Menu

x-post: best foreign language program for Japanese? Chinese?

My two boys and I were discussing today what foreign languages they'd like to study in the next couple of years. I'm ok with them picking 2 different ones because I think it'll be more motivating for them to learn it if it's the one they picked.

Link wants to learn Japanese (which is totally unsurprising, as he's been saying that for years) and Astro wants to learn Chinese (which he's also mentioned before).

So what are the best programs out there for them? They would probably be starting them in 5th grade.

For Chinese I would highly recommend starting with a native/fluent speaker. It's very important to get the tones right at the beginning. 'Singing' the right notes produces the meaning - it's not optional.

Once you find a tutor, s/he might have an idea about what books to use.

Laura

Hmmm... I highly doubt I can find a tutor for Chinese (or Japanese, for that matter). We live in a rural area/small town and I've run across plenty of spanish tutors but nothing else. :(

How would I find one? Is it likely I'd have to travel to the city? How often?

I ran across this when looking to see if I could find any tutors locally (and I can't - just spanish again) -- are there any reputable online 'tutors/teachers' that teach language?

Hmmm... I highly doubt I can find a tutor for Chinese (or Japanese, for that matter). We live in a rural area/small town and I've run across plenty of spanish tutors but nothing else. :(

How would I find one? Is it likely I'd have to travel to the city? How often?

I ran across this when looking to see if I could find any tutors locally (and I can't - just spanish again) -- are there any reputable online 'tutors/teachers' that teach language?

If you search for 'Chinese' on the forums you might find something - I know it's come up here before.

I live near a university town and we use a Chinese postgraduate student as a tutor.

Laura

Irasshai is a good program for learning Japanese. The problem is that it is a high school level class (though you can use it in middle school). I have looked and looked and cannot find a good one for elementary school age kids. I know Japanese fluently and have written my own which requires a fluent teacher so I can't just send it to you.

You might look on your library website to see if they have a free (to library patrons) database called Mango Languages. They have both Japanese and Chinese. The Japanese one has one for younger children called Little Pim. It says that it is aimed at ages 0 - 6 but really can be used for kids older than that It is an immersion style though that just says the words and then has the words written in English letters. Dd was only sometimes correct on what the words were referring to because the video would be teaching you colors and then switch to shapes etc. Mango has another level called "Basic". Dd had fun today doing just part of a lesson. She got tired and didn't finish the whole lesson but did well on the part she worked on. (Level 1 and 2 are for high school level and up.)