Menu

WWE3 summarizing advice needed

hs4ze

Our 9 yo (3rd grade) has done WWE2 and we're in Week 26 of WWE3.

Avid reader, oldest, just started after-schooling after 3 y of HSing.

Excellent auditory and memory skills, so dictation is not an issue, and in fact has tremendously helped spelling.

Resistant to writing, answers all the comprehension questions completely (although going back to re-read passage not uncommon for WWE3), still needs help summarizing, found out very early on that simplistic answers/narrations would make for shorter, easier dictations for writing.

we own WWE4, but i've been considering switching programs (Fred Lybrand, CW, IEW, WS???); however, i keep coming back to why, and i feel that the summarizing skills (which is what WWE3 is trying to teach) needs help, and i'm not sure the best way to learn it.

we only do WWE3 at home, and that is 2d/wk: one day for D1-2, and second day for D3-4.

thoughts? ideas? thought about taking a WWE3 break and having him write a 3-4 sentence summary of each chapter of a book, but i dunno. i'm nervous to fly solo from WWE workbooks.

Sounds like he's purposely shortening things to avoid writing. Smart kid. :D My son did that too, until he realized that if he was supposed to write one sentence of his narration and he gave me short sentences, I'd give him two sentences to write. I also would flat out tell him to give me a longer sentence. ;)

He stopped that behavior pretty quick when it resulted in writing MORE. :D

He stopped that behavior pretty quick when it resulted in writing MORE. :D

think you hit the nail on the head: it's not the summarizing that needs help, it's the actual writing.

he's actually home sick today, and i've read a few chapters of caddie woodlawn and asked him to summarize each chapter in 3 sentences. definitely needed help, but much more complete summary sentences i'm guessing b/c he knew he wouldn't have to write it today.

i think we'll park here for a few weeks. thanks for the advice; will definitely be direct if/when needed.

thanks again!