Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OtherJohn

What features would you like to see?

:iagree:

I don't think more subforums would be helpful. If there is a designated math subforum, only people with math problems or questions will visit it; whereas when there is a general curriculum subforum, you get more visitors. So maybe a person logs on who has question about a grammar curriculum, but they see your question about math and can answer it based on their experience. If there were subforums, the person with the grammar question never would have visited the math forum and would not have answered your question.

Likewise, if the forums get separated into too many age groups, then the parents of older kids aren't likely to visit the younger kids' subforums. This would be unfortunate for the moms of younger kids since the parents of older kids have BTDT and have quite a bit of advice and experience to offer moms with young children.

The problem with this is that there are so many posts in say the K-8 forum, that they quickly disappear from the front page and get lost anyway. But if there is a forum for each subject, people would frequent their favorite subjects and would see the questions there that they might otherwise miss on page 7 of the K-8 forum. I don't usually have math questions, but I love to do math problems, so I would always look in the math forum. And there is always the "New Posts" option for those who just want to see what's current and would be able to catch posts from any forum.

Please don't add a Like and Dislike button. I was so glad when rep points ended.

:iagree: A like button might work, but a dislike button is just asking for it...

Could you put a link to Susan's blog and other Peace Hill things right at the top of the forums index thingy so we wouldn't have to go back to the main page?

Thanks for more PM storage.

I would also like to be able to edit the titles of my posts more easily.

Thanks for ALL you do and for the forums. :001_smile:

I have no idea if it's possible, but I would love to see some type of notification when someone quotes something I said.

Any possibility of a high school forum subforum for parents of Canadian high schoolers and university-bound students? For me, the K-8, logic, and high school forums have been a huge help to me. But I'm discovering there are enough differences between Canadian and American high school and university systems, that I wish there was a separate place where Canadian posters (I think there are quite a few of us now) could share info. back and forth without threads getting buried and barely seen by other Canadians.

Thanks for the more pm space!

I don't think more subforums would be helpful. If there is a designated math subforum, only people with math problems or questions will visit it; whereas when there is a general curriculum subforum, you get more visitors. So maybe a person logs on who has question about a grammar curriculum, but they see your question about math and can answer it based on their experience. If there were subforums, the person with the grammar question never would have visited the math forum and would not have answered your question.

Likewise, if the forums get separated into too many age groups, then the parents of older kids aren't likely to visit the younger kids' subforums. This would be unfortunate for the moms of younger kids since the parents of older kids have BTDT and have quite a bit of advice and experience to offer moms with young children.

:iagree: I think when forums divide too much, you wind up with people complaining about how low-traffic the forums are. Improved search capabilities should mitigate a lot of the problems that make people wish for separate forums.

I would love to be able to "follow" particular people. We already have the ability to designate people as "friends," but (1) that doesn't seem to do anything, and (2) it seems to imply a level of connection that might not be reciprocated. I'd love to be able to log on to the forum, push a button, and have it highlight for me where Nan, Tibbie, 8FilltheHeart, etc. have posted.

I would really prefer NOT to have larger signatures and blinkies, unless there is the option to not see them. I hate forums where 90% of the material on a discussion page seems to be signatures.

One thing that is confusing: You can post on the Sale and Swap Board, then it has subforums of For Sale and Wanted to Buy. So some people post on For Sale, others on Sale and Swap.

Others can weigh in, but maybe make Sale and Swap Board "Sale and Swap Board Questions and Discussion"???

ADDING: It would be nice to have a sent folder in private messages. Right now if you send a PM, there is no recording of it, and sometimes you forget you sent something...

I want:

Ability to edit thread titles

Ability to edit For-Sale threads

More PM space (got that today, yay!)

Better Search features (search for words in a specific order like Google search, exclude certain words)

I'd rather not have:

Like/Dislike features

More sub-forums

Animated smileys (yuck!)

Welcome to PHP and thank you for taking up these requests. :)

I want:

Better Search features (search for words in a specific order like Google search, exclude certain words)

I'd rather not have:

Like/Dislike features

More sub-forums

Animated smileys (yuck!)

Exactly this. I've seen some real ugliness in another forum I used to read with the like and dislike buttons.

I can see a subforum for PreK, but I see problems with too many subforums. I wouldn't like things separated by subject because then I'd be much less likely to read about programs if I wasn't looking for a specific subject. I like the separation by stage - and adding the logic stage has worked very nicely for me in keeping K-8 manageable.

I have really disliked some other forums where signatures get too large and I don't like too much animation, so I'd have some concern about signatures getting too large. On other boards I've seen it get difficult to read because sigs are too big.

