Menu

Weird/Creepy Neighborhood thing happened...

So we are sitting in our hs room working. The room is in our living room so I have full view of the street. I see a man in a suv speed in front of our house and take pictures of the street in front of him. He then turns and sticks the camera out the window and takes a picture of our house. He drives past our house, turns around (corner lot) and drives past our house again this time taking a picture of the house across from us. Then he speeds off in the direction he came. I wasn't paying attention to him the first time so I don't know if he was taking pictures of the houses down the road too. What on earth could this person be doing?

My Dad has done something like that.

When we were last on a long family trip (24 hour drive away from home). He drove up the the house we use to live in. Stuck the camera out of the car, took the picture of the house, did the same to the house of our old neighbor. Then drove off. We had not lived in that house for 20 years.

Well a person was outside an saw him do it, and jumped in his car and followed us. After a couple minutes my Dad pulled over and so did that guy. He jumped out of his car and came up to my Dad and started questioning him.

After explaining himself my Dad left, and the guy followed us to make sure we were in fact leaving town. He didn't follow to long. (We were on our way home so had 24 hours of driving ahead of us)

Yes I found my Dad's desire to have a picture of the house we lived in 20 years ago.

ETA: I felt creepy being in the car when my Dad did this. But I was not expecting it. The house was just a minute drive off the road we were driving on. It happened quickly, and I didn't know what to say. He would have looked just like the person mentioned by the OP.

He just likes what I consider weird pictures. He has boxes full of photos such as , "The underside of the sink from 6 angles, taken during repair work" or a box of photos of places he had been to when a kid, .... This was pictures not taken as a kid, but 10 to 30 years later.

Edited by Julie Smith

My Dad has done something like that.

When we were last on a long family trip (24 hour drive away from home). He drove up the the house we use to live in. Stuck the camera out of the car, took the picture of the house, did the same to the house of our old neighbor. Then drove off. We had not lived in that house for 20 years.

Well a person was outside an saw him do it, and jumped in his car and followed us. After a couple minutes my Dad pulled over and so did that guy. He jumped out of his car and came up to my Dad and started questioning him.

After explaining himself my Dad left, and the guy followed us to make sure we were in fact leaving town. He didn't follow to long. (We were on our way home so had 24 hours of driving ahead of us)

Yes I found my Dad's desire to have a picture of the house we lived in 20 years ago.

Hmmm I don't think that's it. There has only been one other owner in the house. Our neighborhood is less than 10 years old. There is a ton of new construction going on. My best guess is it's someone trying to decide on which house plan or landscaping but I'm still creeped out. I wish I had seen him coming. I was about to run outside and yell at him but he was really speeding.

That same thing happened to us just a few months ago.

Even if the reason is legit, like for insurance or appraisal value, I find it odd that they wouldn't knock and let us know what they were doing. As soon as I stepped foot outside, they burned rubber out of the driveway. Very strange and creepy.

Hmmm I don't think that's it. There has only been one other owner in the house. Our neighborhood is less than 10 years old. There is a ton of new construction going on. My best guess is it's someone trying to decide on which house plan or landscaping but I'm still creeped out. I wish I had seen him coming. I was about to run outside and yell at him but he was really speeding.

My Dad would also sometimes offer us photos taken in a similar creepy fashion. "I was in your old neighborhood so I drove past were your house use to be. I took these pictures so you can see what it was made into (a nice mini condo/house".

So if you guys lived in Canada, you could blame my Dad for all the creepy photo taking.

My guess would be an appraiser getting pics of similar houses for "like value" homes, but don't they usually pick houses that have sold within the last 12 months?

I have been known to take pics of houses where I like the landscaping to keep for my ideas file.

And I did take a pic of the home I grew up in when I drove through that town a few years ago. But when the owners came out, I did explain to them why I was doing it.

Sounds creepy and I wouldn't like it either, but it's probably something as innocuous as a real estate agent getting pictures of "like" homes to estimate Fair Market Value.

I didn't think that this would be the way Realtors would get comparables. But maybe. . .

I'd contact the police and ask them what they think.

