Menu

No good pears this year, what to do with them?

We have a pear tree in our yard. Last year they were great, we gave away so many. This year I don't think they're any good because of the drought.

I tested one by bagging it up for a few days to ripen. It tastes awful. They are half the normal size and not gaining the right color. I afraid the whole lot will be bad.

Is there anything we can do with the pears? Can animals eat them?

Wait until they ripen before you panic!

It's more labor intensive to cut them up, but our family LOVES applesauce and apple pie made just with pears. No change in the recipe, but the texture is even better than with apples.

We, too, did not have much of a pear harvest this year. It's funny how you kind of take it for granted that it will be an overwhelming job . . . and then it wasn't!

Try to enjoy what you can.

Could you use them in an apple-pear butter recipe? Maybe the apples, sugar, and spices would cancel out the ick?

I don't know, really. I tried to do some of that stuff last year and it all fell short. I am not a baker, cook, etc. I like to bake them with some cinnamon or eat them plain.

Wait until they ripen before you panic!

It's more labor intensive to cut them up, but our family LOVES applesauce and apple pie made just with pears. No change in the recipe, but the texture is even better than with apples.

We, too, did not have much of a pear harvest this year. It's funny how you kind of take it for granted that it will be an overwhelming job . . . and then it wasn't!

Try to enjoy what you can.

But how will now if they are going to ripen? Last year by this time they were perfect a few days after picking. The consistency this year is awful, they just taste half-done. Most of them on the tree are the same size and there are far fewer than last year.

Pear brandy. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/homemade-pear-liqueur-what-to-do-with-brandy-recipe.html I make my own dark royal cherry brandy with mace. There are not words but EVERYBODY stops by on Christmas Day for a cup of good cheer!!

Now that sounds enticing. :D

Stew them?

That might be workable too.

But if they don't ripen well is it worth the effort? Will they taste good at all?