Menu

What do you think of this dress?

SJ.

My BIL is getting married in DC next month and I am in search of a dress. I have only been to one other wedding and am not well versed in what is appropriate for weddings. Here is a dress I tried on today and DH convinced me to buy. It was more money than I want to spend but the fabric is very flattering. The pics of me in the dressing room aren't the best since they were taken with my cell phone. My dh says the length is good and flattering though I usually feel (and he does too) that anything past the knee makes me look shorter and boxy (I am 5'2").

What do you think? Appropriate? Should I keep looking for something less expensive? If so, what should I look for?

In the pictures on the store website the dress is above the knee on the model, if I go with this dress should I get it hemmed?

Oops, almost forgot - what do you think of the shoes? They are black/grey/white snakeskin and they are a wedge. These. I did not buy them but I may go back to get them. They are on sale for $62.

Thanks!

Flattering dress, it will be nice for a wedding that isn't too formal. And yes, I'd have it altered/hemmed (it also looks a bit big in the waist). An inch or two above the knee would look great.

Not a huge fan of the shoes, but maybe because they are so expensive. Do you think you'll wear them again? I think a nude colored shoe would look great, if that is something you'd get more wear out of. But I'm pretty practical with these things. If you love the shoes, go for it!! :001_smile:

Mama, you are a hottie! ;)

I think that the dress looks great on you. Unless this was a very fancy wedding, I think it would be completely appropriate. The shoe is fine, but I think that what is best is the heel height. I don't think you look short in the dress the way it is but don't have an opinion about hemming. The dress doesn't look wrong the way it is but since it usually is above the knee, it probably would look good that way too.

:iagree:

Also, I live in DC area and I'd suggest some type of light cardigan type thing (can you tell how fashion-forward I am? :tongue_smilie:) as it's been getting pretty cool over here. Not sure what time the wedding is, just wanted to let you know.

I think that the dress looks great on you. Unless this was a very fancy wedding, I think it would be completely appropriate. The shoe is fine, but I think that what is best is the heel height..

:iagree: You look great! It doesn't look short or boxy at all, but I do think it would be improved even more by being hemmed so it hits the middle of your knee or right above the knee. I like the idea of nude shoes as well.

:iagree: You look great! It doesn't look short or boxy at all, but I do think it would be improved even more by being hemmed so it hits the middle of your knee or right above the knee. I like the idea of nude shoes as well.

I agree. I would hem and go with a heel rather than a wedge, and I would do a nude/taupe color for the shoe. I would get a big ol' chunky "statement" necklace to go with it!!!

I could go either way on the hemming. A knee length hem might actually be nice! I am not a fan of wedge shoes, but that's just me. I agree with a pp, that a nude coloured heeled shoe could look really good! Definitely DON'T go with a strappy shoe! With a halter style shoe, it will give the impression of longer legs as the line of your leg is carried right down to your toes. A strappy shoe will cut the flow and make you look disproportionate. And yes, put some elegant accessories with it, and you will have an awesome ensemble! Just my two bits worth. ;)

And I am just a teeny bit jealous. I am almost your height, but I don't have your lovely figure! (If I were 7 feet tall, I might be O.K.! ;) )

Can I just seriously say you rock that dress. I looked at it on the model on the website and it really doesn't look nice on her. Then I looked at your pictures and you made the dress just come alive, that dress was made for you.

I don't know about the hem or shoes, but I agree on the necklace and walk into that wedding with confidence. :D

I'm with the hemming crowd. I think it makes it more party appropriate.

I also agree with the pp who said the waist looks just a little low. You could probably have it taken up just a little bit in the shoulder to make the waist a little higher.

Great color on you and definitely works for a wedding. I'd snazz it up with a statement necklace and a bracelet.

Shoes work but I'm in the nude heels camp. Either way would look great!

First of all, you look amazing!! I think I was that thin when I was a fetus....

Secondly, yes you should hem it. The dress looks great on you, but I agree that it needs to come up a bit.

Also, the shoes are fine. If they're comfy, get them. I'm just picky with shoes; I would prefer a shoe that is the same color as the dress or the same color as your legs/pantyhose (if you wear them). But honestly, the shoes look fine. Do you have a bag that goes with (bag doesn't have to match, just go).

And last -- get an amazing necklace and some bracelets. Accessories are going to MAKE this for you!

Thanks everyone for all the replies and the nice compliments :blush:

Last night I started to talk myself out of the dress, ugh I hate having to find something to wear for a special occasion. In a couple hours I am going to a seamstress to see what she thinks the dress needs in terms of alteration. Last night I noticed that the waist was a bit too loose so I am going to ask about that and the length.

This afternoon I am hoping to go shopping to find a few shirts and I will be looking for shoes. I like the idea of a classic nude shoe that will be useable in the future.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what I decide. :001_smile: