Menu

Notebooking question

Tammi K

We've just started notebooking (grades 9 and 6) and I've been wondering about something. I've been asking my kids to write a rough draft and then copy it on to their notebook pages. (DS11 - grade 6 has horrible spelling and frequently forgets punctuation.) I was thinking that their notebooks should reflect beautiful 'polished' work. But, now I'm wondering if I should take a less formal , more 'tell me what YOU learned' type of approach.

I'm thinking that constant pre-writing might bog down the process. But, on the other hand, I want a neat, tidy looking collection of pages.

What do you who do notebooking do with your children?

We've just started notebooking (grades 9 and 6) and I've been wondering about something. I've been asking my kids to write a rough draft and then copy it on to their notebook pages. (DS11 - grade 6 has horrible spelling and frequently forgets punctuation.) I was thinking that their notebooks should reflect beautiful 'polished' work. But, now I'm wondering if I should take a less formal , more 'tell me what YOU learned' type of approach.

I'm thinking that constant pre-writing might bog down the process. But, on the other hand, I want a neat, tidy looking collection of pages.

What do you who do notebooking do with your children?

They write in pencil on TQ notebooking pages. They erase and rewrite punctuation and spelling mistakes, but I don't have them rewrite entire sentences. They also have Thinkwrite essays - 8-15 per year. They make a rough draft with pencil/ paper, edit with me, and type for their notebooks. HTH.

I do it two ways for dd (8), she either writes her narration right in her notebook if it is short. I do require her best handwriting. If it is long, I write down exactly what she says then have her copy it neatly. This way she does not have to concentrate of both...what she wants to say and neat handwriting.

You could have them type their notebook pages. I did this with my youngest ds, his handwriting is awful.

I do expect neat work for their notebooks. Neat drawings, coloring, and writing. I do not have them write everyday so rewriting would not be a problem, write a rough draft one day ans the next write it neatly in notebook, this is how dd will do it next year.