Menu

Oh my, a bubbling toilet can't be a good thing

lynn

when it is accompanied by a non draining tub. I keep telling myself...."it's going to be an easy fix, the plumber will come out snake the lines and be on his way".... Please send good thoughts that this will be an easy fix and not cost our vacation money to fix.....

Update: DH had me check the clean out last night and told me the plumber might want to pump at $400 but to tell him we checked that and did not see any water. Sure enough first thing plumber said was "It must be the septic tank, I'll pump that." However, I was able to tell him that I had checked and did not see water!. He just spent 5 minutes and snaked the lines for just $125. We have working toilets and draining tubs once again.

Edited by lynn

My toilet bubbles with the tub, sink, and washer. I also have a huge winter problem where stuff must freeze because it takes HOURS for the tub to drain, toilet doesnt flush, and i run the washer drain out the window.

When it happens this winter, the landlord WILL be getting it fixed.

I'm sorry and hope that your's is an easy fix.

What sort of drainage/sewer system are you on? It's happened twice to us, and both times was a city fault. The last time ds actually called me to see an overflowing manhole down the street, and I reported it myself. Maybe take a walk around the neighbourhood and and see if you can see / smell a problem?

Sounds like a plugged clean out vent. We're on a city sewer - not sure if septic is the same...

You can fix this without a plumber..... There is a vent on your roof - near the bathrooms usually. It is just a pipe - usually about 4 inches in diameter. You would run a hose down that and turn the water on full blast. Have someone in the bathroom to make sure the toilet or tub doesn't over flow.

If you can get one at Lowes for about $10 - there are these little attachments for the hose - they are rubber and have the hose threads on one end, and a little metal valve on the other. The rubber expands to block the sides of the vent so that the water is forced down to clear out the clog.

It's really simple - I did this about two months ago. Saved me about $400 (minimum). If you can try this first - I highly recommend it.

Two different times now when our toilet started bubbling with the washing machine, it meant someone had to come and waterjet out our waste line.

The first time the town did it for free but said they wouldn't do it again because we don't have a place outside where it can be done and they had to enter our basement and technically they are not allowed to enter the house.

So the second time we had to hire a plumber and it cost $250.00.

It was about three years in between before it needed it again that second time (which was just like a week ago).