Menu

Prilosec for young adults?

DS's student med center is wanting him to try 2 weeks of Prilosec for general GI discomfort that has lasted several weeks now. The pain is mildly uncomfortable, doesn't keep him up at night or wake him in the middle of the night, doesn't seem to be anything emergent (ie, appendicitis). He was on serious antibiotics a little over a month ago, but he feels like those would have run their course by now. He just doesn't feel like himself, is mostly so nauseated in the mornings that he skips lunch, and is growing frustrated. Based on his symptoms, he says he can totally empathize with a woman in early pregnancy!

Next step, per med center, is a 2 week course of Prilosec. Personally, I hate the stuff, after experiencing side effects from a 6 week course I had to take a few years back. I don't want my personal bias to get in the way, but I don't want him to feel worse from the cure, kwim?

I think I am going to go ahead and make an appointment with my GI doc for when ds is home on fall break. If we need to do testing and stuff, I'd rather be dealing with folks we know. He is at school 2 hours away.

Guess I am just rambling now, I just feel at a bit of a loss, trying to walk that tightrope between hovering and letting him handle his own affairs. Just wasn't quite ready for something that might end up having a doc order an ultrasound or scoping procedure :tongue_smilie:.

Thanks for your input...

ETA -Oops,this turned into more of a vent than a post, I really did have a question - if you've had a young one have to take prilosec, was it effective and were the side effects minimal?

Edited by Seasider

I have taken high doses of Prilosec for an extended period of time, as well as the prescription generic version of Protonix for several years. I never had any unwanted side-effects. I know several people who've taken Prilosec and similar prescription medicines with only good results.

ETA -Oops,this turned into more of a vent than a post, I really did have a question - if you've had a young one have to take prilosec, was it effective and were the side effects minimal?

My 17yodd has had various stomach issues for almost her entire life. Two years ago, the pain intensified and was debilitating. The first meds prescribed by the doctor would have cost us $300/month. We opted for tw rounds of Prilosec instead. She suffered no ill side effects, but because of what she read online, she chose to not take the third round. Her stomach issues cleared up, and she was then able to attend two different week-long+ events that she never would have been able to attend prior.

Verdict for my dd: life changing.

My dh and my youngest (8yo at the time) both took Prilosec for a short term. My youngest was having acid reflux problems and the doctor said for her to take it for two weeks and then stop. If that didn't fix it, she was to go back to the doctor again. It stopped after a few days on Prilosec, but she did continue for two full weeks.

My dh did the same thing several years later.

It is good to start with the GI dr. Thankfully, Endoscopy is very simple and could help if it is stomach issues right away. Im sure your GI will be a huge help.

...Gallbladder issues are not out of the realm of possibility either...My DD had a bout similar but it stopped. She was on Omeprezol (cant spell), and Carafate at first...with no help...but it finally just stopped.

In my DD case, stress is her leading cause of stomach pains and acid. Maybe it is something simple that is leading to his pain that can be calmed through some relaxation techniques.

Edited by mchel210

My ds11 has been on it for about two and a half weeks and will continue to be on it until mid December.

He is very low weight and had suspected celiac disease. The endoscopy did not show the damage that celiac disease would show, but did show that he was having reflux issues. The GI doc put him on the prilosec and said to come back in two weeks. Yesterday we had that appointment, he has gained a pound and a half and grown half an inch in the past month.

We suspect that the reflux issues are what was causing him to not want to eat. So he will be on the prilosec for three months, until mid December. I know that there are side effects to every medicine, but right now I am loving this one.

I am 26 (I was 25 when I took it,) is that young enough to be helpful? I was told to do a 2 week course because I had HORRIBLE stomach pain and vomiting and I couldn't sleep. The Prilosec helped (or at least taking it coincided with my problem going away) but I was stuck taking it for over 6 weeks because every time I tried to get off it I was back to horrible pain and vomiting. We looked it up and apparently you have to slowly decrease the dose over a week or it's awful, just like I was. I'm not entirely sure it was worth it. I'm not sure what I'd do if I had to do it again. Thankfully we figured out it was probably the iron supplements I was taking that was causing the original problem, so hopefully I'll never have to consider taking it again.