Menu

How long does it take your 7th grader to do this division problem?

PaigeP

(If this becomes a double post.....excuse me...I just thought I submitted it and I couldn't find it, so I'll post again....).

Last evening my next door neighbor came over and saw that we had a new large dry erase board. She's in 7th grade at the local public school (which is among the top in our state -- in fact, her particular school is the TOP in math in our state among other 6A schools). She's in pre-algebra and is making "straight As." From what I've gathered over the years, she's a great pupil and has always made straight A's. I wrote a math problem on the dry erase board for her to work on. The math problem was: 646 divided by 42. I timed her (she didn't know I was timing her so she was anxious about working on it).

She worked on it for about 4 minutes and, even after that, her answer was wrong. (and I purposefully wrote what I thought would be an easy one for her to be able to easily do in front of my child).

After she finished, she said, "It's been a while since we did long division; we're on square roots now."

Just curious how long it takes other 7th graders to do this problem.

My oldest is only a 2nd grader so we're not there yet to be able to compare.

Thanks,

Paige

My 3rd grader just did it in a minute and a half.

My 10 year old could do it in a minute in his head.

So, out of curosity I had my 6th grade student do this question just now. It took her 2 minutes and got it correct.

Wow, I'm impressed!

How far did you all carry the division?

When DS was little and flying through math at an alarming rate, it occured to me that I should work ahead and make sure I was up to speed on everything before he got there. I wasn't actually worried - I've worked as a statistical analyst and database programmer, I had A's in three semesters of calculus, I'm a math tutor for Pete's sake! But actually, I hadn't done long division by hand in forever... and when I sat down to work that *&^%$# fifth grade Singapore exercise, I honestly couldn't have remembered how to do it to save my life.

I'm not saying it's not a sorry state of affairs; just that I wouldn't judge a kid by long division. I might have some pointed opinions about the curriculum... If kids are taught procedure by rote (as I know I was a billion years ago in elementary school), it is hard to keep those steps in mind if you're not practicing. It may be hard even if you understand the reasoning, but you should be able to hack your way through. At this point, having all the background I already had plus several years of math competition coaching (much more problem solving than I ever had to do before and much more creative hacking-your-way-through), I doubt I'd ever forget long division again. But ask me in twenty years when I've (with any luck) gone back to statistics and databases, and long division is a relic from a former life. ;)

When DS was little and flying through math at an alarming rate, it occured to me that I should work ahead and make sure I was up to speed on everything before he got there. I wasn't actually worried - I've worked as a statistical analyst and database programmer, I had A's in three semesters of calculus, I'm a math tutor for Pete's sake! But actually, I hadn't done long division by hand in forever... and when I sat down to work that *&^%$# fifth grade Singapore exercise, I honestly couldn't have remembered how to do it to save my life.

I had this experience when doing long division with a decimal divisor. I tried it one way that did NOT work well, and I had to look it up in MM5 to see how to do it. Once I looked it up, I was like, "Duh! I knew that!" :lol:

But I haven't done long division with a decimal divisor in almost 20 years. I do think there is a difference between that and a child that is currently doing prealgebra and is doing such math every day. That child has at least done it in the last year. I can remember it now, since it I looked it up several months ago. :D

My 6th grader did it to three decimal places in about 20 seconds. His pencil never stopped moving, so I don't think that's normal. My 8th grader did it to two decimal places in a little over two minutes. That seems about right. But, they've both reviewed division within the last two months.