Menu

Study skills...resources for Logic Stage?

I am reading the Study Skills Handouts from here.

My 3rd grader's teacher was talking about the SQ3R method and now I am trying to figure out what that is. His school also covers test taking strategies as part of test preparations for standardized testing.

SQ3R is a reading comprehension method based on the five steps of Survey, Question, Read, Recite, and Review.

When faced with a new reading assignment (history chapter for example), the student is supposed to quickly skim the material, reading the intro and summary, headings, graphics and such. Then he is to formulate a question/s about the material based on each heading before reading thoroughly. After each subsection the student is to mentally recall the question/s and see if each can be answered based on the reading. Finally once the entire chapter is read all of those pre-reading questions are to be answered to show comprehension.

I suppose there are students who would benefit from using the SQ3R technique. My kids did/do not :tongue_smilie:

I found these books at my library and want my DD to begin going through them. I am not sure if these are what you are looking for, but they are written to the student.

https://www.rosenpublishing.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=10532&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Hopefully, you can find a set in a library near you to look at. If you search by ISBN you can some on Amazon.

There is a Galore Park book that looked good. http://www.bookdepository.com/Study-Skills-Elizabeth-Holtom/9781902984599

Your post about the exam is something that's been on my mind as I think about out goals for the next couple of years. He's doing so MUCH content reading this year, and I wasn't thinking about tests this early, but want to increase retention (mainly motivation for retention!)

Edited by Penelope

I think SuperStar Student (2nd ed) is a fabulous "first step" toward being a better student. We own it (all of the TC sets go on sale one or more times per year -- I would expect to pay $40 or less for this one) and I expect to have my kids watch through it about every other year. It's not going to cover the *practice* of things like note-taking, outlining, studying, etc, but he does go over the basics in an enthusiastic, engaging way.

I'd say the video is probably best for students in grades 7-10, but even a 5th grader would likely get *something* out of it. An older high school student might not take as kindly to the hyper-enthusiasm of the host (though I think he's wonderful), but if he or she is interested in improving study skills, it would still be worthwhile.

I think SuperStar Student (2nd ed) is a fabulous "first step" toward being a better student. We own it (all of the TC sets go on sale one or more times per year -- I would expect to pay $40 or less for this one) and I expect to have my kids watch through it about every other year. It's not going to cover the *practice* of things like note-taking, outlining, studying, etc, but he does go over the basics in an enthusiastic, engaging way.

I'd say the video is probably best for students in grades 7-10, but even a 5th grader would likely get *something* out of it. An older high school student might not take as kindly to the hyper-enthusiasm of the host (though I think he's wonderful), but if he or she is interested in improving study skills, it would still be worthwhile.

:iagree:

I have SuperStar Student. My older kids enjoyed it. Dd9 will watch it in a few months.

ETA: I have the Tim McGee version. Here is a thread I started from 2008. :)

Edited by Beth in SW WA