Menu

If you *had* to buy grocery store dog food...

Which brand would you get? I'm just researching options. We've been using Nutro Natural dog food but our budget is getting tighter and I'm wondering if I can trim a bit there. So... what's not terrible that I can buy at the grocery? Or what's a cheaper natural food? Or where can I get Nutro for less??? (I buy it at Petco or Petsmart now.)

Of the foods available just about anywhere, my vote would go to Purina One or Purina One Beyond, and I'd supplement with some high quality inexpensive protein like boiled eggs, plain yogurt or any bits of leftover meat you have (but then I firmly believe in adding some healthy "human" food to a dog's diet regardless of how "good" the kibble being fed supposedly is).

And I know a lot of people who say the Kirkland brand of food sold by Costco is a good food for the money. We're not members, so I've never taken a close look at it myself.

YES, COSTCO! If you have a COstco, they make a lamb and rice that is the same in nutritional value as Neutro that is half the cost. I believe they also have a chicken and rice.

We used to use Neutro lamb and rice and switched and my dogs didn't seem to mind the change at all, not even sure they noticed. A 40 pound bag is $24.

Dawn

YES, COSTCO! If you have a COstco, they make a lamb and rice that is the same in nutritional value as Neutro that is half the cost. I believe they also have a chicken and rice.

We have always bought our dog food at Costco. He seems happy enough with it, he's healthy and the vet has no concerns with it (though I'm sure she'd prefer we bought the stuff she sells). We usually get the lamb and rice though we've used the chicken and rice as well.

We use Taste of The Wild for our dog that we buy at a feed store. It's totally grain free and is a 5-star food at dog food advisor. We pay 27.50 for a 15 lb bag, which lasts us about 3 months. They have a 30 lb bag which is a better deal in the long run.

http://tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

We first bought the venison and bison, this time we got salmon.

If I had to buy grocery store food I think I'd go with Iams.

Which brand would you get? I'm just researching options. We've been using Nutro Natural dog food but our budget is getting tighter and I'm wondering if I can trim a bit there. So... what's not terrible that I can buy at the grocery? Or what's a cheaper natural food? Or where can I get Nutro for less??? (I buy it at Petco or Petsmart now.)

You might find grocery store dog food more expensive because you have to feed a dog more. I've heard others say it is not so, but it is for us when we do the comparison.

My favorite dog food is Taste of the Wild. You can locate it at their website. It's also the least expensive when I do comparisons cost wise. We've fed Innova Evo too but that is spendy.

Recently I switched to Costco's grain free version. Frankly, I don't think it's as good.

Why oh why oh why can't my local Wilco carry TASTE OF THE WILD? (Insert cry and sad violin song.)

We always fed our dog Purina or Old Roy. He looked great and had great energy until old age stated to get to him. Vet always said he was healthy. He did get any food scraps that hit the floor, and some leftovers every now and then. Either one was $9 for a 40 lb bag.

I actually feed my dog raw chicken and buy the cheapest that is available at the store (usually chicken leg quarters for $0.59/lb.) It's far cheaper than any of the better quality dog food, available at any grocery store, and our dog looks better than he has looked in years.

This is true and not true all at the same time depending on the size of your dog and where you live (kind of like the grocery discussion, kwim?)

We've fed raw for years and it is FAR superior. Your dog will look better than he ever has. His teeth will look a lot better, his coat will look a lot better, and to be frank, his poo will look SO much better (and there will be less of it and it will be easy to clean up.)

I'll add that we had a problem with Legend when he was little and we were feeding raw only in that he was anemic. Dogs need about 25% red meat in their diet apparently? So, chicken alone won't really do it and you have to be careful about just adding something super high in iron like liver because it's incredibly rich. (And, as a side note, in any quantity over a scrap or two will give them disgusting diahrrea.)\

Here is a great FAQ on feeding raw if it's interesting:

http://leerburg.com/feedingarawdiet.htm

Our dog is near 100 lbs. You feed them 2.5-3% by weight, so he needs about 3lbs. of meat each day. With 25% of it being red meat he needs almost a pound of ground beef.

Now, dogs NEED bone if they are being fed raw. So, if you call your local meat locker, I used to be able to order cases of wings & backs for $0.49 per pound.

Chicken - 2.25lbs @ $0.49/lb is $1.10

(Even hindquarters on sale are about $0.70/lb if you order by the case.) 2.25lbs @ $0.70/lb is $1.58

The cost comes in at the ground beef.

0.75lbs @ $2.49/lb $1.73

So, assuming you can't order cases of wings/backs

A 100lb dog would be eating:

1.58+1.73=$3.31 each day multiplied by 14 days - $46.34

The large Taste of the Wild bag costs about $38. This will last me two weeks.

The large Costco bag (weighs more than TotW, but costs less, but I have to feed 1 full cup MORE each day) lasts about two weeks and that is $33. (This is the grain free version.)

So, raw, for us, is slightly more expensive.

Cheap dogfood, for us, would be MORE expensive because we'd have to feed him more and probably more in vet bills. He doesn't do well on grains.

But there's a cost comparison, if it's any help for you! ;)

If I remember right, our vet said that of the grocery store brands, Purina Pro Plan was the one she liked best. I know it was Purina.

I was feeding my golden a mix of Royal Canin Golden Retriever and whatever other premium food Tomlinson's had on sale, so she had Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Natural Balance mixed in with the Royal Canin.

We're feeding our puppy (apparently mostly german shepherd) Royal Canin puppy food. That's the brand our vet likes best when there are no issues that have to be dealt with, like needing grain-free.