Menu

Dr. Hive: hysterectomy for migraines

I'm considering this. I have hormone related migraines. I'm currently taking two different preventive prescriptions, in addition to natural supplements, to try to prevent my migraines. Also, I have two prescription triptan medications to take when I do get migraines. Lately my headaches have increased in duration and, although they go away when I take my triptan meds, they return later that day. I'm at the end of my rope here. So, anyone had success with surgery? Thanks.

:grouphug: Have you tried a major diet change to see if that would help?

I've been eating low carb for 2 1/2 years, but it hasn't helped with my headaches-but I eat this way for other health reasons. I've kept a food journal before, though, and have never been able to trace my headaches to food triggers. They aren't connected to chocolate, aged cheese, nuts, or other "typical" food triggers.

I've been eating low carb for 2 1/2 years, but it hasn't helped with my headaches-but I eat this way for other health reasons. I've kept a food journal before, though, and have never been able to trace my headaches to food triggers. They aren't connected to chocolate, aged cheese, nuts, or other "typical" food triggers.

Since you are already eating low carb, this may not help you, but I noticed a reduction in my headaches when I gave up gluten, coffee and dairy. I think it had more to do with gluten and coffee than dairy.

Since you are already eating low carb, this may not help you, but I noticed a reduction in my migraines when I gave up gluten, coffee and dairy. Both the stabbing migraines and the dull, achey chronic headaches went away. I think it had more to do with gluten and coffee than dairy. FWIW, I still take a daily preventive medication too.

Whew, it would be a killer for me to give up coffee!

Whew, it would be a killer for me to give up coffee!

Yeah, I feel the same way. Every few days I have a cup, and it kind of helps one kind of fuzzy headedness, but it definitely causes another kind of headache. :glare:

I asked my doctor about hormone related migraines. She feels there are too many other causes (allergies & weather pressure changes) to warrant addressing the hormone issue. She isn't a neurologist though, just a PCP with killer migraines herself.

Yeah, I've thought about that. No easy answers here. Seems like there's always a negative side effect to every solution.:(

:grouphug:

I no longer have my ovaries, uterus or cervix.

I regret it more than anything in my life.

Your ovaries being removed means WAY more than experiencing "side effects." they produce 400+ chemical functions. EVERYTHING is effected- your central nervous system, your thyroid and adrenal glands, your metabolism, bone mass, sleep patterns, libido and in some cases, the ability to experience the big O, the list goes on and on...

Ovaries are responsible for a LOT more than reproducing.

I'm sorry you are suffering. I really am.:grouphug: I've been through a LOT and being on the other side, I now only suggest hysterectomies in a life or death situation.

You can PM me if you want to know anything else.

Again, I'm truly sorry. I strongly urge you to seek relief another way.

I had a hysterectomy and everything was removed. I was experiencing nearly a migraine every day before, and now they are rare. My hysterectomy was for other reasons though.

MSG and hydrolized anything in food ingredients will give me a migraine every.single.time. Those are my promary triggers. Allergies will also trigger a migraine as will fatigue. But, I would also look into rebound headaches. It really sounds like you can be having those.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

I haven't had such an operation, but I do suffer migraines. Interestingly enough I was tested for allergies & found I came back positive for dairy. Removed it in all forms from my diet & have had MAJOR relief.

Unfortunately it was also discovered that I have an under active thyroid which causes it to act up some times. :)

Thanks, all. I haven't been sleeping well lately, so I took something to help me sleep a few nights ago. Next day, no migraine. So last night I took something to help me sleep again, and (so far) no migraine today. Also, since I eat low carb, I don't eat much fruit, but today I ate some strawberries and plan to add more fruit in at least a couple of times a week. Hopefully these things will help. I really DON'T want to have surgery, especially if there's no guarantee that it will help. Also, I'm making notes about everything you all mentioned in this thread. How I pray that one day my migraines will disappear as suddenly as they started for me at the age of 19!

A friend had tubal ligation and that seemed to help her migraines a lot. I'm still not sure how the two relate, but she swears that's why she did it and it's helped her.

I had a tubal and my headaches have been much worse since. I used to get a couple migraines a year and now I'm getting them often and at least a bad headache every day. But to be fair, they think it's possible they gave me a spinal leak. So mine could be caused from that. It just hasn't presented *quite* like a spinal leak should so we're not sure.