Menu

OLLY vs Ultimate Homeschool Planner

knit247

I give up. Again. I loved HST years ago, but I have been using the HST Online version now for almost two months and it just doesn't do it for me any more. I spent a good portion of time yesterday afternoon and again this morning trying to determine what it is that I need/want, and have decided that I like the looks of both OLLY and UHP...

OLLY looks really neat and I do like the idea that it is all on the computer and that things can be changed/bumped, etc. I also like the fact that there should be an app soon, which (I assume) would let my DDs look at their assignments on their iPod Touch. However, the time involved with rescheduling assignments that really should've been two days, etc. on HST Online makes me wonder if I'll run into the same irritation with OLLY. I feel like I "should" use a computer-based planner, as paper is out ;) but have a sneaking suspicion that going back to paper would be easier. UHP looks so stinkin' pretty, and I really like the idea that my DDs would have a book to physically write in each week. I wonder if in the end it would be easier???

Thoughts? Anyone use both? What did you end up with and why? And FWIW, I like Donna Young's site and have used her sheets - or my variations of them - before. I'm just too overwhelmed to throw that back into the mix right now :tongue_smilie:

• 7 months later...
Guest flyesq

First "post" here.... This is MY question... wondering if you have discovered an answer to finding the best planner. I am trying to become a organized "planner", not just end up with unused planning sheets/ programs! Looking at OLLY vs the homeschool helper app for i pads, or whether to go with the physical Ult Homeschool Planner, which is currently on my mind...

Someone on here raved about a planner a homeschool mom made. There are different covers. The inside is relatively simple. You write down the subjects on a half sheet (the long way) and the M-F pages are turned to go "with" it until you change the half sheet thing (new semester, whatever). I think it was in the $15-20 dollar range. I CANNOT remember what they are called though. The mom/creator of the planner even had a ~5 minute video to explain it. I have thought about getting it, but a simple grid like MFW has seems to work for DS. We will see what DD prefers in the fall; she is a very different child than her older brother!

I hope someone might be able to link what I am trying to explain. If I find it, I will come back and link it.

Someone on here raved about a planner a homeschool mom made. There are different covers. The inside is relatively simple. You write down the subjects on a half sheet (the long way) and the M-F pages are turned to go "with" it until you change the half sheet thing (new semester, whatever). I think it was in the $15-20 dollar range. I CANNOT remember what they are called though. The mom/creator of the planner even had a ~5 minute video to explain it. I have thought about getting it, but a simple grid like MFW has seems to work for DS. We will see what DD prefers in the fall; she is a very different child than her older brother!

I hope someone might be able to link what I am trying to explain. If I find it, I will come back and link it.

Ok, I am back. I found it! Not sure if this is even of interest to you or not. Just thought I would link it so you are not wondering if it could be "the one".

Ok, I am back. I found it! Not sure if this is even of interest to you or not. Just thought I would link it so you are not wondering if it could be "the one".

I've never seen this before. I love the set-up of this log book for my dd8. Thanks for taking the time to find it. Another purchase added to my list. :)

• 1 month later...

YOu can use OLLY just on your iPad. I don't find it "easy" to use that way - a lot of spots in a small area. It is for sure one of those "your mileage may vary" kind of things! For me, it is an extension of the Mac app - but I gather others are doing just fine with it standalone!

You can go get in on the BETA testing for free right now, post in the forums because he said he was running behind in adding people to it.

And no, it is an iPad only app and from what I gather the iPhone/Touch version will be the limited checklist/directions type of app.