ravelry.com, they offer a "agree", "disagree", "funny", "informative", and more to each post -- so lurkers and others can chime in without clogging up the thread. I would love it if WTM Forums did a similar approach.

But then, how would you get your first 50 post count :)

I have really disliked some other forums where signatures get too large and I don't like too much animation, so I'd have some concern about signatures getting too large. On other boards I've seen it get difficult to read because sigs are too big.

I don't know if you (or others) know this, but you can go to your UserCP, then Edit Options, and select whether or not you want the signatures to show up. Unfortunately you miss out on pertinent information, like ages of children, that some posters include in their signatures. On other vBulletin boards this has been enormously helpful though.

Is it spam that should be reported?

No more like folks who like the on line folks and feel compelled to join WTMF to tell us that.

Uncalled for...I was thinking more like FS listings, HOWEVER, sometimes people want to delete their own posts for any number of reasons...has nothing to do with "owning it"...it's called changing your mind :D

I would like the ability to delete posts made by others. :D Oh wait, then that would mean that others could delete my posts. :lol: Nevermind.

:iagree: I think when forums divide too much, you wind up with people complaining about how low-traffic the forums are. Improved search capabilities should mitigate a lot of the problems that make people wish for separate forums.

I would love to be able to "follow" particular people. We already have the ability to designate people as "friends," but (1) that doesn't seem to do anything, and (2) it seems to imply a level of connection that might not be reciprocated. I'd love to be able to log on to the forum, push a button, and have it highlight for me where Nan, Tibbie, 8FilltheHeart, etc. have posted.

I would really prefer NOT to have larger signatures and blinkies, unless there is the option to not see them. I hate forums where 90% of the material on a discussion page seems to be signatures.

I think on a forum that is this well trafficked it would help, because a lot gets lost in the general pace of the boards. Improved search would help some, but probably not for people whose posts just get lost in the shuffle.

I agree on a following feature, and wholeheartedly on NO LARGER SIGNATURES. The current limit is plenty, IMO. I frequent a few other boards where you can barely find the actual posts between the gihumongous siggies. It's a pain, especially if you are using a small screen.

Maybe for posts over a certain age (3 or 6 months maybe?) from original post date the title could change color, that way we could see at a glance if "new" thread is actually a resurrected one.

ETA: I would also like to be able to edit posts either indefinitely, or at least for a longer period of time. There are a few times that I've rethought what I've posted as far as personal/private info that I'd rather not have hanging out in cyberspace forever but couldn't edit.

I wish that instead of the smilies to the right of the post box there was a selection of tags. For example:

This post is about:

Math

Science

Logic

Latin

Kilts

Cupcakes

Imp

Typing

History

Geography

This would help to "sort" out the posts faster and more effectively since a starter tag would be placed on every post. Especially, if you HAD to select even just one tag before you posted. Yeah, there would be a lot of "Other: selected but it would be easier then having a different forum for every subject.

I wish that instead of the smilies to the right of the post box there was a selection of tags. For example:

This post is about:

Math

Science

Logic

Latin

Kilts

Cupcakes

Imp

Typing

History

Geography

This would help to "sort" out the posts faster and more effectively since a starter tag would be placed on every post. Especially, if you HAD to select even just one tag before you posted. Yeah, there would be a lot of "Other: selected but it would be easier then having a different forum for every subject.

It must be set wrong, I did find it, but it says 0 sent. Help?

Ok, I didn't know this was a setting until I saw someone talk about being able to have more threads per page & I ran off to change my settings to allow more. Anyway, here's what I found...

Go to User Control Panel, on the left-hand side under Settings & Options, click Edit Options. Under Messaging & Notification you will see where it talks about Private Messaging. Select the option that says "Save a copy of sent messages in my sent items folder."

Doesn't help for things you've sent in the past, but moving forward...

I don't know if others would like this or not. I get the whole public forum thing, it is a great resource etc..... What about having one part private? Maybe the general forum. You have to be a member with a user name to read that. It would keep the curriculum talk available for everyone, but the general chit chat (which gets more personal) is a little more private.

I also agree that the like dislike button could get messy.

Niiiice.

Oh, this is what I was gonna ask for! But I see Chucki was wondering if there will be a way to turn OFF that notificiation; I get that some people don't care.

I'm all for a 'like' button for posts/threads. But please, PLEASE don't put a 'dislike' one. There's no WAY this forum would do well with that. :tongue_smilie:

Other John, thanks so much for asking for input from us users! I agree with the others; a better search function would be nice, and I'm happy to see that we'll be able to get notifications when we're mentioned/quoted.

My husband's a computer programmer, and I think he'd like your style. :)

I could go for just having the "like" button, but ONLY if there is a rule that no one can post a "why doesn't anybody "like" me?" thread, or an "I'm leaving because nobody ever "likes" me" thread. That's begging for attention. I just can't stand that kind of emotionally manipulative behaviour.

