Menu

Anyone have success with Valerian or Melatonin for sleep?

I have been struggling with sleep for quite some time. I wake up frequently and can't get back to sleep. I wonder about how much sleep I really get because I feel like I'm constanly awake. At least my dreams are proof that sometimes I'm getting rest!

A friend gave me Valerian to try, but I haven't yet. My mom mentioned Melatonin. My doctor prescribed Ambien, but I haven't picked up the prescription and don't want to. My mom sleep walked using it and I sleep walked as a child and that scares me.

My doctor prescribed 2 hours of "me-time" every day when the kids are not allowed to bother me. He said being with the kids all day every day with no breaks makes my brain go non-stop and it keeps going at night. With dh's help we are trying to make this work. I like that prescription!

Also he said not to read in bed anymore, so I am reading in the livingroom before bed.

Also, no computers in the bedroom, so all electronics are out.

While I am hoping these changes help, I would like to try something herbal. So back to my original question: Valerian or Melatonin? Your experiences?

I'm so sorry....sleep issues are so difficult!

I work weird hours on the weekends and have to sleep during part of the day, which is tough for me. I've used melatonin in the past and it seemed to help. I used to take benadryl to sleep and it left me feeling kind of "hung over" when I woke up. I didn't get that feeling with melatonin.

Sorry I'm not more helpful....hope you find something that helps you get back on track soon.

Yes, a combination of valerian and hope has been concluded to be as effective as prescription sleep aids, but with no grogginess. Passionflower is really good to add to the mix for mind racing, too.

Melatonin works more in the short term but, since it's a hormone, is probably best used only occasionally.

Your body makes melatonin so I would use that before ambien. I take about 6 mg of melatonin every night. If I don't I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Dosage of melatonin is very individual and people need more or less depending on their body, age and weight. As we age, our body makes less.

My doctors says it is safe to take indefinitely. The nice thing about melatonin is that because it is something your body makes, it doesn't interact with other medications. So, if you are taking an antidepressant or some acid inhibitor etc you don't have to worry about the medications clashing.

We use melatonin successfully here. Valerian seems to help some people that melatonin wouldn't and vice versa. I read something about Valerian that made me hesitant to try it but I can't remember what it was. It might have been specific to us (mitochondrial issues) and not applicable to all. I just don't remember. edited to add: I think I remember there were some similarities with valproic acid which is a big no for mitochondrial issues; whether it's really a concern I don't know.

I would try both to see if one helps before doing Ambien for sure.

Melatonin is best for putting to sleep rather than staying asleep. If you try it I'd do extended release forms. The lowest effective doses are important. Some people have vivid dreams or groggy waking with higher doses. That said, my son takes .5 a mg and when I tried .5 of extended release form on vacation it didn't seem to help him. So I'm not sure if extended release need higher doses.

My son, at the recommendation of his doctors, has used it since he was 3.5. He's 8 years now. I use it occasionally. It's been a great help here.

Edited by sbgrace

Entirely true. However... None of the herbalists I know (myself included) ever advocate taking herbs as drugs. They should be taken in tea, tincture or food form* as a means of supporting the body's natural processes that have gone awry. That much valerian, as a standardized dose, is a lot. A tea with valerian, hops, and passionflower should have virtually no side effects, other than a potential for allergy, which is true for any natural substance.

*I do recommend turmeric in capsule form because, in order to get anti-inflammatory levels of it, yor teeth would turn orange from eating it in food (turmeric is an excellent dye).

I had a very bad experience with Melatonin.

Had a friend suggest it and since I would have to buy something anyway, figured I'd try it.

I had checked in advance and seen that most studies had been done at pretty low doses: .3 and .5 mg as I recall. When I got to my local store the lowest does available was 1mg and they had pills up to 10 mg. So I chose 1mg to see how that would work.

Yes, it did knock me right out, but the whole next day I was in a fairly somnolent state. I was glad I had a teen who could drive me about. Plus I had the vivid dream side effect that went on for almost one week on that dose.

I've since used Unisom which is an over the counter aid and it is much, much better.

Natural or herbal doesn't mean safer nor does it mean safer than prescription meds. So please be careful and start with as low as possible dose.

I usually have no trouble getting to sleep at night. BUT, I usually wake up after about 4-5 hours and then will be up for 2 - 3 hours before I can sleep again. I just started taking Valerian which is supposed to help you stay asleep and it did seem to extend my sleep time to 6 hours, but that's still not enough sleep for me. I think I'm going to keep taking the Valerian at bedtime and then take the tiniest dose possible of melatonin when I wake to see if that will help me get back to sleep for a few more hours.

I have tried Ambien and while I did "sleep", I did not wake up feeling rested.

Lisa

A cousin got me started on Valerian root. She described it to me as good to use when you can't shut your mind off to go to sleep. The VR made it so that you didn't care so much and could relax and sleep. I use it occasionally when I know I'm going to have trouble getting to sleep, like the night before a big trip. Otherwise I would lay there for hours trying to sleep.

Oh, rats!!! I've been taking Valerian every single night for about 3 1/2 yrs!!! Ever since premenopause started and I have trouble falling/staying asleep. It has worked so well for me w/ no drowsiness the next day-I highly recommend it! Melatonin has me knocked out the whole next day, so does chamomile tea. I will have to think of another solution now!