Alley

Sounds creepy and I wouldn't like it either, but it's probably something as innocuous as a real estate agent getting pictures of "like" homes to estimate Fair Market Value.

I bet you are right!! I'm going to make myself think that! We also have lots of houses for sale. I'm going with that explanation lol. I'm still left with that creeped out feeling though!

My Dad would also sometimes offer us photos taken in a similar creepy fashion. "I was in your old neighborhood so I drove past were your house use to be. I took these pictures so you can see what it was made into (a nice mini condo/house".

So if you guys lived in Canada, you could blame my Dad for all the creepy photo taking.

We did just move here from Ontario!

Where is "here".

(I'm not trying to get details to take pictures of your house, province or state is detailed enough for my curiosity - or even country if you are hiding from creepy car picture taking people)

I live in SE Michigan, halfway between Ann Arbor and Detroit. We moved from Belleville.

I didn't think that this would be the way Realtors would get comparables. But maybe. . .

I'd contact the police and ask them what they think.

Alley

We got a whole folder of area houses, with pictures, when we've gone through appraisals. They got the pictures somehow :001_smile:.

Most likely a property appraiser. They don't waste time asking, they just shoot the pictures and leave. He was probably speeding to avoid being questioned or just speeding to get it done in a hurry.

Yep. This happened to us once and I confronted the person. He was an appraiser.

Most likely a property appraiser. They don't waste time asking, they just shoot the pictures and leave. He was probably speeding to avoid being questioned or just speeding to get it done in a hurry.

:iagree:Property appraisers do this all the time and they don't feel any need to ask the homeowner. Also, my dh is an architect and he takes pictures of houses he likes or houses with good (or really bad) architectural elements.

When we were house hunting, we took pictures of houses we were interested and pictures of the neighborhoods so we could keep everything straight. We did this without the real estate agent since we wanted to quickly rule in or out certain houses or neighborhoods before going around with an agent for closer looks.

The google stuff creeps me out to be honest. One of the images has my child in it. Another is so recent it shows changes made to the house and property this summer.

Our tax assessors regularly take pictures of properties for their purposes. Sometimes it is every house, sometimes just one or 2 if someone has asked for their property to be reassessed.

maybe it was google streetmapping.

Google's cars have car-mounted cameras, like this one. It's not some guy sticking his head out the window.

(Edited to delete image)

I don't think it's creepy to take a picture of the house you grew up in. If I did it, though, I'd knock on the door first and chat with the current owners. I'd ask them as a courtesy if they minded my taking a picture. If nobody was home, though, I'd snap away.

I've had people do the same at two houses I've lived in and once in California my whole extended family visited the old family home. They invited us in for a tour!

I took photos of a few random houses that I liked when we were planning our front landscaping. My DH is very visual, so I had to show him exactly what I liked.

Someone took a picture of our garden once. I couldn't believe it, as I'm a terrible gardener. But we did have a huge vegetable patch in our front yard in the middle of the city, and that's unusual, I guess. I just wish it had been better weeded that day!

This. Chatting with every homeowner he used for a comp would seriously cut down what he could accomplish in a day.

Then they stood in the driveway and took a pic of themselves.

These were not appraisers. There cannot be ANY people in the photos they send in with the report.

There was a woman doing the same thing in my neighborhood and I ran out of the house and asked her what she was doing. She told me she worked for the city and was taking pictures for tax assessment purposes. To be honest, I don't live in a particularly nice neighborhood. It isn't dangerous, just sort of run down. I noticed she was taking pictures of cruddy roofs and broken gutters. She was very nice about it when I asked.

Google's cars have car-mounted cameras, like this one. It's not some guy sticking his head out the window.

Then I'd go with the appraiser. Seems more likely to do a quick pic and run. Google maps gets more photos of the street, anyway. Wondered how they got those shots--the camera on the car makes sense. Probably swivels around.

Two older women did this to me at our house before. The actually pulled into our driveway and were taking pictures. I went out to ask them what was going on (we live in the country). They told me their father had built our house and then they commented on how much work we had done to the place. We doubled the size of the house, and have planted lots of trees.