Menu

Latin for Children A&B in one year?

KLA

We are looking at putting our 10 year old, ds (4th grade) in a classical school for 5th grade in fall of 2009. They start Latin in the 3rd grade and will be doing LFC level C in 5th grade. I want to prepare him to be as up to speed as possible when he jumps into school in 5th grade.

So, I'd like to do LFC A and B in one year with my so that he is ready to jump into LFC level C in the Fall of 2009 when he goes to school. Any suggestions for how fast to move, combining lessons, or anything? I would have 12 months to do this in if we start in August.

Thanks!

KLA

Well, I won't say it's not possible, but it IS quite an aggressive goal. I certainly think it's possible to master the grammar of both books in one year, but the vocabulary (approx. 500 words) is going to be tough. To finish both books, you'll need to spend no more than 3-4 days per lesson.

A little more explanation - We are looking at putting him in a classical school for 5th grade in fall of 2009. They start Latin in the 3rd grade and we were planning to start in the 4th grade this year (to include my 3rd grader) so i want him to be as up to speed as possible when he jumps into school in 5th grade.

They will be doing LFC level C in 5th grade so I want to prepare him.

KLA

That would be pretty tough since Latin For Children is a pretty intense program. Much more so then the Latina Christiana courses. I would of said you could of done LC1 and LC 2 in a year. I think that it would possibly be possible. But I would say no for LFC A and B.

What is the rush ? Your son is only in 4th grade? Would you be prepared to put him in a high school course in middle school? I guess it would all soley depend on the determination of your student but a year is really pushing it , especially since your child needs to master the words to move onto the next.

I wouldn't be rushing things if he were staying at home but I don't really have a choice since the school does LFC level C in the 5th grade.

So maybe my question is: What's the best way to have him ready for LFC level C about 12 months from now?

Again, thanks for any help and encouragement,

KLA

I would probably just start and see how it goes. We usually did a chapter in 4 days and the review lessons took even less time. As long as your son is grasping the concepts all will go well. If you only make it 1/2 way through Primer B then so be it, I'm sure the school will review a lot at the beginning of fifth grade.

KLA -

Cover what you can. Definitely put the bulk of your efforts into the grammar (ie. knowing your paradigms backwards & forwards), learn what you can of the vocabulary, and try not to stress about vocabulary that might be lagging or forgotten. Why?

Just to put it all in a little bit of a bigger perspective for you.... after level C, EVERY STUDENT in the school will be starting from scratch in a new text, most likely one that starts from the beginning (even LfC level D begins at the beginning.) Granted, the school is going to assume a certain level of proficiency in its students and will likely move along in this new text at a quick clip. Also, I'm assuming that the school has a fairly regular influx of new students and probably has a way to accommodate various levels of proficiency.

In case that all sounds muddled... what I'm really trying to say is that when schools (private, home or otherwise) begin Latin instruction so young, they all begin over again at some point. Sort of a layering of instruction. So even if your son struggles his first year because he's not quite caught up with everyone else, he'll get a second chance to solidify his Latin knowledge when everyone starts over.