Menu

Can someone medical translate?

I am suppose to have this blood work done for my RE but i want to know what these things are. The B/W itself is for pregnancy loss.

Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor 1

Protein S Activity and Antigen

Protein C Activity and Antigen

Antithrombin III Panel Activity and Antigen

Prothrombin G20210A Gene Mutation Analysis

MTHFR Gene DNA Mutation Analysis

Lupus Anticoagulant Evaluation

AntiCardiolipin Antibody- lgG, lgM, lgA

Leiden V Factor Mutation Analysis

Serum Chromosomes

Anyone else had this b/w done? How long does it take for results? How many vials will this be? :bigear:

These are standard repeated pregnancy loss labs. Some are testing for autoimmune issues and some (mthfr, and factor 5) are testing for clotting disorders. Just guessing I'm going to say 5-6 tubes of blood and if they are mail-off labs you are looking at a 1-2 week turn around time. How long they take depends on if the labs does them there or sends them off to be done.

These are standard repeated pregnancy loss labs. Some are testing for autoimmune issues and some (mthfr, and factor 5) are testing for clotting disorders. Just guessing I'm going to say 5-6 tubes of blood and if they are mail-off labs you are looking at a 1-2 week turn around time. How long they take depends on if the labs does them there or sends them off to be done.

Thanks. I have heard of the MTHFR and Factor V but none of the others. I know they are not at my REs office, I have to call my insurance and see where i need to go and then theyll do the b/w and mail it to my RE. Youre right in that case, it may take a while.

Is there anything in addition I should ask them to test for?(i know id have to call RE) Ive had the normal stuff done already- Thyroid, etc and that came back fine.

ETA: Is it possible this will come back fine and its an issue only when Im pregnant?

I am not quite understanding your question. Are you asking if any of these come back abnormal and they are only for pregnancy? Probably not. They may not be an issue for you right now depending on what the result is right now but even my 19yo daughter who does have Factor V knows that while she needn't change her actions at this age and with what she is doing right now, she can't take BC pills or any hormones. She also knows that if she ever breaks a leg, she will need to go on prophalactic anti clotting medication. Any pregnancy will be needed to be monitored more closely. And, as she starts getting older, she will need to be very careful with traveling, including maybe having prophalactic anti clotting drugs if travelling on a plane long distance but even now, she should get up and walk a bit.

I am on lifelong coumadin because of the Factor V and my history of DVTs and a PE. I also had no idea that the tiny clots I used to get with IVs were an indication of a larger problem and apparently the nurses in the hospital weren't either. My first incident was at 28 with a PE that was later dismissed by other doctors. That was followed up with a DVT with my third and last child which was not found but since it hurt the way my last DVT did and was in the same leg and that leg ballooned up, the doctors now think that was an undiscovered DVT. Then I probably had small DVT after a long car ride. And finally, at age 47, I broke my leg again, traveled on a few airplane rides to get home, and two weeks later was in the hospital. I was started on coumandin and have only come off now for testing and for a minor surgery. I will be on it now for life.

I gather they think you lost the baby because of a blood clot? Or are they just trying to rule out any potential causes?

I have both sadly. I didnt find out until Feb of this year when i first saw the RE.

You might ask if an endometrial biopsy to see if you are missing the beta 3 intergrin would be helpful. This is the "sticky" protein in the lining of the uterus that helps a fertilized embryo implant. I had the biopsy (painless) as part of a study and conceived the very next month. Something about the biopsy helps temporarily fix the problem.

I have PCOS and endo as well and have gone on to have 3 kids. The last one being a big surprise! So there is hope!

I gather they think you lost the baby because of a blood clot? Or are they just trying to rule out any potential causes?

They are leaning towards clotting because of a Placental abruption with my son, Placenta Previa WITH twin loss with my daughter, and a tear in my youngest daughters placenta PLUS m/c.

You might ask if an endometrial biopsy to see if you are missing the beta 3 intergrin would be helpful. This is the "sticky" protein in the lining of the uterus that helps a fertilized embryo implant. I had the biopsy (painless) as part of a study and conceived the very next month. Something about the biopsy helps temporarily fix the problem.

I have PCOS and endo as well and have gone on to have 3 kids. The last one being a big surprise! So there is hope!

Thanks and I will ask about that. I have 3 children already but we didnt have any issues until after our oldest daughter. I did have m/c before that but no getting pregnant issues until that point.