LMV Posted September 26, 2012 Share Posted September 26, 2012 We currently have three daughters (16, 12, and 2) at home with a fourth who should be arriving any day [unless sheâ€™s like our oldest daughter who arrived only after induction at 42 weeks]. Iâ€™m a physician but Iâ€™m off work at the moment in preparation for her birth and the plan is for me to return to picking up at least a few ED shifts each month after she is two weeks old. Weâ€™re honestly not sure how that will work but weâ€™re in a bit of a physician crunch at work at the moment and my husband and I feel like we do need to at least try this. He has been working as an attorney but arranging his work around when Iâ€™m home or the kids are sleeping etc so we wonâ€™t have child care issues. Iâ€™ll actually be home more over the next six months than I was over the previous six months. We have done medical respite and emergency foster care for medically fragile kids over the past few years. Over the past year we have mostly had one child who seems to get along well with our kids and really isnâ€™t a very intense medical placement. We just got a call from her caseworker that she has been readmitted to the hospital and they are hoping to arrange some respite for after discharge. We have done this many times before so I almost said yes with the provision that it would be ok if we ended up dropping her off at DHâ€™s Auntâ€™s house with the rest of our kids if I went into labor. I refrained from committing to get a chance to talk to DH a little and left things open so the caseworker will check in with us on Thursday after my next OB appointment and see where things are and where things are regarding discharge for this child. The caseworker also mentioned that it may not be possible for her to return to her current long term foster placement and wondered if we would consider taking her at least as an emergency foster placement and ideally as a long term foster placement. DH and I have discussed this. In our hearts, we feel pulled to do this. We have developed a connection with this child over the past year and feel like if she needs this then we're probably meant to come through for her. Weâ€™re going to do some praying and we want the opportunity to talk to our two older daughters at home. Our oldest daughter has a rehearsal for a state wide ensemble she plays in tonight so weâ€™ll sit down with them both separately some time tomorrow and at least discuss the situation. I know that ultimately we will have to make the decision that is right for our family. However, I also know that sometimes people with a certain degree of detachment from the situation can identify pitfalls much more readily. I also know that many of you have some BTDT insight on one or more of the issues of the situation. Any suggestions, advice, or illuminating questions are welcome. Thanks! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.