Menu

Explode the Code questions

PeacefulChaos

We used them mostly to firm up phonics, not as the initial teaching. I personally think they work better to come behind once a child is basically reading to reinforce phonics.

We just used them as we went, at varying paces. We started them in first grade. One of my ds was slower to learn to read. He is starting 3rd now (on the young end for grade though) and is in book 7. His twin could have easily been done by now, but I had him stop book 8 so his brother could catch up and we could pay more attention to some of the concepts in there - root words, prefixes, suffixes, etc.

I know many people fly through them, but my kids won't do more than a lesson or two per week.

We used them mostly to firm up phonics, not as the initial teaching. I personally think they work better to come behind once a child is basically reading to reinforce phonics.

We just used them as we went, at varying paces. We started them in first grade. One of my ds was slower to learn to read. He is starting 3rd now (on the young end for grade though) and is in book 7. His twin could have easily been done by now, but I had him stop book 8 so his brother could catch up and we could pay more attention to some of the concepts in there - root words, prefixes, suffixes, etc.

I know many people fly through them, but my kids won't do more than a lesson or two per week.

That sounds about like how quick we're doing them - just a couple of times per week.

They're not something I'm using as a main course, either. I just wanted to have something to refresh Astro's memory, and I'm thinking about getting the first 3 books (Get ready, get set, go) for Pink for pre-k next year.

I'm not sure we'll even finish them all with either of them (Link never did them), but I'm just trying to get a grasp on what the norm is and what they're geared for. :)

My K-er does about two pages a day, sometimes three if the pages are really easy. I usually assign him a page that has writing and one that doesn't (pgs where you circle or x the answers). He started a new book Aug 23 and is now on pg 41 of 106. I think a lot depends on how your child reads and writes in determining how long it will take to finish a book.