Menu

HELP-- knitting sock -- really stuck!

http://www.socknitters.com/PATTERNS/basicsox.htm

Here's the link for the pattern. I am down to the Gusset part. I have done down to the picking up the stitches on the other side of the heel flap.

The next part of that confuses me. I have 4 needles currently engaged. 1 on each side, one at the top , and one at the heel.

I don't understand which way to knit and onto which needle -- do I add the stitches to the one on the side, or to the one from the heel? Or I wonder if I totally messed up somewhere in this step. I was fine up until this step. Now :eek:

Please help!!!!

I think I got it. I think that I knit the ones on the heel part ONTO the one on the side for 1/2 of the stitches. Then I Slip the other 1/2 of the stitches from the heel needle onto the other side. Then I am back to 3 engaged with one free to begin the next step: the Gusset decrease.

Wow, this is really taxing my brain!

Congratulations, you're almost through the toughest part. Being able to think about it and solve you're own stitch distributions are a key part of maturing as a knitter. Next year you'll be throwing away your knitting patterns and doing it all in your head.

If you do get too many stitches on the three needles, either by using a bulkier yarn or by knitting a larger sock (men's socks), they do sell "sock double pointed needles". They are a package of five instead of four needles. I have a set in the #2 size. It relieves the stitch crowding that can occur at the beginning of the gusset. They are nice to have, but not necessary.

Lots of love and good knitting wishes to you. Post a picture of you sock when you finish. Ms. D.

Congratulations, you're almost through the toughest part. Being able to think about it and solve your own stitch distributions are a key part of maturing as a knitter. Next year, you'll be throwing away your knitting patterns and doing it all in your head.

If you do get too many stitches on the three needles, either by using a bulkier yarn or by knitting a larger sock (men's socks), they do sell "sock double pointed needles". They are a package of five instead of four needles. I have a set in the #2 size. It relieves the stitch crowding that can occur at the beginning of the gusset. They are nice to have, but not necessary.

Lots of love and good knitting wishes to you. Post a picture of you sock when you finish. Ms. D.

Congratulations! This is a great achievement. Like Ms D says, you are well on your way. The gusset decreases will seem like simplicity itself now you have done the heel and then you can just knit round and round until the toe (which is usually nice and easy too). Sock knitting is dangerously addictive though....

Yes, it is very addicting and fun. Thanks! I can't believe I figured it out. That was a good feeling too. Then I looked and thought well of course that makes sense, why didn't I see it that way right away LOL!

I will definitely post pictures when I get it done. I am already thinking about what I want to make next. I love it!