Menu

Which place would you move to?

Hello,

I was just wanting to get some opinions. My husband was laid off back in July of this year. Today he applied for a position at a company he would love to work for & to our surprise has already received a call back & has an interview tomorrow.

The thing is that this job could cause us to transfer to another state. We are in Georgia now. This job could be in Charlotte, NC., Nashville, TN., or Orlando, FL.

Of course, we know nothing now, but if you had those three choices... North Carolina, Tennessee, or Florida... Which would you choose & why?

Thanks & have a great day!

According to the cost-of-living calculator at bestplaces.net, $50k in Nashville, TN is the equivalent of $47.9k in Charlotte, NC, and $46.4k in Orlando, FL. So your money would go the furthest in Orlando and the least in Nashville. But it's not a huge difference, not like moving from GA to some place really pricey like San Francisco or Manhattan.

Of those 3 cities, I would personally pick Charlotte because it has the highest concentration of educated people of the 3. A bunch of DH's business school classmates live there because they work for Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and the other financial services firms in the city. I can't think of any of his classmates who live in Orlando or Nashville, though without searching his alumni directory I can't be 100% sure. But they are definitely not among the top cities attracting his classmates, while Charlotte would be probably in the top 10 or 15.

I'd go for the area that has the best job market in my husband's field. That way, if/when he needs to find a new job, it will be easier to do so without relocating.

If the job markets are equal, go with the best pay.

If the pay is equal, go with the best quality of life. Look at homeschooling laws, weather, outdoor activities, etc.

Normally, I would be rational... however, with the inclusion of Orlando... I would say, hands down, I would move to Orlando so I could go to Disney World whenever I wanted. :D

I would want a house in Windsor Hills, the same place that we rent condos when we go to Disney. :D

DH, of course, would KNOW this, and he would choose this option, as long as everything else (regarding the job) was equal. :D

I would not go to Florida. If I recall correctly the home schooling laws there are pretty intense. Also, they have cockroaches the size of a small car. Ew.

Hmm. I don't consider the homeschooling rules intense at all. Yes, the cockroaches are large, that's why you use pest control stuff.

Having moved from the north and lived in central Florida the past 14 years, I now found Georgia to be "too cold." They get ice!

Good luck deciding! You can't beat living near Disney World!!!

I would choose Orlando first- easy homeschooling, easier than TN, Nashville second and CHarlotte third. WHy that order- Orlando is the cheapest area and no income tax, Nashville is the most expensive but the no income tax makes it cheaper than NC, and NC last because it is the most expensive. All are nice cities with both good and bad and so I just suggested by the economics.

We live in Charlotte and moved here from Orlando. I don't know how they calculated the cost of living in each, but for the same money we can have a house in Charlotte twice the size and pay half the taxes on it and have an enormous yard in a fabulous neighborhood. The crime rate here is significantly lower. The traffic is much less and anything we need is really close by. The Falls are wonderful and Winter is just long enough. I'd live here in a heartbeat over Orlando. I can't speak to Nashville. The homeschool law in Charlotte is lenient I think. And at our church a significant percentage of people homeschool. HTH! Hope he gets the job!

I loved living in NC so that would be my pick. NC is beautiful and it was so easy to get to different places on the East Coast so traveling was great. We went everywhere from NY to Orlando while we lived there. There are also great hs communities there. My best friend lives there so I might be a bit biased. My sis is a Disney fanatic so she'd pick Orlando everytime.

Charlotte in a heart beat. Orlando is too sticky and buggy with no seasons, and Nashville too country (for me, YMMV) and harder to get to other places up and down the Eastern seaboard. Charlotte is the best of all possible worlds (city, rural, size, education, price, etc).

Awesome for you guys that you may have a say in the matter!

Also, in Charlotte we are 2 hours from the beautiful mountains and 2 hours from the beach. Perfect. And if you can live in Ft Mill, the cost of living is even cheaper. Where are people getting the idea that living in Orlando is cheaper? The housing was so costly there and our house and yard were really tiny.

