Menu

Is there another semi self teaching art besides Atlier?

justLisa

I'm on the fence with this one. I wish I had something to compare it to. I just don't have the time to properly "teach" art to DD. I can help her and do project sometimes but I would love her to watch a lesson or something. I have a hard time fitting it in when I am solely responsible.

Can you get her art supplies, and a beautiful book of art?

Sometimes seeing something beautiful and having the materials to create can motivate someone into exploring their own creativity. You don't need lessons or directions, you need supplies and encouragement :001_smile:

Yes that is a good point. I am just thinking of something to teach her different techniques, KWIM?

I have good supplies....I could stand to have more books, but I don't think she has a natural inclination of how to produce something she sees on paper without some guidance. I am no artist.

Check out the DK book then I linked- its a good one. I prefer it because it is pleasant to look at and written to the reader, instead of a book of lesson plans (like you would use to teach her). It would be a self starter book to keep with the supplies. Usborne has a big art book for younger kids, if she wasn't ready for the DK book.

Would this book be okay for my 6 year old art self teaching boy? Our library does not have a copy and we are bad at the painting part of art.

from someone who was on the atelier fence for years, we LOVE it. So wish I'd bit that bullet years sooner. Worth every penny to this non-artsy mom. My kids do it for fun on their own time!

It looks like I'm just going to purchase the Atelier. I was just hoping for something similar to compare it to but it doesn't look like there is much out there.

What level did you get? I don't know where to place her. She is 6, but rather mature and picks up art techinques with ease.

I used Creativity Express years ago with Catherine and plan to use it again with Harry this year. It's 16 solid lessons that teach a bit about the tools of art, some techniques and even a bit of art history. Catherine had a LOT of fun with it. Rigorous, no but a great introduction to art and a nice way to introduce some fun, self-directed stuff into a younger child's school work.

I'm often surprised that I never see it mentioned here.

I used Creativity Express years ago with Catherine and plan to use it again with Harry this year. It's 16 solid lessons that teach a bit about the tools of art, some techniques and even a bit of art history. Catherine had a LOT of fun with it. Rigorous, no but a great introduction to art and a nice way to introduce some fun, self-directed stuff into a younger child's school work.

I'm often surprised that I never see it mentioned here.

I had never heard of that. I Looked it up and it looks nice. Does it have actual art instruction? I can't really tell from the screenshots

The Imagination Station DVDS (HSBC offered them recently) will introduce the basics. Mark Kistler's online lessons cover shading, perspective, etc. We also used Creativity Express years ago.

I have The Masterpiece Collection Art Instruction DVD sitting next to my desk right now but haven't started it up yet so can't offer a review. This is primarily for DD who is 8. I need to get some supplies before she can get started.

• 3 weeks later...