Menu

Dear Math & Science Moms

I need help!

I have a ds14 who is halfway through Dolciani Algebra 1. I am doing the teaching. I am now starting to worry that this is a mistake. Yesterday, as we were working through a lesson, we came across an example problem that I didn't understand. I read it through a number of times and I just couldn't follow the text's solution. So I told my son to take a break while I figured it out. Eventually I did figure it out, but now I am questioning my ability to proceed with teaching him. Although, he doesn't yet know what he wants to do in college, I think there is a good possibility of him deciding to do something in science. I don't want to mess things up for him. I want him to have a good, solid foundation to build on. I always knew I couldn't teach past Algebra, but now I am thinking I need to outsource that too. I could really use some advice. He is a good student, very bright and very logical. He is averaging an A so far.

What are my options?

I need help!

I have a ds14 who is halfway through Dolciani Algebra 1. I am doing the teaching. I am now starting to worry that this is a mistake. I always knew I couldn't teach past Algebra, but now I am thinking I need to outsource that too. I could really use some advice. He is a good student, very bright and very logical. He is averaging an A so far.

What are my options?

Linda,

Good for you for tackling Algebra with your son. It sounds like he is doing well. I suspect your knowledge is increasing, too! If you're game, I'd suggest continuing to work with your son while you find some resources to support the two of you. If you have the time, I'd suggest trying to work at least a few sections ahead of him in the text so you will have some time to find help on a particular concept if you need it. Also, there is no shame, IMHO, if you are going over an example with your son and you don't understand it for you to ask him what he thinks. Maybe he's looking at it from a different angle and has some insight. If you're both puzzled, then you can go and look for some help.

Is there someone nearby who can help with an occasional question -- your dh or older dd, maybe? Perhaps a neighbor, a retired engineer from church, a local college student, another hsing mom with more math knowledge? You could also look at on-line sources of help, like Khan academy for help with specific topics.

I personally love the Dolciani books, but another option with more "instruction" might be Chalkdust. You and your son could watch the videos together so you can both increase your knowledge. You might also look into Derek Owens for an outsourced math class if you decide to go that route.

It probably seems daunting to learn/relearn math with your son, but if you love to learn and have the will, it will be very rewarding. Personally, I'm a math/science mom, whose humanities background was pretty lacking before I started hsing. Over the years, I've learned lots of things with my kids (not necessarily taught it to them), and we've all benefited. I feel like my love of literature and language has really blossomed over the past few years while my son has been in high school. I found the time to learn Latin with him, and it's been very rewarding for both of us. Often times, we scratch our heads together over something, but then two heads are better than one, and we have a few places we can go if we get really stuck.

Best wishes as you decide what to do!

Brenda

Brenda,

Thanks so much for responding. I am really enjoying math this time around, but I am not sure I have a deep enough understanding to teach it. I can teach all the "A" problems, but what about the "B" and "C" problems. Those require a bit more thinking. Are the B and C problems for average students or are they only for advanced students?

I really like Dolciani too, but I don't have a solutions manual, just the teacher's edition. (We are using a 1990's edition.) This makes it hard and I assume it is only going to get harder the further we go.

If I did switch to Chalkdust, should I start him over at the beginning and quickly go through what we have already covered so there are no holes in his understanding?

Could you post the example here? I'll bet you could get help quickly! Don't be too hard on yourself for not understanding something right away. I think it's awesome that you are trying. It can be encouraging to a student to have a parent who cares enough to go through the material with him, struggle a bit, and push through.

OTOH, don't be hard on yourself if you decide to hire a tutor. A friend of mine has her dc tutored in math from 6th grade on up. It has been a good thing for her and her children.

Have you considered a program where he would teach himself from the program - without needing your input. My son is 14, average in math ability, and doing very well with Teaching Textbooks. He needs no input or extra help from me. I have him do the CAT at the end of each year and he consistently scores in the top 90% percentile.

I have five kids, so I couldn't possibly teach them a subject myself, so I rely on the kids teaching themselves from the books or programs. It is going very well for each of them. Just dd7 needs more input as she is only second grade. But the rest are pretty much left to their own.

I've used Dolciani with all of my kids. She writes GREAT textbooks!

If your so can do all of the A-level problems, he is mastering the material at a good solid level. If he can do all of the B-level problems, he is doing REALLY WELL and should be able to handle any math that he bumps into later on.

Some of the C-level problems are quite difficult. Dh and I each have two degrees in engineering from MIT. There are a handful of problems that after overseeing four kids work through the texts we still haven't solved!

We have the policy that if mom and dad can't do the problem, it doesn't count toward the homework grade. Ask us why we have the policy! :tongue_smilie:

Brenda,

Thanks so much for responding. I am really enjoying math this time around, but I am not sure I have a deep enough understanding to teach it. I can teach all the "A" problems, but what about the "B" and "C" problems. Those require a bit more thinking. Are the B and C problems for average students or are they only for advanced students?