Thanks for all the great replies! My first choice was North Carolina. As much as I love Disney, I just don't think I want to live in Florida. However, if a great opportunity were to come up, well, I would think about it at that point. :)

We are a family that LOVES having four seasons, especially Fall. I think I would miss that so much if we went to Florida. At least NC and TN have the seasons, so that is big for us.

Hopefully, we will find out more tomorrow and see if this is something that we even need to be considering right now.

Thanks again!!! :)

I can really only give an opinion about FL...

My cousin does live near Charlotte and loves, though :)

As for Orlando- If you don't live in the City- the crime isn't bad. In the city - it's rough. Cost of living varies depending on where near/in Orlando you live. Homeschooling laws are really easy. No issues at all. It gets ridiculously hot in the summer, but the rest of the year is really nice. The beaches - both Atlantic and Gulf - are only about 90 minutes or so either way. Disney World, Sea World, etc., -all have GREAT home-school activities that we would have loved to be a part of had we lived near there....

Bright Futures Scholarships... If you think you'll be here until one or more of your kids will graduate - home-school kids are eligible for Bright Futures. Just google it - there are a few different levels of benefits. That right there might make Florida look very attractive :)

I'd go with

1. Charlotte. Close enough to the beach it is an easy drive. Nice change of seasons.

2. Nashville.

3. Orlando. I would choose to live in Orlando for a short term job assignment ( 6 months- 1 year) and take advantage of FL resident Disney offers and go to the beach, but the place does not appeal to me for longterm. I understand it has higher crime. There are big bugs. It is muggy much more than the other two cities.

We have lived in Nashville and Orlando. We loved Orlando and would move back in a heartbeat. Nashville we enjoyed but it is gray during the winter months and that was hard for me. We have looked at Charlotte and I think I would like that area also. Hands down though Orlando or other place in Florida.

I would have to go with Charlotte if making the decision. Mostly because we have family in the area and it would make relocating much easier. Also because we visit there often and it feels almost like a 2nd home for us. We would move to NC if the activities the kids do did not have so many more opportunities available to them here.

My other choices in order would be Nashville (love the music scene) and then Orlando because I like to go there on vacation but don't think I would want to do summers there.

Edited by Donna
forgot to add

My dh got a job in Orlando this past summer. We moved down from Jacksonville so no surprises on the weather or the bugs. The no state income tax remained the same. We chose a small town with a 45 minute commute to work for him but close everything else for me and the kids.

We have found a great community with a nice sized homeschool co-op, great community with lots to offer.

I love NC and would jump at a chance to live in Charlotte but we have been very happy with our move.

Best of luck with the job hunt!

I have lived in Charlotte and grew up in NC so I would pick NC. I hate the heat so Orlando doesn't appeal to me. I have an aunt in Nashville and I have visited there on my own many times with friends and it seems nice. So for me I would compare those two cities on city data. You have to consider your lifestyle. Do you like a city? Or suburbs? Outdoor stuff? The beach? Mountains? You need to see if that city offers you what you like.

NC in the cities has so many people from other places it's easy to get connected and fit in. It has 4 seasons. It has tons of colleges if you are thinking long term school stuff. It has mountains and the beach. You don't really get tornadoes or earth quakes there. Although Hurricane Hugo came through when I was in high school.....mostly wind/rain but we got a week off school :lol:

i don't think you can just choose on COL and weather. you have to enjoy the place you are in. I like the weather ok where i am now but it's by the beach. We prefer mountains. We miss the mountains. And while otherwise it's ok here we just don't love it b/c it's not our kinda environment. I want hills and tall trees. We rarely find people who like to do the things we like to do. So I would move to a higher COL to be back in the mountain environment we prefer.

good luck on the interview and deciding. I would think your dh needs to ask where the company wants him. My dh could have done another location for his current job but he was told this location was best...on site and won't be first to laid off if money went away. So we moved here. Good decision for the job. Not so good for lack of mountains, lol