Menu

I think I am going to take a new direction in school...advice?

misidawnrn

DD likes workbooks. I really wanted to get away from them this year and incorporate more of a CM style into our learning, which works great for science and history so we will stick with that.

As much as I hate "plug and chug" idea of workbooks, I ordered a CLE Language 3 light unit for DD to trial. I like it! I like the spelling words in it, the practice cursive in the back, the short lessons, etc. Right now we are using ABeka for language and spelling. The spelling words have NOTHING to do with each other phonetically speaking-which DD still needs. She is not a natural speller.

I am also starting my Master's program for nursing in January so I need DD to be able to work more independently on a few things so I still have time to do some preschool with little DD and my school (and cook, clean, grocery shop, work, laundry...etc, etc!)

I like the Math in CLE (from the looks of it) because it has so much built in review and practice vs. me telling her what to do from the ABeka math teacher/lesson plan book.

I just ordered all of the Math and the rest of the Light units for 3rd grade Language. I think I am going to have her work as independently as she can on those subjects and still read science and history together.

Does this sound like a workable plan....ie: I am not going to screw up her education by allowing more independent work?????

I think it sounds like a great plan! A 3rd grader can have some independant studies and if she likes workbooks then CLE is a great choice. They are solid. Give yourself permission to not 'be like everyone else'. I love the CM lifestyle too, but with 4 kids I need some things to just be open and go, all layed out for me and dc. Best wishes to you as you work on your masters!

I sure hope it won't screw your kid up, or mine will be, too! I have started to go the same route. I had in mind a fuzzy, snuggly, reading lots of books that interest us type of homeschool, but I have realized recently that though we can do that, too, workbooks just might have something to offer that I need: independence. Also, predictability, & simplicity.

My struggles are keeping my house from turning into a total dump during the hours we homeschool (with a 5 yo, 4 yo, and 1 yo, it can go from pretty tidy to epic bomb in 2 hours flat), and paying enough attention to my little ones.

I have recently added in some workbooks and I have realized, ya know what, we're all gonna be OK. The kids are fine with it. They even seem to enjoy them somewhat :001_huh: and share with me the little trivia tid bits they are learning. And just being able to answer questions and check their work while doing other things is such a relief. I really just don't have time to sit and "teach" through more than 1-2 subjects a day so I have decided to choose those wisely and whatever can be done independently, will be done that way.

And I feel like I might even have more energy & time for doing the fun stuff and the read alouds because they are getting through the workbooks on their own. Who knew?

Workbook on. I have decided that the best curriculum is the one that gets done (as I saw in someone's siggy! genius!). It really is true. Sometimes our ideal curricula does nothing but bring us down because it is too hard to accomplish in our specific situation.

I just ordered all of the Math and the rest of the Light units for 3rd grade Language. I think I am going to have her work as independently as she can on those subjects and still read science and history together.

Does this sound like a workable plan....ie: I am not going to screw up her education by allowing more independent work?????

You could buy the reading program, too. The reading is supposed to complement the language arts. We used CLE (the math, reading and language arts) one year when we were moving around the country. It really made things simple for us that year.

If you look around on their website - I think it's under supplemental items or something - they sell these thick, laminated reference sheets. My kids used those for several years. They have a reference sheet for language arts and one for math. Those things were awesome! :D

I was very drawn to CM methods early on too, and like you, found they worked well for us in history and science, but not so much in areas like LA. My kids needed more direct, incremental instruction instead. I say good for you for recognizing that your dd likes and does well with workbooks! Different styles of programs work for different kids and teachers--that's ok!

Merry :-)