Linda,

I have a newer Dolciani -- prob about yr 2000 or so. The problem set-up sounds similar. Does your TE have the suggested schedules and associated assignments in the front? My TE has schedules with suggested problems for "average" and "accelerated" students. I had always intended to do the "accelerated" assignments with my son, but we always ended up dropping back to the "average" schedule because we just didn't have the time for "accelerated". He's done very well with Dolciani, and he's learning Calculus now and has a strong background. The higher Dolciani books (Geo, Alg2, Adv Math) loop back over content enough that it really sticks.

In my text, the "average" course includes both "A" and "B" problems, and I think you do need some of the "B" problems for a thorough course. The "A" problems are usually pretty easy and "plug and chug" type. As you said, the "B" problems require a bit more thought. Those are the ones that will help you and your son develop your mathematical thinking skills.

I really like Dolciani too, but I don't have a solutions manual, just the teacher's edition. (We are using a 1990's edition.) This makes it hard and I assume it is only going to get harder the further we go.

I'm not sure if there is a solution manual around -- I think someone here was asking about one/looking for it in the last couple of years. Maybe you should try to start another thread specifically asking about solution manuals for Dolciani. It would probably help you a lot to have the solutions so if you get stuck, you can see the direction to take.

If I did switch to Chalkdust, should I start him over at the beginning and quickly go through what we have already covered so there are no holes in his understanding?

Personally, I'd suggest sticking with what you have and trying to get extra help. If you do decide to look at something else, if you've gone through some chapters in Dolciani and are understanding it well, I don't see the need to repeat the material in the new book. If you do get a new book, look it over and try to figure out what you've already covered. Again -- I think the book you have is fine (excellent, actually) if you can find a source of extra help and support.

Could you post the example here? I'll bet you could get help quickly! Don't be too hard on yourself for not understanding something right away. I think it's awesome that you are trying. It can be encouraging to a student to have a parent who cares enough to go through the material with him, struggle a bit, and push through.

OTOH, don't be hard on yourself if you decide to hire a tutor. A friend of mine has her dc tutored in math from 6th grade on up. It has been a good thing for her and her children.

I completely agree with MomsintheGarden here! Working with your son and struggling over the material, too, is a great way for your to model perseverance for him. If/when he goes to college, he will definitely find some subjects/material challenging, and he'll be way ahead of the game if he knows how to seek out help when he needs it. Sometimes I think hsers have an advantage in this area because they are used to either puzzling out something themselves or finding a resource to help them. When my older son was a freshman in college, he quickly found the evening tutoring sessions and the best tutors in those sessions. I remember him telling me how amazed he was that so few of his classmates took advantage of that service.

There are many math-minded moms here who would be happy to help/explain a problem if you are stuck. Longer term (and the higher you go), having access to some local help would be a good idea as well. A program that includes video instruction (like Chalkdust) might be helpful, but there will still probably be times when your son needs a bit of IRL help, so it would be a good idea to begin to identify sources of that help now.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Gwen,

Thank you. This is very helpful. We are mastering the A level problems. However, I definitely have trouble helping him at the B level.

This child could possibly be headed for a STEM career. Should he be doing all the B level problems? I want to fully prepare him.

I guess I am trying to think long-term and whether I should stay with Dolciani or go with something like Chalkdust that has teaching videos.

The higher Dolciani books (Geo, Alg2, Adv Math) loop back over content enough that it really sticks. This is good to know.

In my text, the "average" course includes both "A" and "B" problems, and I think you do need some of the "B" problems for a thorough course. The "A" problems are usually pretty easy and "plug and chug" type. As you said, the "B" problems require a bit more thought. Those are the ones that will help you and your son develop your mathematical thinking skills. This is one of the problems; I am not a mathematical thinker:tongue_smilie:I can do the "plug and chug", but problem-solving, no.

We are in section 5.10 - Factoring by Grouping. I can solve all the A level, but I need the answers to figure out anything beyond that.:001_unsure:

This child could possibly be headed for a STEM career. Should he be doing all the B level problems? I want to fully prepare him.

You don't have to do all the "B" problems, but definitely some of them. If your TE has a suggested plan for the course, it should list recommended problems to be done for each lesson.

Brenda

I tend to assign the odds for the B section. Your son should definitely do SOME of the B-level problems to ensure that he has a good understanding of the material.

Do try to get hold of a teacher's edition of the text you have. The TM has three levels of assignments, answers, and good sample problems to be done "in class" with answers. The TM is invaluable.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I feel somewhat better. For now, we will keep plugging away at Dolciani. I do know some people who could help with tutoring if we get into real trouble.

Thanks again. This forum is wonderful.:)

I also think that, imo, there is NOTHING wrong with 'Well, kiddo, I don't get this one. So you think very hard, and I'll think very hard, and if we can't figure it out by tomorrow we'll ask x.'

This is modelling persistence when faced with a seemingly intractable problem, as well as appropriate use of help when necessary, and is a skill which is VERY lacking among college students. Many students, when faced with a problem they don't immediately understand, will write 'idk' and move on, and then be out of luck when it's on the quiz.