I could go for just having the "like" button, but ONLY if there is a rule that no one can post a "why doesn't anybody "like" me?" thread, or an "I'm leaving because nobody ever "likes" me" thread. That's begging for attention. I just can't stand that kind of emotionally manipulative behaviour.

Well I'm with ya on that, Audrey. That would be irritating.:tongue_smilie:

This post is about:

Math

Science

Logic

Latin

Kilts

Cupcakes

Imp

Typing

History

Geography

:iagree: Ooh, I like that. I never choose a smiley for a thread, but if there were different ones for different subjects (and cupcakes and kilts) that would be useful.

I don't know if others would like this or not. I get the whole public forum thing, it is a great resource etc..... What about having one part private? Maybe the general forum. You have to be a member with a user name to read that. It would keep the curriculum talk available for everyone, but the general chit chat (which gets more personal) is a little more private.

I also agree that the like dislike button could get messy.

I like this idea.

Maybe if the curriculum forums were public, but pretty much everything else required you to login (I'd like to see the special needs/gifted forums be private at least).

Other ideas I like:

• A Tag menu so that each post has at least one required tag--this would cut down on the need for subforums by making it easier to find specific subjects.

• notification when you are quoted

• An ability to tag people in a post so they can be notified when you want them to chime in (instead of posting a thread title that says "Spycar...come tell me about math programs";)

• A like button (maybe...) Sometimes I just want to like a post, and I get annoyed with all the :iagree: posts that don't add anything to the discussion. But definitely not a dislike button. And I agree with Audrey--you should get your posts deleted if you start whining about nobody "liking" you

• The ability to edit for sale postings so that we can update when an item sells without bumping the thread back to the top, or have them expire and disappear off the forum after a few months. If you were to automatically delete For Sale postings, I'd want a notification just before my thread is deleted so that I could repost items that hadn't sold yet.

:iagree: Ooh, I like that. I never choose a smiley for a thread, but if there were different ones for different subjects (and cupcakes and kilts) that would be useful.

Oh, see there's a post that I need a like button for! :D

(Apparently I missed that reference the first time it was posted. I'll go back and mentally "like" Amy's post too ;))

I would like to have some kind of default setting page where I can set preferences for what comes up when I log on and look for new posts, by selecting or deselecting by keyword, member posting or subforum. So for example, I might decide I don't want to see anything from the For Sale area, and I don't want to read anything with 'invisible pink unicorn' in the title. I know I can already do that as a search, but it would be nice to have the capacity to set what comes up when I hit New Posts.

Maybe some way of selecting members whose input I particularly value, so that as I skim over a thread, posts from those members would show up in a different color.

Also I'd love to see an area for permanent threads rating curriculum materials, where people could vote for ratings and leave comments, then if I wanted to check out history resources, I could go straight to that section and check out what's there before asking questions.

And maybe a controversial area for threads that are either guaranteed to be controversial, or have developed into controversy. That way if I'm not in the mood for seeing any impassioned debate, it's easier to avoid those. Also a lot of the threads that get locked because they're getting heated could be moved into the controversial area instead.

And how about a separate space just for fun stuff, rather than that being mixed in with the general home ed stuff? I know that people don't want too many subforums, but I would really like to be able to block the purely fun things when I'm focussing on home ed stuff.

Sometimes I wish that members would be required to label new threads as either "opinions solicited" or "don't participate if you don't agree with me".

Sometimes I wish that members would be required to label new threads as either "opinions solicited" or "don't participate if you don't agree with me".

We do. JAWM.

Well, you mentioned iPad stuff. Something I would like is a way to preview a thread on the iPad. Right now you can hover a mouse over a thread on a PC to see the first few lines of a thread, but on the iPad there isn't an option like this. This is the main problem I have with using my iPad to access the forums.

Amen! I was going to suggest this very thing. I find myself NOT reading the boards on my iPad because of this reason alone. I would read them far more than I already do now if I could just have this feature. I was actually surprised that this even bothered me, but I realized I use this all the time.

Cindy

I’m glad to hear that. When I search for a string of words in quotes and want to find those exact words in that order, I can’t. Instead it will find posts that have all those words all throughout the post.

I will second the request for sub forums. I know I would find it hugely helpful, and it also might go a long way to helping increase a sense of community. It seems the boards are so big, that it makes it harder to find new friends. I would love to find more pertinent information in areas that would be valuable to me. I also know a board I'd love to see that will never appear...a plain old "Average Homeschoolers" board for those of us not educating kids bound for higher level colleges. Sometimes the pressure here can be intense!! But I know that one will never appear :D

Cindy

Oh and also, please could all the existing 'social groups' be turned into subforums? The social groups aren't really used, and I suspect this might be because we forget they're there (at least I do) because they don't show up on the normal New Posts or Search results.