Yes. I have often wished for a bit more of a signature allowance (just deleted most of my signature because my edit took up too much space and I just gave up :tongue_smilie:), but big ol' glowing, flashing, virtually effervescent signatures would not be a good thing.

I want:

I'd rather not have:

Like/Dislike features

More sub-forums

Animated smileys (yuck!)

I'd really like the ability to sticky threads important to me - like a personal sticky thread section :D

The ability to edit for sale posts - I don't know how many times I've reposted because I couldn't edit.

I'd really like the ability to sticky threads important to me - like a personal sticky thread section :D

Oh, my word. The ability to keep a list of favorite threads? That would be awesome! I know we can edit subscriptions but some threads I reply to or subscribe to just seem to disappear from my list. Is there a limit? A black hole of threads? Anyway, love this idea!

I would love to be able to "follow" particular people. We already have the ability to designate people as "friends," but (1) that doesn't seem to do anything, and (2) it seems to imply a level of connection that might not be reciprocated. I'd love to be able to log on to the forum, push a button, and have it highlight for me where Nan, Tibbie, 8FilltheHeart, etc. have posted.

:iagree: that would be wonderful!

Thanks for the extra PM's! and for going to work on the search function!

I would like it to be so that the Social groups we're part of would show up when we look for new threads. This would make it so they stay active. As it is they are started and then tend to die :( I would love a "like" button :)

First, Welcome!

:iagree: 100% I vote no to a whole bunch of subforums. I have a 5th grader and I don't even make it to the Logic stage subforum as it is because there is much to be found in General and K-8. If it were further divided I'd miss 75% of the "good stuff" that has been so helpful to me.

I have really disliked some other forums where signatures get too large and I don't like too much animation, so I'd have some concern about signatures getting too large. On other boards I've seen it get difficult to read because sigs are too big.

Again, :iagree: Signatures are already big enough, IMO. I hate having to scroll down 1/2 a page just to get to the next post (at other forums with big flashing signatures), but I don't want to have to turn signatures off, either. So again, I vote no to larger or flashing/sparkling/moving signatures.

The one thing I can think of right now that I'd like is an update on the smiley guys. There are a few that would be nice to have (although I can't think of which ones off the top of my head because I don't "need" any at the moment, but I have in the past :D), but we have doubles of simple smiles, open mouthed grins, confused and LOL.

First I would like to thank John for coming to the members to ask for ideas.

Secondly, I agree with Dana on signatures. It must be my old eyes but I find animation within text blocks to be highly distracting. Does it add to the quality of conversation or just serve as an ornament?

First I would like to thank John for coming to the members to ask for ideas.

Secondly, I agree with Dana on signatures. It must be my old eyes but I find animation within text blocks to be highly distracting. Does it add to the quality of conversation or just serve as an ornament?

My eyes are not old :tongue_smilie:, but I also don't like flashy signatures or having to scroll endless pages for very little info.

:iagree: All the like/dislike buttons will do is bring out the junior high b*tch cl*ques, resulting in the mods having oh so many more reports about nasty people and oh so many more emails complaining about getting this dislike removed and that dislike cancelled. And, at least 68.5% of the threads will be poor-me-pity-party posts that start with "why does nobody 'like' me?"

Fun.

Not.

Thank you! I think the number of replies often speaks to the content of the thread.

I would love to see the post date in the title of the BST threads because so many times someone comes on and posts a reply to a for sale thread that is 2 years old! Or perhaps make them disappear after a certain amount of time?

Larger page number buttons and/or better way to advance through pages. Those tiny icons are not meant for touch screens!:ohmy:

I would love to see the post date in the title of the BST threads because so many times someone comes on and posts a reply to a for sale thread that is 2 years old! Or perhaps make them disappear after a certain amount of time?

How about not being able to reply to a thread after it has been inactive for a certain amount of time? (I'm thinking months.)

How about not being able to reply to a thread after it has been inactive for a certain amount of time? (I'm thinking months.)

Yes! That would work as well!

I can confirm we will get a notification when you get mentioned/quoted.

Is there a way to disable that feature if one isn't interested?

My eyes are not old :tongue_smilie:, but I also don't like flashy signatures or having to scroll endless pages for very little info.

This is what bugs me about large siggies. We already have some members fairly large signatures.

I would LOVE to see anything older than 3 months deleted from the for sale and wtb boards. It would make it sooo much easier to weed through. Posters can always repot if they still want to buy or sell an item.

Also, I'd like to be able to only see new posts in forums I'm interested in versus new posts for the entire board. If I could select which forums appear to me, that'd be awesome.

ETA: I would also like it if we could be notified if we are mentioned in a thread or post. Or be able to "tag" someone like on FB.

