Menu

What grade level is multiplying fractions?

Through k12 I believe the first time was 5th grade math. I'll double check the 4th grade book we still have and see but I think that was just adding/subtracting fractions.

Upon checking the 4th grade book - there is multiplication and division but only with a fraction times a whole number - fraction times fraction isn't until 5th.

Late 5th grade in our local school district.

It's in the 5A book of Singapore Math US ED, however I think it's 4th grade in Singapore and the concept is played around with visually, if memory serves, at the end of the 4B book. I think it is also lightly introduced towards the end of the 4th grade book in Rod and Staff math.

Faith

Possibly "foreshadowing" in 4th. (Brief intro, without full variations, no intro of division of fractions.)

Intro in 5th.

More expansive practice in 6th, with more word problems, etc.

Mastered in 7th, with it as one step in more complex, multi-step problems, and (after being reviewed briefly) used throughout the book rather than focused on in just one chapter.

Most math topics, in most texts, seem to be covered in this three-year, intro/practice/master, way.

Edited by askPauline

This is surprising to me.

Because it seems late? Or early?

Miquon has multiplying fractions and whole numbers in really simple ways starting in first grade. But that's weird. I think MM has that - also the really simple stuff like 1/2 X 100 or 1/3 x 9 in the third grade fractions section?

Because it seems late? Or early?

Miquon has multiplying fractions and whole numbers in really simple ways starting in first grade. But that's weird. I think MM has that - also the really simple stuff like 1/2 X 100 or 1/3 x 9 in the third grade fractions section?

MM has 1/2 x 100 in CH 2 of 3A in the into to multiplication chapter.