Oh and also, please could all the existing 'social groups' be turned into subforums? The social groups aren't really used, and I suspect this might be because we forget they're there (at least I do) because they don't show up on the normal New Posts or Search results.

So like General and k-8 have one that is social groups and have it all be sub forums. That way it won't take away from the resource of the curriculum boards (with the wonderful, new, easy tag and search functions). Keep those public, and then the social groups and general board could be private.

I agree with the others, if there is a like button in the rules next to the no swan song rule there needs to be a no whining about liking rule.

Yay for more PM storage space!

I'd like signatures to be able to be a bit longer.

I'd like a tapatalk feature as I often read and post from my phone. And I agree it would be nice if there was a way to "preview" posts from the iPhone or whatever like you can via computer.

I'd like a sub forum for the pre school aged years, to go talk about babies, toddlers, preschoolers, preparing for homeschooling etc.

Social groups are WAY too limited in how many characters you can post in a message box- more space there, please!!

This forum really ought to have some sort of kilt smiley. And a cupcake eating smiley. It's a board culture thing. Hehe.

Image verification on EVERY post is driving me nutty already!

Where has the quick reply button gone, i love the function because i can respond without having to wait for a new page to load which can take an incredibly long time on a slow BB service.

A 'like' button would be great and i have also seen that you can do 'thankyou' buttons which would also be awesome :)

Image verification on EVERY post is driving me nutty already!

This feature should not be showing up for you. Let me look into it.

OK I see what's happening. Apparently the forums has you listed as never confirming your email address so it hasn't moved you into the main usergroup.

Something like this might work out fine and be useful.

like and dislike buttons are too much like green cube/rep points. They don't work here. We've tried in the past and it was UGLY!

I have a suggestion. But, maybe we already have it and I'm clueless (apparently there are functions we have here that I didn't even know about...probably some I still don't know about). What about a reviews section? I love reading curriculum reviews and always have to go somewhere else. I'd love to see what the friends here think of all the different curriculum out there. And not just classical / well-trained mind stuff. Like how homeschoolreviews has a super long list and you click on them to read the reviews. Would anyone else like to see this added??

Also, from reading these posts here...I see that several mentioned animated or moving blinkies in the signature. I have one (see down there). Is this annoying to anyone?? I never meant it to be, but if it's annoying or bothersome I can take it off.

ETA: oh, I guess I have more than one. I was thinking of my little banner. But, I have two moving smilies too.

This may have been suggested upthread:

Is there a way that we can edit our "For Sale" posts, even after a longer time frame? I hate when something sells, and all I can do is add a comment saying, "SOLD", which then bumps it to the top of the page, and people think it's available!

Thanks!

This post is about:

Math

Science

Logic

Latin

Kilts

Cupcakes

Imp

Typing

History

Geography

My daughter is very concerned about us if "cupcakes" is an option. SHe is afraid we'll over-indulge and be unhealthy :)

And maybe it could be "tunic/kilts" since it has been noted that some of us do not prefer kilts afterall.

Is it possible to have settings for the "new posts" search so it could give you "new posts" from only certain forums? For example, when I click "new posts" I'm not particularly interested in the highschool boards (my eldest is 4), and I'd love to just see new posts in the general, K-8, and language forums...

This would be great. I spend most of my time in the General and High School boards. I don't use the New Posts feature, because it pulls up posts in all of the boards.

:iagree: A like button might work, but a dislike button is just asking for it...

Even a like button has the potential for abuse. I can see both sides though. I sometimes post an I Agree smiley even though I don't have anything to add. I can see where a like button would be helpful. There would have to be some ground rules.

I would also like to be able to edit the titles of my posts more easily.

I wish we could edit thread titles. It's embarrassing to make a typo in your thread title and have it sit there for all to see.

This may have been suggested upthread:

Is there a way that we can edit our "For Sale" posts, even after a longer time frame? I hate when something sells, and all I can do is add a comment saying, "SOLD", which then bumps it to the top of the page, and people think it's available!

Thanks!

A better way to give feedback. I have brought this up before: when you do a trade- you are STILL REQUIRED to site a Sale thread but with a trade there isnt one.

:confused:

:iagree:Please ditch the thread requirement all together! The for sale board moves fairly quickly and it is hard to find the sale thread once you're ready to leave feedback - which is usually a week or more later.

We will be doing a major upgrade to the site over the next few months. I will be taking these suggestions under consideration and some are already scheduled to be included.

For the Sale/Trade area, we are planning to revamp that whole feature to bring some major improvements.

Keep up the great suggestions!

John

The social groups aren't really used

Maybe some arent, but Exploring Orthodoxy is a social group that is very much in use! :001_smile:

Thank you for taking our suggestions, but I hope that you won't be making the site more "busy" to look at.