Menu

Please help me make a tasty soup

This is what happens when I don't go to the market with a plan.

I have a small head of green cabbage that I must use today. I also have a left over baked potato. One of the fairly large ones. I also have fresh onion, bell pepper, carrots and baby spinach. And I have pretty much most any frozen veg and some brown rice. But I'd like to use the potato. It is cool here and I'd like soup, but will consider some kind of one pot meal if anyone has a great idea.

Oh, and no meat.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Cut onion, bell peppers, carrots into pieces. Sautee in butter until they caramelize- this is what gives it the flavor. You can sautee the cabbage with it already (you might not want to use the whole head if it is very large, so the flavor is not overpowering).

When the veggies have started to brown, add water until you have the ratio water: veggies you like. Cut potatoe into pieces, add, bring to a boil. Salt and pepper.

Simmer covered until the potato pieces are soft.

I would not add the baby spinach to the soup.

Or do a cabbage casserole:

sautee cabbage with onion until soft. Carraway is a great seasoning. Boil potato.

Layer cabbage in a casserole dish and top with potatoe slices (or, if large potatoe, make alternating layers. Sprinkle with cheese if you have any, bake.

Alternatively you can make a cabbage-potatoe stir fry type dish in a stovetop pan.

Cut onion, bell peppers, carrots into pieces. Sautee in butter until they caramelize- this is what gives it the flavor. You can sautee the cabbage with it already (you might not want to use the whole head if it is very large, so the flavor is not overpowering).

When the veggies have started to brown, add water until you have the ratio water: veggies you like. Cut potatoe into pieces, add, bring to a boil. Salt and pepper.

Simmer covered until the potato pieces are soft.

I would not add the baby spinach to the soup.

Or do a cabbage casserole:

sautee cabbage with onion until soft. Carraway is a great seasoning. Boil potato.

Layer cabbage in a casserole dish and top with potatoe slices (or, if large potatoe, make alternating layers. Sprinkle with cheese if you have any, bake.

Alternatively you can make a cabbage-potatoe stir fry type dish in a stovetop pan.

As much as I want soup, a cabbage-potato stir-fry sounds yummy. I think I'll experiment with that. Thanks a bunch.

That was great!

I caramelized the onion and peppers. Then added some carrots and the cabbage along with a bit of minced garlic and some Greek seasoning, salt and pepper. When the veggies softened I cut up the baked potato and added it until it warmed and topped it all with a bit of cheese.

Yum!

Thanks so much for the idea.