Menu

Any cool ipad apps for learning metric measurment?

AimeeM

We are using MM for our spine, and while it is working very well for DD, MM metric measurement doesn't do the same for her. Metric measurement is the thorn in her side :glare:.

Any cool ipad apps for it? Or should I just have her memorize the conversions - plug and chug?

I recommend "learning by doing." Have her measure a book, the table, the counter, her room in English and metric units. Make a chart of each. Look at the unit markings on a glass measuring cup. Compare the volume units on a bottle of oil and shampoo. If you have a kitchen scale that measures in both unit systems, weigh whatever you have on hand from the very light (paper clips) to heavier (full bag of flour or a large can). Without the scale she can look at the units on the packaging.

We've always done metric like this. My kids can estimate length in cm and m, volume in ml and l, and weight in g and kg.

I recommend "learning by doing." Have her measure a book, the table, the counter, her room in English and metric units. Make a chart of each. Look at the unit markings on a glass measuring cup. Compare the volume units on a bottle of oil and shampoo. If you have a kitchen scale that measures in both unit systems, weigh whatever you have on hand from the very light (paper clips) to heavier (full bag of flour or a large can). Without the scale she can look at the units on the packaging.

We've always done metric like this. My kids can estimate length in cm and m, volume in ml and l, and weight in g and kg.

She can do this - but hasn't memorized them by any stretch of the imagination.