Menu

WWE2: Dictation and spelling?

Wabi Sabi

How important is spelling in doing dictation in WWE? My 2nd grader can do the dictations easily with the correct grammar and punctuation, but the spelling is pretty much butchered. It doesn't matter that he's copied the words previously or even if we go over the spelling just a few minutes beforehand- he still forgets and spells everything phonetically. We're working on spelling separately, but what about spelling in dictation? Should I sit next to him and correct every mistake as he makes it? Or just let it go for now and continue addressing his spelling issues separately?

I believe that she says in the instructions that the dictation is not a spelling lesson and that you don't want them to make mistakes because the goal is for them to see properly written sentences. So she says if they ask you how to spell a word tell them. Also you should watch what they are doing and not let them make mistakes. - Unless those instructions are meant for a different level?

You should say to him, "pause" and then hèlp him spell the word correctly. And if he asks you should spell it for him. Although its not a spelling lesson, you want him to practice writing and spelling correctly.

However, if his spelling is that far off, then IMO he should be backed up or you should wait a year. Even though its not a spelling exercise, your student will be frustrated if he has to stop at every other word to make corrections! My 3rd grade dd is doing WWE 2 and she only needs help for about one word, each sentence.

I read the other thread and I wanted to add that I think the point of writing verbatim is not for taking notes (that would be more like outlining and summarizing which we are all working towards), but rather to help the child learn to create a sentence and then hold it in his head while he writes it down. This was in the WWE text.

One tip I read (maybe in that thread?) was if there are some particularly tricky words you might want to write them somewhere visible for reference.

We don't have this problem because I apparently resemble the human form of spell-check. If there is any question in their minds they ask me. I've had to start prodding them to self-spell or else the whole thing becomes me spelling out most of the dictation. :tongue_smilie:

I read the other thread and I wanted to add that I think the point of writing verbatim is not for taking notes (that would be more like outlining and summarizing which we are all working towards), but rather to help the child learn to create a sentence and then hold it in his head while he writes it down. This was in the WWE text.

One tip I read (maybe in that thread?) was if there are some particularly tricky words you might want to write them somewhere visible for reference.

We don't have this problem because I apparently resemble the human form of spell-check. If there is any question in their minds they ask me. I've had to start prodding them to self-spell or else the whole thing becomes me spelling out most of the dictation. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, I do this ahead of time when necessary. I also just tell them in advance if they have trouble spelling anything to just ask and I'll help them.

I also have a gifted reader/writer who is a horrible speller! Watching this video helped me to understand what SWB is going for in regards to dictation. She helps her son immediately with spelling questions.

Also, as a side note, we just started from scratch with All About Spelling and I am already seeing exciting results.

I don't want to sit there and help them spell properly while they're writing from dictation. I think it would make them forget what they are trying to write with that going on, and the fact I have 3 doing the same level at once. I write the words I know they will have trouble spelling on the white board in a random order. This way, they can glance and see how to spell a word they may not know yet.:) This is working REALLY good for us.