Also, I'd like to be able to only see new posts in forums I'm interested in versus new posts for the entire board. If I could select which forums appear to me, that'd be awesome.

:iagree:This would be cool. I don't use the new posts feature much because it seems to be clogged up with For Sale posts.

Larger page number buttons and/or better way to advance through pages. Those tiny icons are not meant for touch screens!:ohmy:

Oh, my word. The ability to keep a list of favorite threads? That would be awesome! I know we can edit subscriptions but some threads I reply to or subscribe to just seem to disappear from my list. Is there a limit? A black hole of threads? Anyway, love this idea!

:iagree::iagree:

Noooooo. I'd hate that. People often return to add more or give updates!

ADDING: It would be nice to have a sent folder in private messages. Right now if you send a PM, there is no recording of it, and sometimes you forget you sent something...

You do have a sent folder. :) Go to your private message inbox, and at the top, right under where it shows your storage (wow - 100 messages for storage now, thank you!), you should see "Jump to folder" drop down menu. Inbox is selected for you, but you have the option of Sent Items as well.

HTH

:iagree: I like that. And I'm glad there will be notifications for being quoted and mentioned. Sometimes I realize I didn't look back at a thread and I realize someone quoted and asked me something ages ago. Oops. Not being rude. Just didn't see!

And no on the added subforums. The only one that I think might be good would be a preschooling subforum, but that idea was debated and seemingly rejected (as it never happened).

You can keep subscribed threads in separate folders that you create. I have folders for things like science, math, Latin, etc., and I just put super-helpful threads into my folders to refer to later.

A better way to see which threads I posted to. Other boards I'm on have a little circle with a check mark in them on the right side of the thread ... very easy to see when scanning! :)

More smilies! :lol:

Thanks for asking!

On the subforums, I would like to be able to view first unread, see people's signatures, and have the page numbers at the top as well as the bottom of the page.

I'd also like a 'praying' smiley.

Any possibility of a high school forum subforum for parents of Canadian high schoolers and university-bound students? For me, the K-8, logic, and high school forums have been a huge help to me. But I'm discovering there are enough differences between Canadian and American high school and university systems, that I wish there was a separate place where Canadian posters (I think there are quite a few of us now) could share info. back and forth without threads getting buried and barely seen by other Canadians.

Thanks for the more pm space!

Funny, I just posted on one of Swimmermom3's mammoth threads that was resurrected on the K-8 board. It is annoying when spammers or trolls open old threads, but I do think that some of the "classic" threads do deserve revisits, updates and additional comments.

Why? If you post it, own it. Or, don't post it in the first place.

Uncalled for...I was thinking more like FS listings, HOWEVER, sometimes people want to delete their own posts for any number of reasons...has nothing to do with "owning it"...it's called changing your mind :D

More pm storage is great. Thank you!

I would love the ability to change your username just one time. (For those of us with username regret).

Thanks for the extra PM space, awesome!

I would like some quick video tutorials on existing forum gadgets. Maybe given Chuck Norris style. :D or Zombieland style, rule #1 etc. There are so many things about V-bulletin I'm still learning.

I think if people would use tags in the education forums more, they would be more helpful than additional sub-forums.

One thing I'd like is the ability to "ignore" a thread completely, like a ignore list for threads, maybe by thread #. It's not about the discipline to stay out of a hot topic thread, it's about some of the titles on threads that can be emotional triggers.

Once again, thank you.

Funny, I just posted on one of Swimmermom3's mammoth threads that was resurrected on the K-8 board. It is annoying when spammers or trolls open old threads, but I do think that some of the "classic" threads do deserve revisits, updates and additional comments.

Yes! I think it would only need to apply to the For sale section

You do have a sent folder. :) Go to your private message inbox, and at the top, right under where it shows your storage (wow - 100 messages for storage now, thank you!), you should see "Jump to folder" drop down menu. Inbox is selected for you, but you have the option of Sent Items as well.

HTH

It must be set wrong, I did find it, but it says 0 sent. Help?

I get the idea, but over in high school I think about the thread about an online class service that gets bump up every few months to respond to the original post. It's annoying.

Maybe make it so someone with posts under a certain number can't post on an old thread.

You can keep subscribed threads in separate folders that you create. I have folders for things like science, math, Latin, etc., and I just put super-helpful threads into my folders to refer to later.

I think it is wise not to keep those threads saved here at the forum.

I've been on forums that periodically purge old materials. I have seen software changes and updates cause this to happen too. (Hint)

So if you love an old thread, save it (not the link) someplace else whether that is on your own computer, Evernote, Dropbox, or Google Drive, but not on the forum itself.