Menu

study skills "seminar" at home

Has anyone taken a week from regular lessons to concentrate on note taking, reviewing for a test, memorization skills, and other "study" skills? What did you do? How did you structure the week?

I am working more hours this semester than I had originally planned. I do not have time ( or energy after work) for detailed oral narrations and discussions. I'm getting some resistance, okay, maybe a lot of resistance, to doing end of section/ end of chapter/ textbook written assignments. The boys ARE reading the material, but many days do not finish the written assignments because they are flat and boring.

I've got several "study skills" resources including Study Power, Teaching Co. videos, and "study" sections of various textbooks. I'm thinking about taking a week and concentrating on the methods of learning. We'll use our current curriculum, but I'm afraid we'll "get behind" in the books and lessons.

Is it better to stop now, learn to study well, and then continue on using the newly acquired skills?

OR

Should be plow through the lessons as currently assigned to stay on track?

Because of my work schedule we really are not getting everything done now. The thought of adding in something else seems overwhelming. We could not add "study skills" to the current plan. Something will have to drop out (and we are only doing essentials now as it is!) if I add in anything.

Thanks in advance,

Pam

I do not believe that teaching "study skills" in isolation is very effective. The best way to learn these techniques, IMO, is to use them in context with the assignments and tests that happen anyway.

My kids learn note taking when they have to take notes- either from reading or from a lecture. they learn it by doing it. They develop study techniques when they actually have to study for exams. I might make suggestions for effective ways, but ultimately they have to a) figure out which strategies work best for them, since it really depends on subject and learning style, and b) practice the method and tweak it to serve their needs.

I would simply use a few minutes here and there to give them ideas about effective studying - but they have to work it into their actual assignments. And, most importantly: a student will only master these techniques if he NEEDS to. If the material is so easy or the course so slow paced that they get by without, they won't learn it (students will learn to read a textbook or take notes in a lecture when their success depends on it, not because it is "the thing to do"; they won't learn time management until they are actually short of time and must juggle a heavy schedule.) For capable students, it often takes a fast paced, high pressure course to really become efficient.

My DD is developing great study techniques now that she is taking college courses; nothing we did at home as a "dry run" would really have prepared her for the work load and pressure.

So, if you want to teach them this successfully at home, you need to create a structure that forces them to employ good study habits: tight schedule, high work load, tough exams. This may be hard or even impossible; in that case, they might benefit from an outside class that demands these techniques.

Edited by regentrude

Is it better to stop now, learn to study well, and then continue on using the newly acquired skills?

OR

Should be plow through the lessons as currently assigned to stay on track?

I would do the former but rather than pull out the TC videos or a separate resource, I would incorporate the study skills into your current work. Let them learn to outline and take notes from the texts you are currently using. Let them learn to schedule, using vocabulary cards, study for a test using the substantive materials you already have. It may slow you down a bit, but it will be worth it! Doing the next lesson just to check a box when you think there are skills or content that still needs to be mastered won't be in their best interest in the long run.

Also, fwiw, I'm linking to Valerie(TX)'s excellent post on her study skills class. She actually did teach this as a separate class, so maybe she'll chime in with her experience. :001_smile:

Lisa