I have severe insomnia and have for a long time. I currently take Ambien but I tried everything else first. Melatonin gives me nightmares. Valerian and Kava both work to help me relax but neither worked to help me fall or stay asleep. I used to take Elavil a very long time ago and it would put me out for ten hours. It doesn't do anything at all for me now. When I first started taking Seroquel it would also help me sleep for ten hours. Now it will help me get a few hours but definitely not all night. I would suggest starting with the lightest thing and then move up to something stronger only if necessary. I do find that a lights and electronics out policy before bed helps. I have a chair in my room that I sit in to read or sometimes crochet.

I take melatonin (1mg per night and it works great for me) BUT my husband has a completely different reaction - it keeps him up and makes him antsy all night.

When I am really having trouble I listen to a relaxation hypnosis app for my android. I plug in my headphones and after 2 loops I am OUT. I use Darren Marks Hypnosis - Sleep Deeply.

Most of these replies make me very nervous about trying even the herbal supplements...Anyway we are going out of town next week so if I do anything it shouldn't be until we get home.

For now I will follow my doctors orders re: no reading in bed, no computers in bedroom, time to myself everyday and see if that gets me anywhere. I really wish I knew how much sleep I got every night. I wonder if it's more or less than I think. I usually get up in the morning with a feeling that I barely got any sleep.... not just because I'm tired but because I remember tossing and turning so much.

I read the Dr. Oz article linked here and other articles he has on sleep. Very informative.

I have been taking Melatonin per my sleep Dr.'s orders, for over 2 years now. It works great for me. I don't have any issues falling asleep, but staying asleep. Timed release Melatonin helped break that cycle and for the most part I stay asleep. Temperature changes during season changes seem to make a difference for me.

I wish I wasn't such a sensitive sleeper. dh falls asleep instantly and stays in a heavy sleep all night. I have always been a light sleeper. I am sensitive to light, noise, temperature, location and it seems to be getting worse with age. I read in one of the Dr. Oz articles that 65 degrees is the perfect temp. for sleep. We just have a window a/c unit and keep it at 72 during the summer. I guess I just wish i didn't need to perfect conditions to sleep.

I think another part of the problem is that every now and again one of the kids will get up and need something. It hasn't happened in a while, but my anticipation of it is always there keeping me from falling asleep. *sigh*

Here's a new question: What is the best thing to do when I'm trying and failing to fall back asleep in the middle of the night? Stay in bed? Get up and do something then try again later? I hate to get up because I want to sleep so badly, but the sleep doesn't come and I get discouraged just lying (laying?) there.

i am interested in sleep issues but have never felt i had a sleep problem. this is because no sleep behavior seems like a problem to me. i am such a workaholic that i celebrate sleeping less because it leaves more time to work. thus for me the only way not sleeping causes a problem is if i am tired all day afterwards. to avoid this, my tactics have included the following:

if i feel mentally alert at night when i prefer to sleep, i just stay in bed and do not move. i find that provides almost as much rest as sleeping, and i usually do fall asleep for a while during the pretense.

to relax my mind before trying to sleep, i sometimes use candle meditation, i.e. focusing on a lighted candle, preferably with a still flame. this seems to produce a flow of thoughts that help cleanse my mind of worries and thoughts. afterwards i may sleep better. because of the heat of the candle, one should rinse ones eyes with cool water after meditation. oh the connection is (may be) that melatonin may be generated by candle meditation. i may be a complete sucker but was told by my meditation guru that melatonin is a chemical secreted by the pineal gland and that light stimulates that gland. well at least it can't hurt you, unless you set fire to your house.

other methods are to read something soothing like scripture, or to write in a journal forgiving messages for all persons who have caused stress during the day or longer. then try to sleep. other techniques are to listen to soothing music.

books that have helped me include, in addition to the usual bible, I Will Lift Up Mine Eyes by Glenn Clark (a book on realizing your dreams), and Swar Yoga by Harish Johari (oops this is a book on nostril yoga, not necessarily candle meditation). another excellent book for me was Prayer can change your life, by Parker and St Johns (a book on overcoming your fears..etc....).

the specific books and sources here are mine alone, as everyone finds different sources soothing or inspiring.

Edited by mathwonk

Most of these replies make me very nervous about trying even the herbal supplements...

I understand, I felt the same way, but I really don't think it can hurt to try a little Valerian root and see if you like it. I use Nature's Way and it says the dose is 3 capsules, so it's easy to take a smaller amount (I take two and that seems to suffice for me).

I recently listened to a show on NPR about researching showing that waking up during the night for an hour or two was a natural occurance before electricity was so common. That time of being awake was called twilight sleep and most people used it as a kinda of meditation time. Since I've learned that I've found it much easier to not stress about sleep being missed when I wake up. I lay in bed and just take time to think and rest. Just skipping that stress has helped me a lot.

DD13 really likes Melatonin. It helps her rest much more effectively at night.

I use Ambien on occasion, but only if dh is home and he knows I am taking it. I wouldn't want him to expect me to be able to drive in an emergency or to think logically if there is a sick child.

I have always been a very light sleeper since I had my first dd (the cat walking across the floor will wake me up), so I absolutely must use noise of some sort. My favorite is a big box fan sitting in the floor beside the bed. However, since right after my hysterectomy, I have a horrid time sleeping due to hot flashes. I have tried every herbal or supplement remedy I can find and absolutely nothing works for me. Things that others say will knock them out don't do a thing for me. The only thing that I have found that even halfway works is to take benadryl.