Menu

If you have used Miller-Levine Biology with Kolbe...

Well, this is my first year teaching high school and it is slow going getting my ds14 up and running with his subjects. I am still trying to work out science, but I think I have settled on the Dragonfly Miller-Levine text along with Kolbe plans. (Second choice is Holt Biology and Oak Meadow plans, if anyone has an opinion there :tongue_smilie:)

I still have questions about which components will be necessary to purchase though.

From Kolbe I think I should purchase:

• Course Plans and Tests
  • Biology answer Key and Student Online Access
  • Lab Report Writing Guide

Do I need the Student Workbook from Kolbe as well? What about the virtual labs CD?

I would like to pick up a used copy of the Miller Levine Text from Amazon. That doesn't affect the online access, right? As the code comes in the course plans, correct?

I would love to hear about what others have used with this course and found to be necessary.

Thanks for your input. I have gone round and round with reading biology threads and I just need to make this decision once and for all!!

I bought this a few years ago, and yes, the access code came with the course plans. At that time, they didn't sell that workbook. You can get the workbook cheaper on Amazon. I got the textbook new straight from the publisher cheaper than Kolbe's price. I didn't have the answer key to the workbook, and just used the text to check it myself. I liked having the workbook, and used the chapter vocab reviews in it as quizzes.

If you are going to do "real" labs, you can skip the virtual lab CD if you want. My easily frustrated daughter found it frustrating:) The CD, again, may be cheaper straight from Prentice-Hall)

I thought the course plans, tests, etc from Kolbe were helpful.

Carolyn

When my daughter did biology, we originally bought the Holt text and OM syllabus, but decided to use the Miller-Levine book with the Kolbe course plans instead.

We used just the course plans and text from Kolbe, and I bought the general biology lab kit from Labpaq. Since we were doing hands-on labs, we skipped the virtual lab CD. I found it used, and my daughter looked at it, but wasn't impressed, so we shelved it.

We did that course last year.

Kolbe plans and answer keys are very useful.

The online access, we barely used.

The Virtual labs were replaced with real labs. This year, though, for chemistry, we're using Virtual Labs. It looks ok, not great, but decent. It will never match a real lab though.

Look at the Landry chem labs. They teach two days of solid labs and you could come to the US for a visit. :D

We're using this this year. We have the textbook, the course plans and tests, and the answer key. There is a form inside the course plans you send in to get the online access code.

This is the first I'm hearing of a workbook, there are section reviews and chapter reviews that are in the online component. So I'm not able to comment on the value of the workbook.

I got the Lab Report guide but haven't used it. The virtual lab dvd comes with the package but I also haven't used that. Instead I bought The Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments and their lab kit.

hth!

Look at the Landry chem labs. They teach two days of solid labs and you could come to the US for a visit. :D

What? real labs??

I googled them, and yes, it does sound interesting. But I don't him DS to do all his labs in the fall (those are the labs closest to us - he won't work on his textbook after that). So maybe next year?

Edited by CleoQc

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think then I will just get the textbook, the course plans and tests, and the answer key. Sounds like no one likes the virtual labs. I downloaded the Illustrated Guide to Home Biology (Thanks Kate in Arabia) and I will look into the various kits you guys have used.

Thanks again!